This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are easy to make with simple ingredients. The perfect appetizer for game day or a weekend snack.
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
The cheese sticks turned out so good and my kids are already begging to make these again. They are seriously that amazing.
Homemade mozzerella sticks are made with string cheese that is coated with bread crumbs and eggs and then baked for an easy snack. Make sure to serve with a side of your favorite dipping sauce for even more flavor.
We love to make these for an easy appetizer or snack on the weekends. They are a crowd favorite. The cheese is melted perfectly and they are so delicious.
How do you Make Cheese Sticks?
They are really so simple to make. Once you give these a try, you won’t ever buy those frozen ones from the grocery store again. These are so much better and a blast to make.
I love that once you buy the ingredients, you can make several batches and freeze them.
What is the Best Cheese to use for Mozzarella Sticks?
The best cheese to use for mozzarella sticks is cheese sticks. There are different flavors that you can buy and they are the perfect size for homemade cheese sticks.
Tips for Homemade Mozzarella Sticks:
- Freeze Mozzarella Sticks – It is super important to not skip over the freezer step. This is what allows the cheese to stay intact and not ooze out during the baking process.
- Breading the cheese – Make sure to really press the breadcrumbs into the cheese stick. This will ensure you don’t lose your breading which is oh so yummy.
- Parchment Paper – Use a baking sheet or parchment paper to make clean up even easier. I love to use these baking liners.
- Breadcrumb Mixture – Once you are done coating the cheese sticks in the bread crumbs, discard this mixture.
- Cooking Cheese Sticks – These cheese sticks can be deep fried, baked or you can air fry them.
Let’s learn how to make cheese sticks!
Ingredients for Homemade Cheese Sticks:
- Mozzarella cheese sticks (string cheese) – cut in half
- Italian Bread Crumbs
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Parmesan Cheese
How to Make Homemade Mozzarella Sticks:
- Step 1 – You will need 3 small bowls.
- Step 2 – Place flour in one bowl, eggs in a second bowl and then both bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a third bowl.
- Step 3 – Cut each string cheese in half and line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Step 4 – Coat one sting cheese in the flour, then in the eggs, then in the bread crumb mixture.
- Step 5 – Place on the cookie sheet. Our girls LOVED making their own cheese sticks.
- Step 6 – Continue to do this until all of the string cheese are on the cookie sheet.
- Step 7 – Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours until frozen through.
- Step 8 – Preheat oven to the broil feature.
- Step 9 – Place the cheese sticks on a baking sheet and spray with olive oil.
- Step 10 – Broil for about 4-5 minutes until they begin to brown and get soft (watch them closely so the cheese doesn’t ooze out).
Now you know how to make mozzarella sticks without frying!
Can you Fry Homemade Cheese Sticks?
Yes, you can fry homemade cheese sticks. This allows them to get extra crispy.
- Heat cooking oil in a sauce pan to at least 365 degrees. The oil temperature needs to be hot before placing the cheese stick in the skillet.
- Prepare the cheese sticks as indicated in the recipe card. The cheese sticks are ready to fry.
- Place the sticks in the heated vegetable oil and deep fry for about 30 seconds or until golden brown.
- Drain the fried cheese sticks on a paper towel and serve.
How do I Make Crispy Mozzarella Sticks:
The best way to get the mozzarella sticks crispy is to fry in hot oil. Air fryer the cheese sticks is also a good option. We have been using our air fryer a lot more and it is less messy than deep frying the mozzarella sticks.
Can you Freeze Mozzarella Cheese Sticks?
Yes, you certainly can. This is a great way to enjoy these anytime you want without the prep work.
Once you get to the step that tells you to freeze them, just go ahead and do so. Once you are ready to enjoy, bake them as normal and enjoy.
You can have fresh mozzarella sticks anytime you want at home.
How Long will Homemade Cheese Sticks last in the Freezer:
If you are wanting to freeze your homemade cheese sticks, these steps will help to freeze them properly.
- Prepare the cheese sticks as indicated.
- Make sure to freeze the cheese sticks for an hour before adding to the freezer bag or freezer safe container.
- If stored properly these cheese sticks will last about 2 to 3 months.
- When you are ready to cook, bake as directed on the recipe card. You may need to add a few minutes to the cooking time.
How to Reheat Cooked Cheese Sticks:
If you would like to reheat the cooked cheese sticks, place them on baking sheet. Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. Reheat for about 10 minutes. For the last minute you can turn the oven to broil.
This will allow the texture to get crispy.
What to Serve with Homemade Cheese Sticks:
Print this Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks recipe below:
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- You will need 3 small bowls. Place flour in one bowl, eggs in a second bowl (beat them together) and then both bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a third bowl (mixed together).
- Cut each string cheese in half and line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Coat one sting cheese in the flour, then in the eggs, then in the bread crumb mixture. Place on the cookie sheet.
- Continue to do this until all of the string cheese are on the cookie sheet.
- Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours until frozen through.
- Preheat oven to broil setting.
- Spray the cheese sticks with olive oil and broil them for 4-5 minutes until they begin to brown and get soft. Watch them closely as if they are over cooked, the cheese will seep out of the breading.
- Let sit for a few minutes and then serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe