Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is the absolute best comfort food and it is so simple to make in the slow cooker. This recipe can feed a crowd and it is so easy on the budget while tasting incredible.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe:
It doesn’t get any easier than this amazing Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. All the ingredients go into the slow cooker and that is really all the work there is. This soup is loaded with flavor and made with simple ingredients.
Your crock pot does all the work and dinner will be ready and waiting. Make Crockpot Tortilla Soup easily in the morning and it is ready when you get home from work.
All the ingredients gets placed in the slow cooker for an amazing soup recipe. You can easily make this soup in your instant pot or on your stove top. This recipe is perfect for a chilly day, but to be honest, we like it anytime of the year.
You might also like this Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Black Beans
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles (roasted tomatoes are also good
- Chicken Broth
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Salt
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Crock Pot:
- Step 1 – Please ingredients in slow cooker – Toss everything in your crockpot (not including chips, cheese, and cilantro) in the morning.
- Step 2 – Slow Cook Chicken Tortilla Soup- Cover and cook on low all day (6 to 8 hours).
- Step 3 – Shred Chicken – Once cooked, shred chicken and place back into the crockpot. Stir.
- Step 4 – Serve and Enjoy – To Serve, spoon into a bowl, top with crushed tortilla chips or add tortilla strips. We also like to add shredded cheese and fresh cilantro if you have it.
Tips for Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Prepare in advance – You can prepare the ingredients ahead of time. You can easily place in a freezer bag and place in the freezer. You can even make this soup with frozen chicken.
- Cooking – We like to cook on low for about 6 hours, but you can cook on high for about 4 hours if you prefer.
What to Serve with Chicken Tortilla Soup:
This soup is perfect served by itself but we like to serve it with a side of tortilla chips or crushed chips. You can even let your kids do the chip crushing, because that is the best part with this dinner. My kids love this easy slow cooker soup.
It’s really good with fresh lime juice squeezed on top.
- Chips and Queso – Anytime we make this soup, I love to have a side of chips and queso. This queso recipe is creamy, delicious and easy to make.
- Guacamole – A side of guacamole is perfect served with this soup or to serve on top.
- Salsa – Chips and salsa is an amazing side for this soup recipe.
- Cornbread – This cheddar jalapeno cornbread recipe would be delicious served with this soup. It give this soup a little extra kick because of the jalanpeno.
- Chicken – We used chicken breast in this recipe but you can easily use chicken thighs or chicken tenders. If you have leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken it can easily be added to this soup.
- Meatless – You can even make this soup without the chicken for a hearty veggie soup.
- Beans – We used black beans in this recipe, but you can use any type of beans. Pinto beans would also be a good addition or substitute for this recipe.
- Change the Seasoning – Instead of the seasoning in the recipe, substitute them for a packet of taco seasoning or make homemade taco seasoning.
- Enchilada Sauce – Add in a can of enchilada sauce for flavor and a creamy broth.
- Cream Cheese – You can try making Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup slow cooker recipe by adding cream cheese. Yum!
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate any leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days. We really enjoy this soup leftover as the ingredients marinate together overnight which makes it very flavorful.
How to Freeze Chicken Tortilla Soup:
This recipe freezes great. Sometimes I make a double batch of Chicken Tortilla Soup to have the extra to freeze. The consistency is the same as the day you made it. Just reheat and you have delicious soup for those busy nights.
We like freezing this soup in freezing safe individual containers. This makes a perfect lunch for my husband. If you need to tips and tricks on How to Freeze Soup, we have all the details here.
If stored properly this soup will stay good for about 3 to 4 months.
How to Reheat:
We recommend heating the leftovers on the stovetop. This ensure that it heats thoroughly. This soup can be heated in the microwave in a microwave safe container.
If heating in the microwave, heat in 1 minute intervals until heated thoroughly.
How to Thicken this Chicken Tortilla Soup:
The broth on this chicken tortilla soup is usually thin because of the chicken broth. But you can easily thicken the soup with cornstarch, flour or a roux.
We have even added some cream cheese for a creamier and thicker broth.
We like to top ours with crushed up tortilla chips. Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla soup is also good with tortilla strips made from corn tortillas.
Other ideas include:
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Green Onion
- Hot Sauce
- Fresh Lime
We have even used strips of corn tortillas. You can easily what you have.
This is the Best Chicken Tortilla soup!
Easy Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup:
Your entire family is going to be impressed with this Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup slow cooker recipe. It is loaded with delicious flavor. The ingredients are simple and always a family favorite soup.
Need a budget friendly soup to keep you warm this winter? Try our favorite Crock Pot Taco Rice Soup Recipe made from leftovers.
Soup is just as a good leftover as it was the first time you make it. This soup can be changed to what you have on hand. The perfect soup for a weeknight meal or to feed a crowd.
Print this Easy Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe:
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 3 boneless chicken breasts (can be frozen)
- 1 can black beans Rinsed and Drained
- 1 cup corn
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Garlic Salt
- Tortilla Strips (optional for topping)
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional for topping)
- Fresh cilantro (optional for topping)
- 1 Avocado (optional for topping)
- Place the chicken, tomatoes, beans, onions, corn, broth and seasonings in the crock pot. in the morning. Cook on low all day (6 to 8 hours). Once cooked, shred chicken and place back into the crockpot. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred the chicken and serve topped with the tortilla strips, shredded cheese, avocado and cilantro. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Easy Crock Pot Chicken Soup Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
- Check out Cinco de Mayo Recipes more easy recipes.
This was really yummy. I used a rotisserie chicken so I had to double the broth. Still turned out so good.
Love how tender the chicken turned out. Definitely will make again! Great with cheese quesadillas!
This was really good. I am freezing in lunch size portions for quick lunches!
I made this with leftover rotisserie chicken. It was yummy. Even my brother loved it. Definitely something I will make again this winter
So delicious. I did add more cumin and cayenne than the recipe called for (I measured out 2 tsp each then just eyeballed some more) and added some cayenne powder to give it some more spice. Really easy, cheap, and yummy recipe that I will be repeating often. Thanks!
See More Comments