Garlic mashed potatoes are creamy and delicious. Jazz up plain potatoes with garlic for the best side dish.
Garlic mashed potatoes
Garlic mashed potatoes always makes a great side dish. Each bite is so fluffy and one of our favorite comfort foods to enjoy. We took our easy mashed potato recipe and made it even better.
If you want to try something different, add a little minced garlic and be prepared for everyone to love garlic mashed potatoes.
I think you might be surprised just how amazing adding this one simple ingredient can be. It really takes potatoes up a notch. Yum!
Did I mention how inexpensive this is? This is such a budget friendly recipe and you can easily feed a crowd for less.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes:
Skip those boxes of instant potatoes and make homemade mashed potatoes instead.
Just clean and dice your potatoes. Boil until tender. Add milk and butter and beat until soft and fluffy.
Anyone can make mashed potatoes for a simple but delicious side dish.
- Red Potatoes – You can use Russet, or Yukon gold potatoes in this recipe if you wanted.
- Minced Garlic – I love the flavor of minced garlic but you can use a ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter. I have used both and this recipe works great either way.
- Milk – Full fat works best, but any kind of milk will be delicious. You can also substitute butter milk for regular milk
- Salt and pepper – We give you measurements for the salt and pepper but season to taste before you serve.
How to make garlic mashed potatoes
First, clean all of the potatoes. Then quarter them and we leave the skin on. You can peel the potatoes if you would prefer mashed potatoes without skin.
Second, put the potatoes in a large pot and add cold water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil.
Let this come to a boil and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. You want the potatoes to be fork tender.
Next, drain the potatoes and put them back in the pot.
Finally, add in the garlic, butter, salt and part of the milk. Make sure to only use part of the milk because you may not need it all.
You can use heavy cream instead of milk if you prefer. It will be a little more rich with cream. Just use what you like best.
Now, use an electric mixer to mash the potatoes and blend them until they are light and fluffy. You can also use a potato masher if you prefer.
Use the remaining milk to gradually add it to the mashed potatoes until they are the consistency that you prefer.
It is that simple. Season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
WHAT KIND OF POTATOES CAN I USE?
We used red potatoes in this recipe. Other good ideas include: Yukon gold or russet potatoes.
The red potatoes will give you the creamiest potatoes, but garlic mashed potatoes are still delicious if you use Yukon gold or Russet potatoes.
What to serve with roasted garlic mashed potatoes:
Tips for the best garlic mashed red potatoes:
- Don’t over mix the potatoes. Over mixing can result in potatoes that are not light and fluffy and instead have a gummy texture.
- Make sure you cook the potatoes long enough so that you don’t have lumpy or hard mashed potatoes in spots.
- Try to dice the potatoes all the same size so they cook evenly when you boil them.
- For extra creamy mashed potatoes, mix in ½ cup of sour cream.
Try garlic mashed potatoes recipe!
The garlic flavor is so delicious. It really is so tasty in mashed potatoes.
It isn’t too strong and just the perfect amount of garlic. We all love it.
These are the creamiest mashed potatoes. Once you try this mashed potato recipe, you will see why we love it so much.
This is optional but you can drizzle a little melted butter or olive oil on top of the potatoes.
I think you will really love this. It is the best side dish.
Should I mash my potatoes or whip my potatoes?
Mashing your potatoes is done with a hand potato masher tool. Whipping your potatoes is done with a hand mixer. Both methods work great in mashed potatoes.
Mashing by hand will provide a thicker mashed potato with lumps. Whipping potatoes will give you smoother mashed potatoes.
Either will work great for this recipe.
Print this Creamy garlic mashed potatoes recipe:
Garlic mashed potatoes
- 2 lbs Red Potatoes
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Clean the potatoes and quarter them (leave the skin on).
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and then return them back to the pot.
- Then add in the garlic, butter, salt and ½ a cup of the milk. Use an electric mixer to blend the potatoes until they are light and fluffy. Gradually add in the remaining milk until the mashed potatoes are the consistency that you prefer.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More potato recipes to try:
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Easy Stovetop Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Scalloped potatoes recipe