This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Copycat KFC Bowl is a great way to combine your favorite comfort food all in a bowl. Load your bowl with mashed potatoes, chicken, corn and gravy for a delicious meal idea.
Copycat KFC Bowl Recipe:
If you love KFC famous bowl casserole, then you are going to love this homemade version. This Copycat KFC famous bowl recipe is quick and easy to make and loaded with simple ingredients.
My kids love eating at KFC and so I had to make some of their favorite recipes at home. Try KFC Chicken Pot Pie or KFC Biscuits Recipe for delicious and easy recipes. It saves me a ton of money making these copycat recipes at home.
This is the recipe to make with leftover chicken and mashed potatoes. It is quick and easy to make and you can dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
What are KFC Famous Bowls?
These famous bowls are loaded with delicious flavor. These bowls are easy and quick to make. The bowls are loaded with creamy mashed potatoes, fried chicken, corn and covered with gravy. The bowl is topped with shredded cheese to complete these famous bowls.
The best part about these bowls is they can be in many different variations. You can add extra cheese, make it with grilled chicken and even without corn.
These bowls are delicious and the perfect meal to use leftovers with.
- Russet Potatoes
- Popcorn Chicken (24 oz)
- Frozen Corn ( 12 ounces bag)
- Heinz Chicken Gravy (18 oz jar – divided)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
How to Make KFC bowls at Home:
- Step 1 – Prepare Potatoes – Clean and peel the potatoes. Then quarter them.
- Step 2 – Cook Potatoes – Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Step 3 – Bake Popcorn Chicken – Bake the Popcorn chicken based on the package instructions while the potatoes are boiling.
- Step 4 – Drain Potatoes – Drain the potatoes and then return them back to the pot.
- Step 5 – Make Mashed Potatoes – Then add in the butter, milk, salt and pepper. Use an electric mixer to blend the potatoes until they are light and fluffy. You can also use a hand masher to mash them to the consistency that you prefer.
- Step 6 – Heat Chicken Gravy – Heat the chicken gravy in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Heat for approximately 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Step 7 – Steam Corn – Steam the corn in the microwave based on the package instructions.
- Step 8 – Assemble Bowls – Then it’s time to assemble the bowls. Evenly divide the mashed potatoes into 6 bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with ⅓ cup of cooked corn and pour the gravy on top of the mashed potatoes evenly. Then top with the popcorn chicken and the shredded cheese.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve immediately while hot and enjoy!
Can I use a different type of potatoes instead of mashed potatoes?
Yes, these bowls can be made with different types of potatoes. It would even be delicious if you made bake potatoes and then top the potato with chicken, corn and gravy.
You can even build your bowl with hash browns or breakfast potatoes.
Tips for Homemade KFC Bowls:
- Potatoes – You can easily prepare the mashed potatoes ahead of time or you leftover mashed potatoes.
- Chicken – We like using frozen popcorn chicken as they are the perfect size to load into your bowls.
- Customize Individual Bowls – Feel free to customize the KFC bowls to what you prefer or what you have on hand. This is a great way to create a second meal with your leftovers.
- Serving – Prepare the bowls as your are serving. These bowls are best served immediately. If you are making the ingredients ahead of time, store them separately.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Mashed Potatoes – Feel free to use leftover mashed potatoes. You can also use store bought potatoes or instant mashed potatoes.
- Chicken – We used frozen popcorn chicken to make this dish. But you can make homemade chicken strips. Air Fryer crispy chicken is also another delicious way to prepare the chicken. This bowl would be delicious with rotisserie chicken as well.
- Gravy – You can prepare these bowls with brown gravy or any type of gravy. Leftover gravy works great too.
- Vegetables – This KFC bowls are made with steamed corn, but you can easily use other vegetables. Frozen mixed vegetable would also work in this recipe.
- Change Cheese – Feel free to change the cheese to what you prefer. We used cheddar cheese but you can use mild cheddar, sharp cheddar or Colby Monterrey Jack Cheese.
- Seasoning – We used simple seasoning of salt and pepper. But you can easily use what you prefer to add flavor to your bowls.
Can I Make this as a Casserole?
If everyone likes the same thing in the bowl, this would be perfect to make into a casserole. Layer the ingredients in a casserole dish after preparing them individually.
Bake in the preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Cooking time may vary but I usually leave in the oven until the cheese is melted.
Then dish the casserole into individual bowls for serving.
How to Store Leftovers:
Only assemble the bowls that you are going to serve. Store the leftovers individually in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can easily reheat these ingredients in the microwave to enjoy the leftovers.
What comes in a KFC Spicy Famous Bowl?
If you like spicy flavor in your dishes, make this KFC Spicy Famous Bowl. The ingredients are the but drizzle with Nashville Hot Sauce. This adds so much flavor and you can add as much or as little that you prefer.
Why We Love this KFC Bowl Recipe:
- Easy Ingredients – The ingredients are simple and budget friendly. Great way to make this bowl with leftovers.
- Quick Recipe – This recipe can be on the table within about 30 minutes.
- Kid Approved – Copycat KFC Bowl is loaded with flavor and kid approved. My kids easily build their bowl with what they like. A hearty bowl of comfort food.
Print Recipe here for Copycat KFC Bowl:
Copycat KFC Bowl
- Clean and peel the potatoes. Then quarter them.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Bake the Popcorn chicken based on the package instructions while the potatoes are boiling.
- Drain the potatoes and then return them back to the pot.
- Then add in the butter, milk, salt and pepper. Use an electric mixer to blend the potatoes until they are light and fluffy or use a hand masher to mash them to the consistency that you prefer.
- Heat the chicken gravy in a small saucepan over medium low heat for approximately 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Steam the corn in the microwave based on the package instructions.
- Then it’s time to assemble the bowls. Evenly divide the mashed potatoes into 6 bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with ⅓ cup of cooked corn and pour the gravy on top evenly. Then top with the popcorn chicken and the shredded cheese.
- Serve immediately while hot and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Copycat Recipes:
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Copycat In-N-Out Animal Style Fries Recipe
- Texas Roadhouse Copycat Rolls Recipe