This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
White pasta sauce is rich and creamy without any heavy cream needed. You probably already have the ingredients needed for this easy sauce. Skip the store bought jars and make this super quick pasta sauce instead.
White pasta sauce
This classic white pasta sauce recipe is surprisingly simple to make. In just minutes, you can whip this up for dinner. White pasta sauce uses simple and common pantry items making this very inexpensive and convenient.
Enjoy it plain over pasta or add your favorite meat. This sauce sounds fancy and tastes so rich but it is easy enough for busy weeknights.
It comes together quickly for a meal that rivals any restaurant. This sauce is so smooth and creamy.
How to make a cream sauce
Start by melting the butter and adding the flour. Once this is whisked together, you add the liquids to the pan.
In order to achieve smooth and creamy sauce, whisk everything together really well. You are guaranteed to get a creamy sauce if you follow these simple instructions.
Stir this constantly until it starts to boil and thickens. It takes less than 20 minutes to make.
Dinner does not have to be complicated or time consuming to be homemade. This recipe is a great example of that and home cooks can easily make this.
Ingredients for white sauce pasta
- Penne Pasta – This is just what we happened to have. You can use any type you like such as linguine, elbow, angel hair pasta and more.
- Butter – Real butter is best and not margarine.
- Flour – You will need to use all purpose flour.
- Minced Garlic – You can also use garlic powder. Don’t overcook the garlic as you do not want it to brown.
- Chicken Broth
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – You can use fresh or canned Parmesan.
- Salt and pepper
How to make white pasta sauce
- Fist, cook the pasta that you plan to use. I prefer to cook it al dente.
- Second, make the sauce. Start by melting the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Then add in the minced garlic and cook this for another minute. The garlic simmering will make your kitchen smell wonderful but be careful not to overcook it.
- Next, whisk in the flour and cook for about a minute. The butter flour mixture should start to thicken slightly. Watch it carefully so the flour does not burn.
- The next step is to whisk in the cup milk and broth. This needs to be stirred constantly until the sauce starts to boil and the sauce thickens.
- Finally, add in the grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Stir all of this together until the cheese has melted. If you want the sauce extra cheesy, add an extra ¼ cup cheese.
- Now just stir in the pasta and serve immediately. You can sprinkle with parsley if you have some on hand.
Can this sauce be made in advance?
I prefer to make it when I am ready to serve it. However, it can be made up to 3 days in advance if stored in the fridge.
When you are ready to use the sauce, reheat on low heat and whisk the sauce until smooth. If you need to thin the sauce, slowly whisk in broth until it the right consistency.
What to do with leftover pasta sauce
- Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Reheat on the stove or microwave until heated through. The cook time will vary. If the pasta sauce is too thick, add a little bit of chicken broth to thin it out. I would add a little at a time until it is the desired consistency.
- Freeze extra sauce in an airtight freezer container up to 6 months. Allow it to thaw in the fridge and reheat on low. Whisk constantly so it does not curdle.
Variations to creamy white pasta sauce:
- Protein – Add shrimp, chicken, ham or smoked sausage to the pasta sauce.
- Extra Garlic – You can add roasted garlic cloves for even more garlic flavor in the sauce.
- Veggies – Toss Broccoli, peas or spinach into the pasta sauce. It is a great way to bulk up the meal with healthy items. You really can use any type of vegetables you like. Other ideas include: bell peppers (any color), onion, carrots and mushrooms.
- Reduce the carbs in this recipe. Serve the sauce over zucchini noodles instead of traditional pasta. The rich sauce is so flavorful that no one will miss the extra carbs.
As you can see the ideas are endless with this easy recipe. Toss in some vegetables and meat for another fabulous and tasty meal idea.
Serving ideas with easy white sauce for pasta:
- Caesar Salad – Enjoy this light and delicious Easy Caesar Salad Recipe at home for a delicious side dish with pasta. It is so flavorful and really simple. You can also just serve the pasta with a simple tossed salad.
- Oven Roasted Asparagus – This is the perfect side dish that is ready in just minutes. It is so flavorful that even your kids will love it.
- Broccoli – Learn how to steam broccoli in microwave. This easy and healthy side dish takes only 3 minutes! My kids will eat more of this if I cover it in the white pasta sauce.
- Garlic Bread– You definitely want some type of bread to dip into that creamy sauce. It is so delicious. Learn how to make homemade garlic bread for the freezer that will save time and money. You will love having this in the freezer for meals like this.
Your family will enjoy homemade white pasta sauce.
Pasta is such a comfort food dish and one we all enjoy. I love that I can make this easily but it turns out better than a restaurant.
Not only am I saving money but our family is getting to enjoy really great food. This pasta dish comes together in less than 20 minutes making it perfect for school nights.
I guarantee that you can’t get takeout and back home in that amount of time. Plus, we think it tastes much better.
Give it a try and let us know how it turned out for you. Once we made it, it quickly became a family favorite.
Print this white pasta sauce recipe:
White Pasta Sauce
- Cook the pasta to al dente based on the package instructions.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Then whisk in the milk and broth, stirring constantly until the sauce starts to boil and thickens.
- Then add in the grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Stir in the pasta and serve immediately.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe