This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Pretzel Bites Recipe make a great afternoon snack or party appetizer, especially when they’re dipped in cheese sauce. Your guests will be impressed that you made homemade pretzel bites.
The Best Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe:
I love traditionally shaped Pretzels and these Homemade Pretzel Bites are no exception. The soft buttery texture make them irresistible snack anytime of the day. We like making them for our game day parties. They are even great to take to your next holiday get-together.
These homemade soft pretzel bites are great served with hot cheese dip or mustard. They are easy to make and so good. They kids will love helping with this easy recipe.
I happened upon a few recipes on Pinterest and I thought, “Pretzel Bites, those sound good.” My family and I are big fans of hot soft pretzels. Back in the day (when my kids were much smaller), my kids and I would order a soft pretzel at Sam’s Club. They are just so tasty!
Dough for Soft Pretzels Bites:
The dough for the soft pretzels may look like a long list of ingredients but really it is a simple process. You are going to be amazed as to how easy it is and that you probably have all the ingredients.
The longest part is letting your dough rise. But I use this time to clean-up and prepare my area to roll the dough.
What are pretzel bites?
Basically, it is everything you love about a soft pretzel, only in a bite-sized form. Which pretty much means that there isn’t all the work in shaping your pretzel, you just cut them and cook them! And let’s just face it, bite-sized snacks are much more fun.
I made these Homemade Pretzel Bites for our New Year’s Eve gathering and they were a hit. Personally, I think you have to dunk them in this delicious cheese sauce. But you should really find out for yourself!
How do you keep pretzel bites warm?
After baking your pretzels, you can keep them warm by lowering your oven temperature to about 150°F, or the lowest it will go. I wouldn’t leave them in there longer than about 30 minutes to an hour, otherwise, they will end up drying out.
Great Party Snack:
This is the perfect party snack. I always make them for the kids as they are perfect to grab and go. I like set out different dipping sauces for everyone to try.
- Warm Cheese Dip
- Queso Dip
- Pizza Dip
How do you store pretzel bites?
It doesn’t happen very often that you will end up with leftover pretzel bite. If you need to you can store the leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Ingredients for Homemade Pretzel Bites:
- Light Brown Sugar
- Active Dry Yeast
- Butter, melted
- Warm water
- Kosher Salt
- All-Purpose Flour
- Canola Oil
- Water (about 8 cups of water)
- Baking Soda
- Egg, beaten
- Coarse sea salt
Now, that is a long list of ingredients, but you probably have most, if not all, of these on hand already. Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you.
How to Make Pretzel bites:
There are the steps you’ll need to follow precisely to get these right, but trust me, anyone can do it.
1. Mix brown sugar, yeast, melted butter, and warm water together in a stand mixer with a dough hook. Make sure you get all ingredients from the side of the bowl.
2. Add in salt and add in flour and knead the dough with the dough hook for about 3 minutes.
3. Oil a glass large bowl and place dough inside of bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand for about an hour (or until doubled in size). See my picture below:
4. Preheat oven to 425°F.
5. Bring water to boil in a stockpot, then add baking soda. Break off pieces of dough, roll into a “snake”.
6. Chop dough into bite-size pieces.
7. Add pieces to boiling water and baking soda. Remove with a slotted spoon after about 30 seconds (do NOT leave these in too long). This is an important step to making pretzels at home. Boiling them gives them a chewy texture and the baking soda gives them that brown crust.
8. Place on a well-greased cookie sheet. Repeat until all of the dough is gone.
9. Brush egg wash over pretzel bites, then sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes (or until a nice pretzel-y color).
10. Soft Pretzel Bites are best served warm.
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Bites:
Do you want to turn your pretzel bites into a sweet treat? You can try them with Cinnamon and Sugar. After you bake them, you can brush them with melted butter and then roll them in a cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Changing a few ingredients can easily change these pretzel bites. We love it with cinnamon and sugar.
- If you want to change things up from the traditional pretzel flavor, before you bake these you can sprinkle with garlic salt or even Parmesan cheese instead of the coarse sea salt.
- The pretzel dough should stick together. If it is to sticky, just add in a little more flour at a time.
- I like forming it to long strands, then cutting into small size bites.
- Try not to boil to many pretzel dough at a time. I try to keep it around 10 to prevent from sticking to each other.
How to freeze Homemade Pretzel Bites:
This recipe does make quite a few homemade pretzels bites. If you find that you have way more than you need at once, you can freeze them. Make sure they cool completely after being baked, then place them in a freezer bag.
When you are ready to eat them, remove them from the bag, spray or sprinkle a little water on each and then microwave for a few seconds (the amount of time will vary depending on how big your bites are). You can also sprinkle additional toppings on at this time if you like.
These Pretzel Bites are customizable. Feel free to change things up and add some variety.
- Add in Seasoning – You can sprinkle in some Everything but the bagel seasoning, ranch seasoning, or some cajun seasoning to give it a little spice.
- Cheese – Adding in some parmesan cheese or asiago cheese would be so good.
- Gluten Free – You can even make them gluten free with gluten free flour.
- Whole Wheat Flour – If you want a healthy version, you can also use whole wheat flour.
Print the Pretzel Bites Recipe below:
Homemade Pretzel Bites
- Mix brown sugar, yeast, melted butter, and warm water together in a stand mixer with a dough hook.
- Add in salt and flour and mix with dough hook on low until well combined. Mix for another 3-4 minutes or until dough starts pulling away from the sides of the bowl. If the dough is too sticky, add flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Oil a glass bowl. Pull the dough out of the mixer bowl and form into a ball. Place dough inside the oiled bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand for about an hour (or until doubled in size).
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in a stock pot, then add baking soda. Break off pieces of dough, roll into a “snake”, then chop into bite size pieces. Add the cut pieces to boiling water. Remove the pieces after about 30 seconds (the pieces will initially sink, but then start to float when they are ready).
- Place on a well greased cookie sheet, making sure pieces are not touching. Repeat until all of the dough is gone. I filled up 2 big cookie sheets.
- Brush egg wash over the pretzel bites, then sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes (or until a nice pretzel-y color).
- Remove to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these delicious snack recipes :
- Mexican White Cheese Dip
- Naan Bread
- Easy Pizza Pockets
- Fiesta Ranch Dip
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- More 21 Easy After School Snacks for Kids