This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Cheesy mashed potatoes are loaded with cream cheese and cheddar cheese for a great side dish. They are baked to perfection for the best comfort food.
Cheesy mashed potatoes
Just when you thought mashed potatoes couldn’t get any better, we have a new recipe to show you. If you love comfort food, you are going to go crazy over Cheesy mashed potatoes.
It starts with regular mashed potatoes which are equally amazing and they get jazzed up for this delicious casserole. The side dish is packed with lots of cream cheese and that makes the potatoes SO creamy.
Then you top it all off with shredded cheese for the best mashed potatoes. It is so easy to make and perfect to go with juts about any dinner.
- Russet Potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese- cut into small pieces
- Cheddar Cheese- Shredded
- Chives -optional but they are perfect for topping/
What Potatoes Are Best For Mashing?
Almost any potatoes are good for mashing. However, there are certain varieties that make the best mashed potatoes. Yukon golds or russets are perfect for this dish as they result in a creamier mash. We used russet potatoes in this recipe because they are my personal favorite.
How to make cheesy mashed potatoes
First, clean and peel the potatoes. Next, cut the potatoes into quarters.
Second, put the potatoes in a large pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil.
Let them boil for about 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Once finished, drain the potatoes and put them back in the pot.
Now add the butter, milk, salt, pepper, sour cream and cream cheese. I prefer to use an electric hand mixer to combine all of this together but you can also use a hand potato masher if you prefer a chunkier mashed potatoes.
You just want the potatoes to be light and fluffy.
Go ahead and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
While the oven is warming up, put the mashed potatoes in a 9X9 baking pan.
Finally, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese all over the top.
Tip: I prefer to shred the cheese by hand instead of using the bags of shredded cheese. It will melt smoother if you hand shred the cheese.
Make sure to cover with foil. Then bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.
In 30 minutes, you can have the best cheesy mashed potatoes.
This is optional but I like to top with green onions or parsley.
These baked mashed potatoes are best served warm. Enjoy!
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge up to 4-5 days. Just make sure to cover.
Sometimes, I make extra just to have leftovers. We really love this side dish.
- Use Heavy Whipping Cream – I usually use milk for this recipe but you can substitute with heavy whipping cream as well.
- Change the Kind of Cheeses – Cheddar cheese is delicious but feel free to use what you have. Colby Jack is delicious. Spice things up and use pepper jack cheese. You can even try Parmesan cheese as well.
- Be Extra Cheesy – If you just love cheese, you can also mix cheese in the potatoes when you are mashing them for extra cheesy mashed potatoes.
- Add Bacon – Crumble cooked bacon on top of the cheese. You can also mix in bacon with the mashed potatoes.
- Try adding ranch – Try loaded mashed potatoes with dry ranch seasoning mix.
- Change Potatoes– We used russet but Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes also work well in this recipe.
Can you make this ahead?
Yes, you can. Just make sure to refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
This is a great dish to make ahead and saves time on the day you plan to serve.
To make ahead, just prepare as normal but do not bake. If your casserole dish has a lid, put it on and place in the fridge. If not, just cover with foil.
When you are ready to serve, bake as normal. Keep in mind that you may have to add 3 to 5 minutes to the total baking time to make sure that the potatoes are heated all the way through.
Mashed potatoes with cream cheese
Each bite is so rich and delicious. Your family will love this easy potato casserole loaded with delicious cheese.
Make cheesy mashed potatoes and see how easy it is. They are super quick and really delicious.
How to make in the Instant pot:
We have an Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe. You can follow this recipe and have the potatoes mashed in 20 minutes. Then simply place it in the oven save dish. Top with cheese and bake.
How to store Leftovers
Store leftover cheesy mashed potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days. Make sure it is completely cooled before putting it in the container and the refrigerator.
How to thicken mashed potatoes
If you find your potatoes are too runny, you can easily bake them longer to help the liquid evaporate. See How to Thicken Mashed Potatoes for more ideas.
Print this cheesy mashed potatoes recipe:
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- Clean and peel the potatoes. Then quarter them.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and then return them back to the pot.
- Then add in the butter, milk, salt, pepper, sour cream and cream cheese. Use an electric mixer to blend the potatoes until they are light and fluffy.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the mashed potatoes in a 9X9 baking pan then top it with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.
- Top with the chives if you prefer.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More mashed potatoes recipe:
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Easy Stovetop Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
- Garlic mashed potatoes