This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crock pot rice is a time saver. You set it and forget it for an easy side dish.
Crock pot rice recipe
Crock pot rice is a family favorite and one of my favorite ways to save money. It is a great way to enjoy an easy but delicious gluten free side dish.
I can cook an entire pound or two of rice in 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours without ever having to look at the pan. sure, cooking rice on the stove is easy, but you have to keep watching it, stirring it, and making sure you don’t burn the bottom of the rice.
With slow cooker rice, I can set it and forget it. If I can clean or play with the kids while my rice is cooking then I’m much better off.
How to Freeze Rice
Then what I do, is divide that crock pot rice into equal containers to freeze. It is the best idea and a must try if you want to save time and money.
It is really so easy to freeze rice. I then can pop my frozen rice in to the microwave for my own cheaper (or free) minute rice. Make sure you read my post on how to freeze rice.
Can you cook rice in a crock pot?
Yes, and it is my favorite way to cook rice. This is the easiest way to make rice and I guarantee it will turn out fluffy every time.
Ingredients for the best crock pot rice:
- 4 cups rice
- 8 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
How to cook rice in a crock pot:
First, rinse the rice.
Add the rice in the slow cooker. Pour salt and water over the rice in your crockpot.
You can do 2-4 cups of rice. 4 cups of rice is an entire 1 lb package so that is what I always do.
You will want to make sure you have double the water than you do rice. So if you are cooking 2 cups of rice, use 4 cups of water.
If you cook 4 cups of rice, you will need 8 cups of water (at least). I always add in a bit more.
What rice can you cook in the slow cooker:
Slow cooker rice is easy to make with any grain of rice. Brown Rice, basmati rice, or white rice all very easy to make in the slow cooker.
How to season rice:
You can season it however you want, but I wanted to give you a few ideas to make your slow cooker rice even tastier.
- Chicken broth will instantly give you more flavor in your rice.
- Stir in garlic salt – Garlic will jazz up any plain rice.
- Add Butter – Throw in 2-3 tablespoons of butter when cooking the rice for a buttery flavor.
- Stir in Parmesan Cheese – When the rice is finished, add in salt and parmesan cheese. Grated parmesan cheese will melt more smoothly and will make an amazing flavor.
- Mix in Salsa and ground cumin for a Spanish rice.
- Sprinkle in some soy sauce when the rice is finished.
- Stir in shredded cheddar cheese and milk when the rice is cooked for cheesy rice.
- See How to Season White Rice for more ideas.
How to Cook Brown Rice in a crock pot:
The type of rice does not change much to the recipe. You will still do the same amount of rice per liquid ratio, but the cooking time will increase.
Brown rice takes about 3 hours to cook on high.
How much does this crockpot rice cost?
I always stock up when I see rice on sale. It makes it so inexpensive and a really frugal side dish for dinner.
1 lb of rice is about $2, versus $3 for a box of instant rice that has about a ½ of the amount of rice inside. You can easily save 50% just by making your rice ahead of time and freezing it.
This slow cooker rice is the so easy and you can use basmati rice, long grain rice, brown rice or anything you prefer for this rice recipe.
We love using the crock pot and it’s easier than the stove top.
Print this crock pot rice recipe below:
Crock pot Rice recipe
- 4 cups Rice
- 8 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- Place the rice on the bottom of the crockpot and season with the salt.
- Pour water over the rice. (You want double the water as rice, so if you have 2 cups of rice, you will need 4 cups of water).
- Cook on high for 1 ½ to 2½ hours for white rice.
- Fluff with a fork and serve or freeze.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Make sure you check out all my Crock Pot recipes here.
Try these easy rice recipes:
- Easy Spanish Rice Recipe
- Dirty Rice Recipe
- How to Season White Rice
- easy Fried Rice Recipe
- how to season brown rice