This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe is definitely a family favorite in my house! I always make extras, hoping for leftovers, but my family devours them because they are so delicious!
Easy Grilled Chicken Fajita Recipe:
When I make grilled chicken fajitas, I love to make everything on the grill so clean up is a breeze. This recipe is perfect for those beautiful summer nights when everyone is enjoying being outside. The perfect dinner to make outside on the grill.
Chicken Fajita is the perfect weeknight meal. We love the way the chicken comes out tender and juicy. The onions are perfectly cooked and how the red and green peppers add color to the dinner.
Table of Contents
- Easy Grilled Chicken Fajita Recipe:
- What is Fajita Seasoning?
- Should I Cut Chicken for Fajitas before Cooking?
- How to make Chicken Fajitas on the Grill
- Prepare the Peppers and Onions:
- How to Heat up Tortillas:
- How Long Should you Grill Fajitas:
- How to Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas in Foil:
- Tips for Grilling Chicken fahitas:
- How to Know when Chicken is Cooked Through:
- What to Serve with Grilled Chicken Fajitas:
- Chicken Fajita Toppings
- How to Store Leftovers:
- How to Reheat:
- Print Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe:
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe Recipe
- More Grilled Chicken Recipes:
What is Fajita Seasoning?
First, you’ll need a good grilled chicken fajitas seasoning. You can buy it in the spices aisle in your grocery store. But I prefer to make mine own and I promise it’s really simple to do.
I wrote another recipe on how to create this fajita seasoning. It’s a combination of spices I bet you already own like chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper. They are mixed together to make a fajita seasoning.
Should I Cut Chicken for Fajitas before Cooking?
When we made this chicken fajita recipe we kept the chicken whole. But if you prefer you can slice the chicken first.
If making the chicken in a cast iron skillet, we will but the chicken first.
It doesn’t take much to prepare this recipe. I find with chicken fajitas it’s best to keep things simple. Let the ingredients add the delicious flavor to the recipe.
- Fajita Seasoning
- Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
- Fresh Lime, Juiced
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Red Bell Peppers
- Green Bell Peppers
- White Onions
- Flour Tortillas
How to make Chicken Fajitas on the Grill
- Step 1 – Prepare the Chicken – First, I like to the filet the chicken. This ay they are roughly about the same size about 1 inch thick. This ensures that they all take about the same time to cook. They’ll be ready around the same time on the grill.
- Step 2 – Cut chicken into strips – To filet a chicken breast, you cut it in half long wise. It’s not as thick as the chicken breast is in its original state. If your chicken breasts are thinner, this step would not be required.
- Step 3 – Combine Chicken and Seasoning – Next, I put the chicken breasts and the fajita seasoning in a bag. Then shake so the chicken is thoroughly coated with this seasoning.
- Step 4 – Drizzle with Oil and Lime – Then you add the chicken to a small bowl. Next you drizzle the oil and squeeze the fresh lime juice over the chicken.
- Step 5 – Allow Chicken to Marinate – Stir these ingredients to combine. Then allow the chicken breasts to marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- Step 6 – Marinate overnight if possible – I like to do this part the night before. So that the chicken has plenty of time to soak up the delicious flavor from the fajita marinade.
- Step 7 – Grill Chicken – After the chicken marinades, place the chicken breasts on a pre-heated grill. Next, cook the chicken on the grill on medium high heat for at least 20 minutes (10 minutes per side).
- Step 8 – Remove Chicken – Once the chicken is finish grilling, remove from the grill.
Prepare the Peppers and Onions:
- Step 1 – Cut Peppers and Onions – Next cut the bell peppers into quarters. Then slice the onions into fat rings so they don’t fall through the grill grate.
- Step 2 – Grill Vegetables – Then place the cut peppers and onions directly on the grill. This makes the best Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe!
- Step 3 – Continue cooking – Grill the peppers and onions for approximately 5 minutes. Or until they are the tenderness that you prefer for your fajita recipe.
How to Heat up Tortillas:
- Step 1 – Grill the Tortillas – Next you place the flour tortillas on the grill to heat them as well. I prefer to put them on the bottom rack so that they get these beautiful grill marks.
- Step 2 – Assemble Chicken Fajita – Slice the grilled chicken, peppers, and onions. Assemble with your cooked flour tortillas, chicken and veggies and serve with your favorite side dish and toppings.
How Long Should you Grill Fajitas:
Grilling chicken fajitas is quick and easy on the grill. Depending on how large or thick your chicken breast is, it will take about 10 minutes on each side.
Then heat the onions and pepper and tortillas for a few on the grill. You will have the dinner on the table in about 30 minutes.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas in Foil:
Make in foil packs to prevent the peppers and onions falling through the cracks. Foils packs are a great way to cook any type of food on the grill.
- For this recipe, I would slice the chicken, bell peppers and onions prior to cooking.
- Mix the chicken and peppers with the oil and seasoning.
- Once you have added loaded the foil packs, place on the grill.
Tips for Grilling Chicken fahitas:
- Heat Tortilla – We like to heat our tortillas on the grill. They do not take long to heat up. They only require a few minutes so watch them closely on the grill.
- Grilled Chicken Tips – If you are not a grilling expert yet, check out our tips. Chicken out – How to Grill Chicken Breast – Perfectly Every Time.
- Change the Tortilla – We usually use flour tortillas, but you can use corn tortillas instead of flour if you prefer.
- Change the Meat – This recipe works great for steak fajitas.
- Taco Seasoning – If you have taco seasoning instead of fajita seasoning, you definitely use it instead.
How to Know when Chicken is Cooked Through:
To make sure the chicken is cooked through, use an internal temperature to check the chicken. The internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken Fajitas:
Chicken Fajita Toppings
These chicken fajitas will also taste good with any of the following toppings:
- Shredded Cheese
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Salsa Verde
- Cilantro and Lime
How to Store Leftovers:
We love having leftover chicken fajitas. They taste amazing the next day served over rice or by themselves. Store the fajitas in an air tight container and refrigerate. They will last about 3 to 4 days.
How to Reheat:
To reheat the chicken fajitas, you can reheat in the microwave. But we recommend reheating in a cast iron skillet for the best flavor.
Print Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe:
Grilled Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Filet the chicken and place in a bag or gallon size freezer bag.
- Season with the fajita seasoning and shake to coat.
- Drizzle the oil over chicken.
- Squeeze the lime over the chicken.
- Stir to combine. Let it marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the chicken on the preheated grill. Grill over medium-high heat for 20 minutes until finished.
- cut the bell peppers into quarters and place on the grill.
- Slice the onions into fat rings and place on the grill.
- Grill the peppers and onions for 5 minutes or until they are to the tenderness you like.
- When chicken and peppers are finished, remove from the grill and slice.
- Place the tortillas on the grill to warm. I like to place them on the lower rack so they get beautiful grill marks on the tortillas.
- Assemble and serve with any of your favorite fajita toppings.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe