My kids love mozzarella sticks so I thought I would try to make Homemade mozzarella cheese sticks to enjoy at home. They turned out so delicious and a huge hit. Give these homemade cheese sticks a try!
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
Lately my kids have been begging for us to make these homemade mozzarella cheese sticks again. My oh my are these good.
Like seriously good. The best part is the kids make them and love it.
They get to be messy in the kitchen and are proud of their final result. This is a great recipe to let kids help and learn about cooking.
The cheese sticks turned out so good and my kids are already begging to make these again. They are seriously that amazing.
How do you make cheese sticks?
They are really so simple to make. Once you give these a try, you won’t ever buy those frozen ones from the grocery store again.
These are so much better and a blast to make.
What goes good with mozzarella sticks?
We love to serve the mozzarella sticks with homemade pizza sauce. It is incredibly easy to make and will save you money.
You can actually make this sauce in a large batch and freeze it. It really saves time and makes it so easy to grab and go.
Now, we have a few people in the family that are ranch dressing fans. They love to dip the cheese sticks in ranch.
I try to have both so everyone is happy with the mozzarella sticks sauce. 🙂
Cheese Stick Do’s & Don’ts
- It is super important to not skip over the freezer step. This is what allows the cheese to stay intact and not ooze out during the baking process.
- Make sure to really press the breadcrumbs into the cheese stick. This will ensure you don’t lose your breading which is oh so yummy!
- Use a baking sheet or parchment paper to make clean up even easier. I love to use these baking liners.
Let’s learn how to make cheese sticks!
Ingredients for homemade cheese sticks:
- Mozzarella cheese sticks (string cheese) – cut in half
- Italian Bread Crumbs
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Parmesan Cheese
How to make Mozzarella Cheese Sticks:
- You will need 3 small bowls.
- Place flour in one bowl, eggs in a second bowl and then both bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a third bowl.
- Cut each string cheese in half and line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Coat one sting cheese in the flour, then in the eggs, then in the bread crumb mixture. Place on the cookie sheet. Get the kids involved. Our girls LOVED making their own cheese sticks.
- Continue to do this until all of the string cheese are on the cookie sheet.
- Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours until frozen through.
- Preheat oven to the broil feature.
- Place the cheese sticks on a baking sheet and spray with olive oil.
- Broil for about 4-5 minutes until they begin to brown and get soft (watch them closely so the cheese doesn’t ooze out).
Oh my – my kids (and me!) are in heaven over here.
Now you know how to make mozzarella sticks without frying!
Everyone will love these string cheese sticks!
Now you are going to get messy, but isn’t that the point of it all. The food is delicious, but it is the experience and the mess with the kids that is truly the fun part.
So this year, get a little messy with the kids and make a new tradition with these homemade mozzarella cheese sticks.
Can you freeze mozzarella cheese sticks?
Yes, you certainly can! This is a great way to enjoy these anytime you want without the prep work.
Once you get to the step that tells you to freeze them, just go ahead and do so. Once you are ready to enjoy, bake them as normal and enjoy.
You can have fresh mozzarella sticks anytime you want at home.
Try this baked mozzarella sticks recipe!
I love that we can easily make this mozzarella sticks recipe and you don’t even have to fry until golden brown. It is so easy to make homemade mozzarella sticks because you just bake them. This makes it super easy for the kids to help.
Other options include using an air fryer, frying pan, deep fry or whatever you prefer. However, we just love how they turn out using a simple baking sheet in the oven.
This recipe is so yummy and sure to be a hit!
Make sure you also try our delicious homemade pizza sauce to dip these mozzarella cheese stick in. YUM!
Print this homemade mozzarella cheese sticks recipe below:
These Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are so easy to make and taste just like the Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks you can buy at restaurants.
- 12 Mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread crumbs
- 1/8 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
You will need 3 small bowls. Place flour in one bowl, eggs in a second bowl (beat them together) and then both bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a third bowl (mixed together).
Cut each string cheese in half and line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spray with nonstick spray.
Coat one sting cheese in the flour, then in the eggs, then in the bread crumb mixture. Place on the cookie sheet.
Continue to do this until all of the string cheese are on the cookie sheet.
Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours until frozen through.
Preheat oven to broil setting.
Spray the cheese sticks with olive oil and broil them for 4-5 minutes until they begin to brown and get soft. Watch them closely as if they are over cooked, the cheese will seep out of the breading.
Let sit for a few minutes and then serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
You can make as many of these cheese sticks as you want and store them in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. Then broil them when you’re ready to enjoy these delicious homemade cheese sticks!
Try these other appetizer recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies
- Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders recipe
- The Best Mexican White Cheese Dip
- Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Cheesy bread recipe
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks