This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is rich and flavorful without much work. The sauce is creamy with a little bit of heat for the perfect meal.
One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe:
My entire family loves pasta dishes! I especially love one pot meals so it’s a win win situation for everyone. This Cream Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe is so simple and much better than takeout. It’s quicker and cheaper too.
The next time you are craving pasta, make this delicious meal at home. The savings will add up and your family will love this recipe. Everyone will agree on this meal because it is so tasty and the perfect meal for a busy weeknight.
Add all the ingredients to the skillet to heat and cook. Then mix in your cooked noodles for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. We love that this restaurant quality creamy pasta dish is so easy to make with simple ingredients.
What does Cajun Mean?
We love the extra kick that this pasta dish gives. The seasoning that gives it that extra spice is the cajun seasoning. My family doesn’t mind a little extra heat in this dish, but you can always half what is added to reduce the heat.
The spicy cajun seasoning mixed with the pasta, chicken, and cream really gives this pasta dish so much flavor.
What does Cajun Chicken taste like?
The tomatoes combined with the half and half make it creamy and delicious. The sauce has the best Cajun flavor and this really turns the chicken into something special. Basically, it is comfort food in a bowl.
- Chicken breast, cubed – You can use boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenders as well.
- Olive Oil – Any type of cooking oil will work.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes – Any type of diced tomatoes will work. I have even used rotel.
- Cajun seasoning – Use as much or as little as your family prefers.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – Half and Half will work as well as cream cheese.
- Penne Pasta – Any type of pasta will work in this recipe. Use what you have.
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Parsley
How to make Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta:
- Prepare the chicken – First, put the diced chicken in the skillet on medium high heat until cooked. Make sure you have added olive oil to cook the chicken in.
- Season the chicken – Second, sprinkle salt and pepper. Add cajun seasoning and tomatoes and mix together.
- Add in the Cream – Now, add the heavy whipping cream. You want to heat this on low for a few minutes as the sauce thickens. Don’t bring it to a boil.
- Add in cook pasta – Finally, add the al dente pasta and heat a few more minutes. You can add chicken broth if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Serve and Enjoy – Enjoy. Top with green onion and parmesan cheese if desired.
How to Adjust the Heat in the Recipe:
This recipe is so simple to adapt. You can easily make it spicier to less spicy by adjusting the Cajun seasoning. Feel free to add or omit based on your family preferences.
Creamy Cajun Pasta Tips:
- Cook Pasta – Before mixing in the pasta with the other ingredients, make sure they are cooked al dente.
- Heat on Low – When heating the ingredients, make sure you do not boil the mixture. We like to keep the heat on low so the sauce thickens.
- Vegetarian Option – This dish is still amazing without the chicken. If removing the chicken, add in more vegetables such as broccoli or asparagus.
- Light Dish – If you prefer to make this a lighter sauce, you can mix in some chicken broth or half and half. The sauce will be thinner.
- Rinsing Pasta – Since you mixing the pasta with a creamy sauce, we like to rinse the pasta after cooking. This prevents it from clumping up when everything mixes together.
- Cayenne Pepper – Feel free to add more cayenne pepper if you like the dish to be more spicy.
What to Serve with Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta?
This One Pot Creamy Cajun Pasta is a heavy meal, so we like to keep the sides simple. But we also like to make sure they are easy to prepare. These are some of our favorite sides to serve.
- Salad – We often serve a simple salad with this meal. It is quick and easy and goes great with the pasta.
- Vegetables – You could also try Roasted Green Beans or learn how to steam broccoli in the microwave. Both of these make for a super easy veggie side dish.
- Garlic Bread – We love to serve this creamy pasta with breadsticks or cheese sticks. We love to dip our bread with the sauce.
Variations and Additions for Creamy Chicken Cajun Pasta:
- Change the Chicken – We used diced chicken breast in this recipe, but you can also dice up chicken thighs or chicken tenders if that is what you have.
- Add in Smoked Sausage – Another idea is to try smoked andouille sausage instead of chicken. You can even mix the two.
- Add Seafood – This dish would be amazing mixed with shrimp or salmon instead of chicken.
- Change the Pasta – We used penne pasta, but you can use rigatoni, bowtie pasta or fettuccini noodles.
- Add Vegetables – This is a great recipe to add in bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms.
- Diced Tomatoes – Mix in some Rotel for additional spice to the recipe. It gives it some much flavor.
- Change the Seasoning – Cajun seasoning is great but you can use different seasoning blend if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese – If you want the sauce to be more creamier you can add in some cream cheese. Combine with the heavy cream makes the sauce yummy.
- Garlic Powder – Add in some garlic powder, minced garlic or fresh garlic for added flavor. If adding fresh garlic, cook it when you add in the onion.
How to Store:
Storing Cajun Chicken Alfredo Sauce is easy to do. Place leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for about 5 days. We think the leftovers taste even better the next day as the ingredients really marinate together.
We like to store in individual containers so that they are easy to grab for my husband and I for lunch the next day.
How to Reheat Leftovers:
To reheat leftovers, place in a microwave safe dish and reheat. We recommend reheating in 30 second intervals so that they are no hot spots. You can also reheat in the skillet on the stove if you are reheating a larger portion.
Why we Love this Recipe:
This recipe is one of my family favorites recipe. We eat a lot of chicken but combined with the creamy sauce and pasta makes my family love it. The ingredients are easy and it is a dish that I can make on a busy weeknight or for a crowd.
We love to serve it with some bread and a fresh salad to complete the meal. Top the pasta with some fresh parsley and mozzarella cheese for added flavor.
Combining the Cajun seasoning with the heavy cream, the broth and butter make the sauce so delicious. It has the perfect amount of kick to it that they whole family loved it.
It all comes together to make the chicken and pasta absolutely amazing. If you prefer to use the slow cooker, try Crock Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe.
Print this creamy Cajun chicken pasta recipe:
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and season with the salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken for 10-12 minutes until the chicken is a golden brown.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, cajun seasoning and mix well. Cook uncovered for 3-5 minutes until the sauce is simmering slightly.
- Stir in the cream and heat just until the cream is heated through (1-2 minutes).
- Stir in the cooked pasta right before serving.
- Serve topped with the fresh parsley and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe