This Mexican white cheese dip recipe is similar to white cheese sauces served in many delicious Mexican restaurants. It is so delicious and so versatile.
You are going to love this super simple Mexican Restaurant White Sauce.
The Best Mexican White Cheese Dip Recipe
Our family loves this easy queso blanco recipe. It has become a tradition to serve it during any football game and on Taco Tuesdays around here. If I don’t serve this Mexican white cheese dip recipe with our tacos I’m going to have some upset children.
Adjust the heat for White Mexican Cheese Dip
The heat of Mexican Restaurant White Sauce can be lessened by leaving out the cayenne pepper completely.
If you want more heat, add in more cayenne pepper.
Stirring in one can of Rotel instead of the green chilies will add in more heat.
Diced jalapeños stirred into the white queso will also make it spicier.
Mexican White Queso Dip Recipe:
This queso blanco recipe is very kid friendly and will be a nice surprise to your family gatherings. It is a nice change from the normal velveeta cheese dip.
If you cannot find American cheese, I suggest you go to the deli counter at the grocery store to buy it.
Ask them to slice it for you, so you can break it into your saucepan and help it melt faster.
White American cheese is actually better priced than Velveeta, and it makes an amazing creamy white queso dip.
Make sure to use a double boiler:
Now to make your life easier, I highly recommend a double boiler to melt your cheese. It will go much smoother and will melt more evenly.
How to make White Queso Dip:
Ingredients for White Queso Recipe:
- White American cheese, find it at the deli counter at the grocery store
- Milk (maybe more if you want it thinner)
- Green Chile’s
- Garlic Salt
- Cayenne pepper – a pinch
How to make Mexican White Cheese Dip
- Place cheese, milk, and butter in a sauce pan over low heat.
- Heat until melted – stirring frequently.
- Stir in the green chillis, cumin, garlic salt, and the cayenne pepper. Remember, it doesn’t take much cayenne.
- Add more milk if you want it thinner.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips, tortillas, and your favorite mexican dish.
What kind of cheese for Queso Blanco
To make the traditional Mexican restaurant style queso blanco, use white American cheese.
It melts the best. You can also mix in a small amount of Mozzarella, pepper jack, or Monterey jack to enhance the flavor. Buy the block and then hand shred it for a spicy but smooth cheese dip.
- Mix in 1 cup cottage cheese for a different flavor.
- Consider topping with 1/2 cup queso fresco before serving.
- Replace the green chilies with a can or rotel.
- Top with diced tomatoes and jalapenos before serving.
Print this queso blanco recipe below:
This is the Best Mexican White Cheese Dip recipe. An Authentic queso dip that tastes just like the Mexican Restaurant white sauce. Your entire family is going to love this queso blanco.
- 1/2 pound white american cheese
- 1/4 cup milk maybe more if you want it thinner
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 4 oz can of green chili’s
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- .125 tsp cayenne pepper – a pinch
Place cheese, milk, and butter in a sauce pan over low heat.
Heat until melted – stirring frequently.
Stir in the green chillis, cumin, garlic salt, and the cayenne pepper. Remember, it doesn’t take much cayenne.
Add more milk if you want it thinner.
Serve immediately with chips, tortillas, and your favorite mexican dish.
It is a really simple, yet delicious dip that I know your family and friends will love. Make sure you come back and let us know the different variations that you have tried.
Try these other delicious Mexican Dishes:
- The BEST Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Taco Chicken Soup in the Crockpot
- Crockpot White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Crockpot Taco Rice Soup – Turn your left over tacos into a second meal!
- White Chicken Taco Chili Recipe
- How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning