This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This rich and creamy mushroom sauce is so delicious and packed with flavor. Spoon this tasty sauce over pasta, chicken and more.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe
Learn how to make this easy creamy mushroom sauce with a rich flavor everyone will enjoy. It is simple to prepare and pairs perfectly with many different dishes.
Your family will be impressed with this mushroom sauce. Once you see how easy it is to make from scratch, you will love to make it.
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Minced Garlic
- White Wine (or White Cooking Wine)
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Fresh Parsley, chopped
How to make mushroom sauce:
- Melt the butter in a skilet. Heat the butter in skillet over medium high heat. Place the mushrooms in the pan. Once you add the mushrooms, add the salt and pepper.
- Cook the mushrooms. The mushrooms need to cook until the juices from the mushrooms are released and they are browned.
- Combine the seasonings. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and heat for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour the white wine. Reduce the heat to medium, add in the white wine, deglaze the bottom of the pan and cook for approximately 1 minute until the mixture boils slightly.
- Get out a separate bowl. Whisk together the heavy cream and cornstarch. Stir this mixture into the saucepan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish the sauce. Top the sauce with the fresh parsley and then it’s ready to enjoy!
How to serve mushroom sauce:
This rich sauce is amazing served over so many different dishes. Below you will find a few of our favorites.
- Over Grilled Chicken. If your family is tired of chicken breasts, pour this mushroom sauce over it for an entirely new meal.
- Baked Chicken. Turn a simple meal of baked chicken into the best comfort food when you pour this creamy sauce all over.
- Baked Pork Chops. Jazz up plain pork chops with this rich Mushroom sauce.
- Egg Noodles. We love these homemade egg noodles topped with Mushroom Sauce.
- Mashed Potatoes. Homemade mashed potatoes take just minutes and this sauce makes the best gravy.
- Rice. You can make rice in minutes in the pressure cooker. Double the recipe and freeze to easily enjoy later with this mushroom sauce.
- Baked Potatoes. It might sound different but my kids spoon this over their baked potatoes. It’s really tasty.
How to store:
This sauce is best served immediately but you can refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This sauce will thicken when it’s stored so it will need to be thinned out when reheated.
Just add a little bit of water and whisk it together with the sauce. Continue to add water until it is the consistency you prefer.
Since this sauce is so easy to make, you might just want to make it fresh. It really is easy and tastes even better freshly prepared.
- Beef Broth. Substitute beef broth instead of white wine.
- Chicken Broth. You can use chicken broth as a substitute for the wine.
- Vegetable Broth. Use veggie broth for a vegetarian option in this reicpe.
- Red wine. For a slightly different flavor, try using red wine instead of white.
- Parmesan Cheese. If you like a cheesy sauce, add ½ cup Parmesan Cheese to the sauce mixture. I recommend shredding the cheese so that it melts smoother and provides a creamy texture.
- Fresh Herbs. Try adding fresh herbs of your choice to this sauce.
- Cream. You can substitute the heavy cream with half and half or milk. However, it will not be as rich and creamy.
- Mushrooms. Feel free to use the type you prefer. Try using Portobello or shiitake mushrooms.
- Fresh Garlic. Substitute fresh garlic for the minced garlic. It only takes a few extra minutes and gives the dish a lot of garlic flavor.
- Thicken the sauce. The corn starch in the recipe should help to thicken the sauce. However, if it isn’t thickening, simmer longer until it is to your desired consistency.
- Smooth and creamy sauce. The desired outcome is a really smooth sauce. You can achieve this by making sure all of the ingredients are well combined after each step.
- Medium Heat. The mushrooms need to be simmered using medium heat and not high heat. This will prevent them from browning too fast and overcooking.
- Don’t overcrowd the mushrooms. The mushrooms need lots of room to cook. If you plan to double the recipe, you may need to cook the mushrooms in batches.
Why is my sauce pale?
This is a result of not cooking your mushrooms long enough or cooking them on too low of heat. This will make the mushrooms pale and thus your sauce
It is important to make sure that you allow the mushrooms to brown before adding the other ingredients.
The mushrooms also need ample room to cook. It is important that you do not overcrowd the pan. Try to cook the mushrooms in a single layer.
I find that using a large skillet gives the mushrooms plenty of room to cook without being too crowded. The surface area is usually plenty large.
Try this versatile sauce today.
Our entire family loves this sauce and it is so easy. Once you get the hang of it, you will see how easy this impressive sauce is to make.
The options are endless with this creamy mushroom sauce. Give it a try.
Print this Creamy Mushroom Sauce recipe:
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and season them with salt and pepper.
- Cook the mushrooms until the juices from the mushrooms are released and they are browned.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and heat for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add in the white wine, deglaze the bottom of the pan and cook for approximately 1 minute until the mixture boils slightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the heavy whipping cream and cornstarch.
- Stir this mixture into the saucepan and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Top the sauce with the fresh parsley and then it’s ready to enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe