Learn how to make chicken stock and save money from the store bought version. This is much better and packed with a ton of flavor. You will love the difference.
Easy Homemade Chicken Stock Recipe:
Flavored with fresh chicken, vegetables, and seasonings you will be amazed at how deliciously different stock from scratch tastes verses the box kind from the store. Every time you make a chicken or turkey breast, freeze the carcass to make your own stock at a later date.
It is worth the extra time and really very simple. The difference is amazing and you won’t ever go back to store bought stock. Simmering bones form whole chicken and chicken bones with seasoning makes the best chicken stock.
Making your own chicken stock is easy to do. You will be able to enjoy many healthy benefits from doing it yourself. Save time and money and make Homemade Chicken Stock.
What is Chicken Broth?
Chicken broth is made of chicken, water, vegetables and seasoning. You can definitely add in your own touch of ingredients, but make sure that you have these 4 components of ingredients.
The best vegetables to make your stock with is garlic, onions, celery and carrots. The herbs include, thyme, rosemary peppercorns and bay leaves.
Making chicken stock is easy to do and adding your own touch and flavor is up to you. Add the chicken bones, vegetables and seasoning to a large pot and simmer.
Is Chicken Broth and Chicken Stock the same?
It is not the same. Chicken stock is made from chicken bones and the chicken carcass is used.
Chicken broth is made from the meat and has a different flavor typically than bone broth.
What to do with Homemade Chicken Stock?
There are many ways to use Homemade Chicken Stock. This key ingredient gives so many dishes so much flavor.
Having homemade chicken stock will really enhance many dishes because of the quality of the chicken stock. Having it on hand will add so much flavor.
- Simmer in a soup
- Use to cook rice
- Cook many different pasta dishes
Chicken Stock Ingredients:
- Entire Cooked or Raw Chicken
- Stalks of Celery
- Salt and Pepper
- Bulbs Crushed Garlic
How to Make Chicken Stock:
- Step 1 – Add chicken and vegetable to pot of water – First, place your chicken in a large stock pot with vegetables and herbs. And enough cold water to completely cover -at least 4 quarts.
- Step 2 – Boil and cook chicken – Bring to a boil on high heat and skim foam off the top as it cooks, reduce to a simmer. Cook chicken for an hour.
- Step 3 – Remove Chicken – If using a whole chicken- Take chicken out of the pot, remove chicken meat for other recipes. Place in a large bowl.
How long should you Cook Chicken Stock?
- Step 1 – Add bones and skin to pot – Return bones and skin to pot and simmer for 3-4 hours, skimming the top as needed.
- Step 2 – Strain Broth – Turn off heat, skim off the fat, strain broth through a sieve or cheesecloth to remove small particles. Allow to cool.
- Step 3 – Store – Place in an airtight container or freezer bag to store.
This recipe Yields about 2 quarts. Keep reading for the full recipe.
Can you Make Chicken Stock in the Crock Pot?
Yes, you can make chicken stock in the crock pot. Making chicken stock is as simple as making it in a large pot. But we like making it in the slow cooker. You can add the ingredients in the morning and let it cook all day while you are not at home.
Following the recipe as indicated on cooking the chicken in the slow cooker with the vegetables. Then remove the chicken and add the bones and skins back in the slow to continue cooking.
You can allow the ingredient to cook from 12 to 24 hours.
How Much does this Actually Cost?
Since you are already buying the chicken for dinner and you were probably going to toss it out – the only cost involved is the veggies. Those are cheap already. Woohoo!!
I try to use what we have and make the most of ingredients already on hand. This homemade stock is so easy to make when you are already making a chicken.
You can also try chicken stock slow cooker version for an even easier way to make this.
We love to make a chicken in the slow cooker or instant pot for a quick dinner and you can use it to make broth after you enjoy the chicken. We love the pressure cooker for super fast meals.
Why Make Homemade Stock?
Homemade stock does not compare the stock that you buy at the store. You know exactly the ingredients you are adding and you get the full health benefits.
Making homemade stock is budget friendly and full of rich flavor. It makes the homemade soups and dishes taste so much better.
Chicken Stock Tips:
- Add Chicken – Depending on how rich you want your stock will depend on how much chicken to add. For a light, rich flavored chicken stock use about 4 pounds of chicken.
- Plenty of Vegetables – When making the stock you want to make sure that you add in plenty of vegetables. We recommend chopped onion, carrots, celery and garlic. We also like adding in bay leaves and other fresh herbs. You can also toss in the green leafy leaves.
- Cook on Low – When making the stock, allow the stock to gentle simmer at a low heat.
- Bones and Vegetables – If you cooking the chicken stock in a slow cooker, do not allow for the ingredients to cook longer than 24 hours. Any longer and the nutrients will be removed from the stock.
- Fine Mesh Strainer – Use a fine mesh strainer to remove any small particles before using or storing the chicken stock.
- Short on Bones – If you do not have enough bones or none at all and want to make chicken stock, check with your local grocery store. You can easily find turkey neck to cook the stock from.
- Chicken Options – Use whole chicken, chicken wings, turkey, or chicken legs. Any of these bones can be used to make a delicious chicken stock.
How to Store Homemade Chicken Stock?
The finished and cooled stock can be stored in mason jars in the refrigerator or frozen in quart or gallon zippered bags. I have also frozen it in my silicone cupcake pan.
Then I pop them out and store them in a gallon freezer bag. That is nice for when I just need a little bit for dinner.
How long does it Last?
If you store this in the fridge, it will last 3 to 4 days. For extended use, keep the homemade stock in the freezer and it will last up to 3 months.
Easy Homemade Chicken Stock:
You are going to love this Homemade Chicken Stock Recipe. It is the best ingredient when making your favorite soups and other dishes. The flavor is amazing and you will love how easy it is to make.
Stock should be very aromatic with a savory flavor. Adding it to recipes you want it to combine naturally with the other ingredients. You do not want it to overpower the other ingredients.
It is the perfect addition to any soup, sauce, or gravy that you are making.
See – making homemade is very easy and so simple! Give it a try today!
Print this Homemade Chicken Stock Recipe below:
How to Make Chicken Stock
- 1 entire cooked or raw chicken
- 3-4 carrots carrots
- 1 large onion
- 4-5 stalks of celery
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 4 bulbs crushed garlic
- Place your chicken in a large pot with vegetables, and enough water to completely cover -at least 4 quarts.
- Bring to a boil and skim foam off the top as it cooks, reduce to a simmer. Cook chicken for an hour.
- If using a whole chicken- Take chicken out pot, remove meat for other recipes.
- Return bones and skin to pot and simmer for 3-4 hours, skimming the top as needed.
- Turn off heat, skim off the fat, strain broth through a sieve or cheesecloth to remove small particles. Allow to cool.
- Place in an airtight container or freezer bag to store.
- Chicken stock can be stored in refrigerator up to 3 days or in freezer for up to 3 months.
- This recipe Yields about 2 quarts.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Recipes to use Homemade Chicken Stock:
- Crock Pot Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole recipe
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe