How do you make marinara sauce from scratch?
Don’t let this homemade marinara sauce recipe intimidate you. It is so easy.
Start out cooking the garlic in a little olive oil. This will really enhance the flavor. Next, add the other ingredients to a boil and reduce heat to low for it to simmer.
It really is that simple and easy to make marinara sauce from scratch. Not only does it taste better but the savings will add up when you make this at home. It is super cheap to make marinara sauce from scratch.
I love being able to make really delicious recipes to give my family while saving money too. It is definitely a win all around!
This is the best marinara sauce recipe!
Once you make this, it will be hard to go back to using store bought. The flavor is amazing and enhances any dish you make. Plus, it is perfect for dipping.
I absolutely love how easy this is to make and how delicious it is. You are going to really love it!
Ingredients for the best marinara:
- Crushed Tomatoes – san marzano tomatoes are great or sometimes I will use tomatoes from my garden. Fresh tomatoes are great to make homemade marinara sauce.
- Dried Basil
- Bay Leaves
- Minced Garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
How to make homemade marinara sauce:
- First, heat the olive oil in a sauce pan. I like to use medium high heat.
- Second, add the minced garlic and sauté to cook the garlic. This only takes a few minutes. Your house will smell amazing as it cooks!
- Finally, add the other ingredients and bring everything to a boil.
- Once the tomato mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Let this simmer covered for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve over pasta and enjoy!
How to store this:
I typically use a mason jar to store this. I love to keep some in the fridge to enjoy during the week for quick lunches and dinners. It will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Now that we have been using it so much, I have been keeping mason jar full in the fridge. It is great when we want marinara sauce for dipping. Our family loves it!
My friends love it too. Sometimes, I will make extra to give them. I like to get the mason jars with labels when I make it for friends.
You can see the cute Mason jars on Amazon.
You can also freeze the sauce.
I like to do this so I can have several portions in the freezer ready to use. I prefer to use freezer bags so they lay flat and take up less room.
Just make sure to completely cool before placing in the bags. I prefer to freeze in 3 cup portions since we have a larger family. You can freeze in 1 cup portions also.
This should last up to 4 months in the freezer if stored properly.
WAYS TO USE MARINARA SAUCE:
- Skillet Lasagna – this is such a quick meal.
- Stuffed Shells Recipe – Homemade marinara is amazing with this.
- Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole – a family favorite!
- Garlic Bread Cheese Sticks Recipe – We love to dip these in marinara sauce.
- Easy Stromboli Recipe – Dip in marinara for a great meal.
These are just a few ideas to enjoy marinara sauce. The ideas are truly endless. My kids love it served on their favorite pasta. It is so good!
You will love Homemade marinara sauce recipe!
Print this homemade marinara sauce recipe:
Homemade marinara sauce
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes 28 oz
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan of medium high heat. Add in the minced garlic and sauté for a few minutes to cook the garlic.
- Stir in the other ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite type of pasta and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe