Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are so creamy. The best part is that you can make them without any draining or boiling. Your family can enjoy real mashed potatoes in minutes.
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes Recipe:
I’m so excited about this pressure cooker mashed potatoes recipe. As you can see I really love this great recipe. The mashed potatoes come out so creamy and it has been a game change for my family.
The best part is I can make these Instant Pot Mashed potatoes without boiling or draining. They will be on the table in less than 15 minutes.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe:
In less time it takes you to boil potatoes, you can have the potatoes peeled, cooked, mashed, and on the table with this super simple instant pot mashed potatoes recipe.
Now you will need an electric pressure cooker for this recipe. I personally have an Instant Pot and so far I am loving it.
If you have been putting off trying an instant pot, I highly recommend going ahead and biting the bullet. I love using the pressure cooker when I don’t have much time.
Best Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes:
We have used many different potatoes to make delicious mashed potatoes.
- Russet Potatoes – We typically use the russet potato. They seem to take a little longer to make but turn out perfectly.
- Red Potatoes – If I am using the red potatoes, I usually will leave the skin on. It doesn’t seem to bother my kids and I really like how they turn out.
- Yukon Potatoes – Since these are a bit smaller, they don’t take as long to make. Still one of the favorites when making mashed potatoes.
How long to Pressure Cook Potatoes?
It actually doesn’t take very long to cook potatoes in the pressure cooker. Now, for mashed potatoes in instant pot, I only set the timer for only 6 minutes so they are soft enough to mash.
Now if you want your potatoes a bit firmer for a chunkier mashed potatoes I would set the timer for only 4 minutes. Cook time could vary.
Either way you are going to have amazing potatoes.
Ingredients for Mashed Potatoes:
- Cold Water
- Salt and Black Pepper
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in an Instant Pot:
- Step 1 – First peel and cut your potatoes into chunks. Then place the peeled and cut potatoes in the pressure cooker or Instant pot. Add 1 cup of water.
- Step 2 – Next place the lid on top and make sure your valve is sealing position.
- Step 3 – Then click the manual button and turn it to 6 minutes.
- Step 4 – Next Walk away and wait until it beeps. Do the quick release on the top to relieve the high pressure. Then add the milk and butter, salt and pepper.
- Step 5 — Mix well with an electric hand mixer right in the instant pot or mash the potatoes with a hand potato masher until the potatoes are super smooth. Seasoned with salt and pepper, serve and enjoy.
What Should I Use to Mashed Potatoes?
We recommend using a hand mixer to mashed the potatoes. This way you can mash them directly in the instant pot and you don’t have to dirty up another bowl.
Pressure Cook Mashed Potato Variations:
We love recipes that you can change the ingredients a bit or add to them to change the flavor.
- We like to add sour cream and cream cheese to change up the flavor. Just mix in ½ cup of either of these and it makes the potatoes so rich and creamy.
- Also, you can add roasted garlic for delicious creamy garlic mashed potatoes that the entire family will love!
- Also, if you are following an unsaturated fats diet, you can use olive oil instead of butter in this recipe. This recipe is easy to modify to make it perfect for your family.
- You can use chicken broth instead of water.
Can you leave the Skin on the Potatoes?
It depends on the potatoes you use. If I am using russet potatoes, I remove the skin but if I use red potatoes, I leave the skin on.
The Best Comfort Food:
My family loves potatoes. Rather we bake them, grill or mash them they could eat them as a side to everything. Sundays are my day to make a large meal before the week starts. It usually always involves mashed potatoes.
My kids love when I make Roast, Fried Chicken Tenders and Ham. Mashed potatoes are always served with these meals. They are great leftover and not expensive to make.
Using the instant pot just makes my life so much easier when making mashed potatoes. They can stay warm and everything is ready at the same time.
How do I keep them warm?
I love that I can put the lid back on and the mashed potatoes stay nice and warm in the instant pot. You can also select the keep warm option on your instant pot.
One thing I have learn is to stir them frequently to keep them from burning or sticking to the bottom.
How to fix Runny Mashed Potatoes:
Having runny mashed potatoes is no fun. Mashed potatoes are actually very easy to thicken. See How to Thicken Mashed Potatoes.
Can you Freeze Mashed Potatoes?
Yes you can freeze mashed potatoes. Check out our Can you Freeze Mashed Potatoes post to learn how easy it is to freeze.
How to Use Leftover Mashed Potatoes:
Did you know that you can use leftover mashed potatoes for another meal? It is easy to repurpose your leftover mashed potatoes. Here are some of my favorites:
Print this Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes recipe:
Instant pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 to 3 lbs potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and Cut your potatoes into chunks.
- Place in the pressure cooker or Instant pot. Add 1 cup of water.
- Place the lid on top and make sure your nob is set to sealing.
- Then click the manual button and turn it to 6 minutes.
- Walk away and wait until it beeps.
- Do the quick release to relieve the pressure.
- Add the butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Mix well with an electric hand mixer right in the instant pot or mash with a hand masher.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Instant Pot Side Dishes:
- Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe
- Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob Recipe