This Mexican white cheese dip recipe is similar to white cheese sauces served in many delicious Mexican restaurants. It is so delicious and so versatile.
You are going to love this super simple Mexican Restaurant White Sauce.
The Best White Mexican Cheese Dip Recipe
Our family loves this easy queso blanco recipe. It has become a tradition to serve it during any football game and on Taco Tuesdays around here. If I don’t serve this Mexican white cheese dip recipe with our tacos I’m going to have some upset children.
Mexican White Queso Dip Recipe:
This queso blanco recipe is very kid friendly and will be a nice surprise to your family gatherings. It is a nice change from the normal velveeta cheese dip.
If you cannot find American cheese, I suggest you go to the deli counter at the grocery store to buy it.
Ask them to slice it for you, so you can break it into your saucepan and help it melt faster.
White American cheese is actually better priced than Velveeta, and it makes an amazing creamy white queso dip.
What type of pan do you need for this recipe?
Now to make your life easier, I highly recommend a double boiler to melt your cheese. It will go much smoother and will melt more evenly and you don’t have to stress about the cheese accidentally burning.
You don’t have to use a double boiler for this recipe. You can use a small saucepan, just make sure to watch it closely as you’re preparing this cheese to ensure that the cheese does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
Ingredients for White Queso Recipe:
- White American Cheese – I find this at the deli counter at my local grocery store. If you cannot find it, you can use Velveeta Blanco in this recipe instead.
- Milk – I usually use milk as it makes this cheese dip creamier. You can use heavy cream or half and half as well.
- Butter – Don’t skip the butter and make sure to use a high quality butter not margarine for this recipe. I prefer Land O Lakes butter but any 100% butter will work great in this recipe.
- Green Chiles – I use the canned ones and they work awesome. You can use fresh diced fresh green chiles as well if any are available in your area.
- Cumin – Don’t skip the cumin in this recipe. It’s add the perfect flavor to this dip recipe that you will miss! If you don’t have cumin, check out Best Substitute for Cumin.
- Garlic Salt – Garlic powder would work as well. If you use garlic powder, I recommend using ¼ of the total amount.
- Cayenne pepper – I just use a pinch and this recipe and it adds a little zip. You can use more or less depending on how spicy you enjoy your dip recipe! If you don’t like cayenne check out our Best Cayenne Pepper Substitute.
How to make Mexican White Cheese Dip
- Place cheese, milk, and butter in a sauce pan. Heat over low heat.
- Heat until melted – stirring frequently to ensure that the cheese doesn’t stick or burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the green chillies, cumin, garlic salt, and just a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Add more milk if you want the dip to be thinner or if the dip is too thin, you can continue to heat it on low until the sauce thickens to your prefer.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips, tortillas, and your favorite Mexican dish.
What kind of cheese is needed for Queso Blanco:
To make the traditional Mexican restaurant style queso blanco, use white American cheese.
It melts the best. You can also mix in a small amount of Mozzarella, pepper jack, or Monterey jack to enhance the flavor. Buy the block and then hand shred it for a spicy but smooth cheese dip.
Tips for this White Cheese Dip:
- Heat on Low – You don’t want the milk to over cook in this recipe as this will cause your cheese dip to be grainy so ensure that you are simmering the dip and watching it closely so that the milk does not over cooke.
- Stir, Stir, Stir – This cheese dip does need to be stirred frequently so that the dip does not burn and melts evenly.
- Control your Spice Level – Everyone likes different level of spice in this cheese dip recipe. If you like spicier foods, add more cayenne or stir in some diced jalapeños to increase the spice level of this dip.
Can this dip be made in a crock pot?
Yes, this dip can be made in a crock pot. Crock Pot White Cheese Dip is great to make for parties as the crock pot will keep the dip warm for you.
- Mix in 1 cup cottage cheese for a different flavor to this cheese dip recipe.
- Consider topping with ½ cup queso fresco before serving.
- Replace the green chilies with a can or Rotel to add in some diced tomatoes.
- Top with diced tomatoes and jalapeños right before serving.
- Add in brown ground beef or sausage to add some meat to this delicious dip recipe.
How to Store this Dip:
If you have any dip leftover, you can refrigerate the dip in an air tight container for up to 3-4 days or freeze the dip in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
To reheat, defrost the dip out if frozen in your refrigerator, then add a splash of milk and microwave in 20-30 second intervals stirring between each interval until the dip is heated through and warm.
Print this queso blanco recipe below:
The Best Mexican White Cheese Dip
- 1/2 pound white american cheese
- 1/4 cup milk maybe more if you want it thinner
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 4 oz can of green chili’s
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- .125 tsp cayenne pepper – a pinch
- Place cheese, milk, and butter in a sauce pan over low heat.
- Heat until melted – stirring frequently.
- Stir in the green chillis, cumin, garlic salt, and the cayenne pepper. Remember, it doesn’t take much cayenne.
- Add more milk if you want it thinner.
- Serve immediately with chips, tortillas, and your favorite mexican dish.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe