This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Homemade Salsa Recipe is so easy that you will not believe it. Make this in minutes and enjoy the best salsa and chips at home. Yum!
Best Homemade Salsa Recipe:
This is our favorite Homemade Salsa Recipe and we make it all the time. It is easy enough to whip up for a snack and it is seriously so good. Since you only need a few ingredients, it is a breeze to make.
My kids think it tastes just like restaurant style salsa so I think that means we have a winner. The Easy Mexican recipe calls for diced canned tomatoes but you can substitute fresh if you prefer.
I have used both and it always turns out fabulous. Just use what you have on hand because it will be delicious. This is best salsa recipe that you will ever had.
How do you Make Salsa from Scratch?
This salsa is so simple to make. With just a few ingredients, you can easily make homemade salsa. Skip the store bought jarred salsa and make this easy recipe instead.
It tastes so fresh and delicious.
What do you Need to make Easy Homemade Salsa?
You will need a food processor or a blender. We use it for so many different things and it makes chopping and dicing so fast and easy. This is a must.
I also have a lemon juicer and it is nice because it catches the seeds and gets every last bit of juice. Just another little gadget that helps make life easier.
Ingredients for Easy Homemade Salsa:
- Diced Tomatoes (I used fire roasted diced tomatoes)
- White Onion (Red onion is good too.)
- Minced Garlic
- Fresh Cilantro
- Jalapeno, deseeded
- Lime Juice
How to Make Homemade Fresh Salsa Recipe:
- Step 1 – Place the diced tomatoes in a food processor. I used fire roasted tomatoes for a richer flavor, but you can use regular tomatoes.
- Step 2 – Add in the remainding ingredients in the food processor.
- Step 3 – Juice the lime over the other ingredients.
- Step 4 – Add the lid to your food processor and pulse until well blended.
- Step 5 – If you like your salsa, chunkier, keep it on the pulse. If you like a more blended salsa like in the pictures, blend until smooth.
What Type of Canned Tomatoes Should I use?
When preparing the homemade salsa we like to use diced tomatoes, the fire roasted kind. You can easily use any type of canned tomatoes that you have on hand.
Crushed, stewed or even tomatoes with green chilies will work with this recipe.
Can I use Fresh Tomatoes?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes. Keep in mind if making salsa with fresh tomatoes the salsa will be pinker. But if you store in the refrigerator it will darken over night.
Place the recipe for homemade salsa in the fridge if the lighter color of the salsa bothers you.
Do you Peel Fresh Tomatoes before blending?
You do not have to peel the tomatoes before blending in the salsa, but it may cause the salsa to be a bit bitter. We recommend if using fresh tomatoes, then take the time to peel the tomatoes.
What if I don’t own a Food Processor?
We like to blend this delicious salsa recipe in blender or food processor. Either kitchen tools will work to blend the fresh ingredients.
Tips for the Best Homemade Salsa:
- Spicy Salsa – If you like a spicier salsa, add in a bit of an extra jalapeno. This will heat things up if you like hot salsa.
- Add Cumin – Try adding in ¼ teaspoon cumin for a smoky flavor.
- Green Onion – Chop up green onion for added flavor or to serve over the top of the salsa.
- Blending Ingredients – Blend ingredients until the consistency that you prefer. For a chunkier salsa only blend for a few minutes.
- Ingredients – When making the salsa, make sure you use fresh ingredients for the best salsa.
- Chill Salsa – For the best results, allow the salsa to chill for at least an hour.
How Long will Homemade Salsa Last:
Homemade Salsa will last about a week if stored properly in a sealed container.
Can you Freeze Homemade Salsa?
Yes, you can freeze homemade salsa. Place prepared salsa in a freezer safe container. Make sure to leave room for salsa to expand. This salsa will last about 2 months if stored properly.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Canned Tomatoes – You can also use fresh roma tomatoes in this recipe instead of canned. Just use about 4 cups of diced fresh tomatoes in replace of the canned.
- Fresh Tomatoes – I like to use fresh tomatoes in the summer when they are plentiful. It is a great way to use up tomatoes when you have an abundance.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to what you have.
Why is my Homemade Salsa Foamy?
This can happen due to the air bubbles that gets in the salsa while blending. Let it sit a few minutes and the foam should dissipate.
Everyone will love this Delicious Homemade Salsa Recipe:
Fresh salsa is so much better than the store bought versions. This restaurant style salsa is loaded with flavor and tastes amazing.
If you are looking for a recipe that tastes like your favorite Mexican restaurant, try this easy recipe. Grab some tortilla chips and enjoy.
You will never go back to store bought salsa. It is much better and super easy to prepare. Let us know how you like it.
This is the perfect salsa to make for all your game day gathering or for an appetizer while you are grilling out.
How to Serve this Homemade Salsa:
Serve the salsa with chips or the Homemade Air Fryer Tortilla Chips. The salsa is also delicious to serve with tacos, burrito bowls, nachos, soups, and even over grilled chicken or steak.
We love it over these recipes as well:
- Taco Chicken Marinade
- The Best Crockpot Chicken Tacos Recipe
- Easy Carne Asada Street Tacos Recipe
- Quick Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- Tex Mex Skillet Chicken Recipe
How to Store Homemade Salsa:
Serve immediately with your favorite chips or refrigerate until ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
We think the salsa taste even better the next day after the ingredients have marinated together. This salsa is even delicious cooking with chicken for the ultimate chicken tacos.
Print this Homemade Salsa Recipe below:
- Place the diced tomatoes in a food processor. I used fire roasted tomatoes for a richer flavor, but you can use regular tomatoes.
- Top with everything else.
- Juice the lime over the other ingredients. I use a lemon juicer to get all the juice out.
- Add the lid to your food processor and pulse until well blended.
- If you like your salsa, chunkier, keep it on the pulse. If you like a more blended salsa like in the pictures, blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately with your favorite chips or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
If you want it smoker, add in ¼ teaspoon cumin
If you want to use fresh tomatoes, use about 4 cups of diced fresh tomatoes in replace or the canned.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More asy dip recipes:
- Pico De Gallo
- Copycat Fritos Bean Dip Recipe
- Mexican Corn Salsa Recipe
- Quick Salsa Verde de Tomatillo Recipe
- Black Bean Salsa Recipe
- The Best Mexican White Cheese Dip Recipe
- Very Simple Guacamole Recipe