Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is the best comfort food. Loaded with shredded chicken in a creamy broth with tons of Mexican flavor, this soup is sure to be a family favorite.
Crockpot Creamy Tortilla Soup Recipe
This soup is one of our favorite soups to enjoy once the weather turns cool or really year round! I have been known to fix this on crisp Fall days and rainy Summer afternoons.
Anytime is a good time to enjoy this easy chicken tortilla soup recipe. It is so easy and just really delicious!
Each bite is bursting with tons of flavor and it is so hearty. We really love this easy soup.
Crock pot creamy chicken tortilla soup is so easy to make!
This recipe is one of the easiest meal ideas. If you can toss ingredients into the slow cooker, you can make this meal.
Let the slow worker do all of the work and come home to dinner ready to enjoy! It is the perfect meal for busy weeknights when you are running from work and activities.
This easy creamy chicken tortilla soup can feed a crowd on a budget!
This meal takes very little work to put together. Plus, this recipe only calls for 3 chicken breasts.
You can really stretch your meat budget with recipe likes this one. Stretch that meat into a delicious soup that can easily feed a crowd or your hungry family.
The chicken gets shredded with all of the other tasty ingredients for a hearty and filling meal. In fact, you can even add extra corn or chicken broth to help stretch this meal even more.
It is so easy to make, and very frugal friendly. This soup really stretches your chicken because you don’t need much and it is packed with flavor.
You could also chicken thighs in this soup instead of the chicken breasts. I often just use what is on sale.
You will need a crock pot.
You do need a crock pot to make this easy soup recipe.
If you are in the market for something new, I really love this Instant Pot Aura. The nice thing about this is you can brown the meat in the same slow cooker which is so convenient.
It is so handy to just have the one pan to clean. It has become of my favorite kitchen appliances.
I also really like this crockpot as well. I use this all the time and it’s great but any slow cooker will work for this recipe.
What ingredients are needed?
- Chicken Breasts – Chicken thighs would also work for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth – You can use water if you don’t have any broth on hand but I really recommend broth when making soups as it adds a creamy and delicious flavor.
- Green Chilies – Generally, I used canned but fresh diced up would work as well.
- Corn – Frozen or canned corn is needed for this recipe. If you use canned, make sure to drain it first.
- Taco Seasoning – I use homemade taco seasoning but a packet will work too.
- Sour Cream – This gives the soup it’s creamiest. You can use plain greek yogurt instead for a lower calorie count.
- Cheddar Cheese – I recommend shredding your own over using the pre-shredded as it melts more evenly in the soup.
- Cilantro and Tortilla Strips – These are both optional for topping the soup but both add a delicious flavor that I recommend not skipping them. Plus I love the crunch that the tortilla strips add to this soup.
How do you make Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Place the chicken in the slow cooker and top with everything except the sour cream and shredded cheese.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. You can cook on high for 3-4 hours if you prefer.
Shred the chicken once everything is finished cooking and place it back in the slow cooker.
Now, it is time to add the sour cream and the shredded cheese. This is what makes it all so creamy and delicious.
Cover and cook until everything is melted and blended together. This generally takes about 15-20 minutes.
It really easy that easy to make this delicious and creamy soup.
What to serve with crock pot creamy chicken tortilla soup?
This soup is great served as an appetizer or the main dish.
If you’re serving this soup as an appetizer, I love serving it with my favorite tacos, burritos or quesadilla recipe.
If you’re serving it as the main dish, I usually top it with my favorite toppings and serve it with my favorite homemade rolls recipe.
Topping ideas for creamy chicken tortilla soup:
Here are a few of my favorite toppings for this soup.
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla strips, crushed up tortilla chips or pieces of corn tortillas
- green onion
- diced tomatoes
- hot sauce
- fresh lime
How to store:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 4-5 days. You can also freeze these leftovers for up to 3 months.
Can you freeze before making it?
Yes, you can. However, I would put everything but the sour cream and cheddar cheese in a freezer bag when freezing the ingredients together.
Then all you have to do is dump the freezer bag ingredients in your crock pot and dinner will be easy. Then just stir in the sour cream and cheddar cheese at the end of the cook time.
- Use Cream Cheese – You can use cream cheese instead of sour cream in this recipe to make a creamy and cheesey soup.
- Add Beans – You can add your favorite type of beans. Black beans, pinto beans or any white beans would be delicious in this soup. I love the beans, corns and chicken combination in any soup.
- Use a different type of cheese. – I love using cheddar cheese in this recipe but Monterey Jack or pepper jack cheese (for a little) kick would be delicious in this soup too.
Print this slow cooker creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe below:
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can green chilies
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups cheddar cheese hand shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro optional
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips crushed
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Top with the chicken broth, green chilies, corn, and taco seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours, or high for 4.
- Remove the chicken, shred and return to the crock pot.
- Stir in the sour cream and the shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook until melted.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, like tortilla strips, more cheese and cilantro.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other easy crock pot soup recipes:
- Crock pot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Black Bean Cilantro Soup
- Easy Crock pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Easy Crock pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Easy Crockpot Stuffed Peppers Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Creamy Taco Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Easy Crock Pot Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Ham and Potato Soup Crock pot Recipe
- Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Recipe