This Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe is definitely a family favorite in my house! I always make extras, hoping for leftovers, but my family devours them because they are so delicious!
Easy Grilled Chicken Fajita Recipe:
When I make grilled chicken fajitas, I love to make everything on the grill so clean up is a breeze. This recipe is perfect for those beautiful summer nights when everyone is enjoying being outside and you don’t want to go in to make dinner.
Chicken Fajita is the perfect weeknight meal. We love the way the chicken comes out tender and juicy. The onions are perfectly cooked and how the red and green peppers add color to the dinner.
The combination of these ingredients make for the best chicken fajitas. We love that we can serve them in a soft taco shell or on rice. These Grilled Chicken Fajita’s are a family favorite and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
What is Fajita Seasoning?
First, you’ll need a good grilled chicken fajitas seasoning. You can buy it in the spices aisle in your grocery store but I prefer to make mine own and I promise it’s really simple to do.
I wrote another recipe on how to create this fajita seasoning. It’s a combination of spices I bet you already own like chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper. They are mixed together to make a fajita seasoning.
I usually make a large batch and keep it on hand in a mason jar so that I’m ready for when I’m creating these chicken fajitas.
Other Homemade Seasonings:
Making your own seasonings helps you save money by avoiding these costly packets and you know exactly what you’re putting on your food. You can easily control the spice level by creating your own seasonings.
If you enjoy making this fajita seasoning, I hope you check out these other great homemade seasoning recipes.
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- Easy Homemade Chili Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Blackened Seasoning Recipe
Ok, enough about the seasonings (even though it’s one of my favorite topics), let’s get to creating these beautiful fajitas!
It doesn’t take much to prepare this recipe. I find with chicken fajitas it’s best to keep things simple and let the ingredients add the delicious flavor to the recipe.
- Fajita Seasoning
- Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
- Fresh Lime, Juiced
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Red Bell Peppers
- Green Bell Peppers
- White Onions
- Flour Tortillas
I bet you already have most of this in your refrigerator! Now let’s get started on creating this recipe that will impress your entire family.
How to make Chicken Fajitas on the Grill
- Prepare the Chicken – First, I like to the filet the chicken so that they are roughly about the same size about 1 inch thick. This ensures that they all take about the same time to cook and they’ll be ready around the same time on the grill.
- Cut chicken into strips – To filet a chicken breast, you cut it in half long wise so it’s not as thick as the chicken breast is in its original state. If your chicken breasts are thinner, this step would not be required.
- Combine Chicken and Seasoning – Next, I put the chicken breasts and the fajita seasoning in a bag and shake so the chicken is thoroughly coated with this seasoning.
- Drizzle with Oil and Lime – Then you add the chicken to a small bowl. Next you drizzle the oil and squeeze the fresh lime juice over the chicken.
- Allow Chicken to Marinate – Stir these ingredients to combine and allow the chicken breasts to marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- Marinate overnight if possible – I like to do this part the night before so that the chicken has plenty of time to soak up the delicious flavor from the fajita marinade.
- Grill Chicken – After the chicken marinades, place the chicken breasts on a pre-heated grill. Next, cook the chicken on the grill on medium high heat for at least 20 minutes (10 minutes per side).
- Remove Chicken – Once the chicken is finish grilling, remove from the grill.
Prepare the Peppers and Onions:
- Cut Peppers and Onions – Next cut the bell peppers into quarters and slice the onions into fat rings so they don’t fall through the grill grate.
- Grill Vegetables – Then place the cut peppers and onions directly on the grill. This makes the best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe!
- Continue cooking – Grill the peppers and onions for approximately 5 minutes or until they are the tenderness that you prefer for your fajita recipe.
- Grill the Tortillas – Next you place the flour tortillas on the grill to heat them as well. I prefer to put them on the bottom rack so that they get these beautiful grill marks.
- Assemble Chicken Fajita – For the final step in preparing these chicken fajita recipes, slice the cooked chicken, peppers and onions. Assemble with your cooked flour tortillas, chicken and veggies and serve with your favorite side dish and toppings.
Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas in Foil:
If you are concerned that the peppers and onions will fall through the grill grates, you can make this great recipe in foil packs. Foils packs are a great way to cook any type of food on the grill.
- For this recipe, I would slice the chicken, bell peppers and onions prior to cooking.
- Next I would mix these items with the seasonings and oil just liked I did with the chicken in the original recipe.
- Then I would put these items in a foil pack and place them on the grill for approximately 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.
If you like cooking with foil packs, I hope you check out these other great foil pack recipes. These chicken fajita’s can also be cooked in a cast iron skillet.
- Easy Enchilada Foil Packet Meal
- Foil Packet Bacon Ranch Chicken Recipe
- The Best Hobo Dinner Foil Packet Meal
Grilled Chicken Fajita Tips:
- Heat Tortilla – We like to heat our tortillas on the grill. They do not take long to heat up. They only require a few minutes so watch them closely on the grill.
- Grilled Chicken Tips – If you are not a grilling expert yet, check out our tips on How to Grill Chicken Breast – Perfectly Every Time.
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken Fajitas:
Chicken Fajita Toppings
These chicken fajitas will also taste good with any of the following toppings:
- Shredded Cheese
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Salsa Verde
- Cilantro and Lime
How to Store Leftovers:
We love having leftover chicken fajitas. They taste amazing the next day served over rice or by themselves. Store the fajitas in an air tight container and refrigerate. They will last about 3 to 4 days.
Print this Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe below:
Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 fresh lime juiced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 white onion
- 12 flour tortillas
- Filet the chicken and place in a bag or gallon size freezer bag.
- Season with the fajita seasoning and shake to coat.
- Drizzle the oil over chicken.
- Squeeze the lime over the chicken.
- Stir to combine. Let it marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the chicken on the preheated grill. Grill over medium-high heat for 20 minutes until finished.
- cut the bell peppers into quarters and place on the grill.
- Slice the onions into fat rings and place on the grill.
- Grill the peppers and onions for 5 minutes or until they are to the tenderness you like.
- When chicken and peppers are finished, remove from the grill and slice.
- Place the tortillas on the grill to warm. I like to place them on the lower rack so they get beautiful grill marks on the tortillas.
- Assemble and serve with any of your favorite fajita toppings.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe