This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe is a staple side dish for our summer BBQ’s. Start with dry beans and combine with the sweet and tangy ingredients. Making these smoky and thick beans a family favorite.
Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe:
Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe is an easy side dish. Making them in the instant pot saves time and doesn’t require you to heat up the kitchen. When we grill out for our summer BBQ’s, I like to make easy side dishes and this one is always at the top of our list.
These baked beans start with dry navy beans and are combined with slices of bacon, BBQ sauce and mustard. These ingredients combined bring out the sweet and tangy flavors.
We also like that you can use different beans or add in different ingredients to make them your own. You will never buy store bought baked beans again. You might also like Instant Pot Pinto Beans Recipe.
What type of beans are used for baked beans?
When making baking beans we used dry navy beans. You can also use pinto beans or great northern beans.
Traditionally, bake beans are made with navy beans. That is why I love this recipe, because you can use what you have.
Can I use Canned Beans?
Yes, if you are short on time, canned beans is definitely and option. These steps will help you make canned beans in the Instant Pot.
- For a 1lb of dry navy beans you will need about 3 cans of baked beans.
- You will still cook the bacon and onion in the instant pot.
- Drain beans and rinse them before adding to the instant pot with other ingredients.
- Pressure cook ingredients for about 8 minutes than do a natural release for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir ingredients and enjoy.
- Dry Navy Beans
- Yellow Onion
- Barbecue Sauce
- Spicy Brown Mustard
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Liquid Smoke – Optional but we recommend it
- Brown Sugar
How to make Baked Beans in the Instant Pot:
- Cook Beans – Add the beans, 8 cups of water, salt and pepper to an instant pot. Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. After this cook time, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Remove beans and drain – Then remove the beans to a strainer in the sink and rinse them with cold water.
- Cook bacon and onion in Instant Pot – Switch the instant pot to the sauté setting. Cook the bacon and onion on the sauté setting 3-5 minutes until the bacon starts to brown slightly.
- Sauté on low – Cook these items on the low sauté setting to prevent them from burning. Then scape down the bottom of the pot with a wooden or metal spatula to remove all the brown bits from the bottom of the instant pot insert.
- Add in beans and remaining ingredients – Then turn off the pressure cooker. Add in the beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke and brown sugar. Then add in the 1 remaining cup of water.
- Stir to combine – Stir to thoroughly combine all these ingredients.
- Cook for additional 10 minutes – Seal the instant pot, pressure cooker on high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot after this cook time. Release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and stir – If you want a thicker sauce, switch the instant pot back to the sauté setting and cook for a few minutes to allow the excess liquid to cook off which will thicken the sauce.
- Serve and Enjoy – Then serve baked beans warm and enjoy.
- Add in other ingredients – We like variety when we make these beans. You can add in bell pepper, slice up some summer sausage or add in extra bacon.
- Spice up the baked beans – To add some additional spice to the baked beans, slice up some fresh jalapeño peppers. We really like the flavors it adds.
- Make it Vegetarian – If you need to make these baked beans vegetarian, just omit the bacon. It is still as flavorful without the bacon.
- Use different beans – We used navy beans in this recipe, but you can also use pinto beans.
- Bacon – When preparing your bacon to cook, cut into small pieces and then add to your instant pot.
Tips for The Best Baked Beans:
- Instant Pot Options – This recipe was tested and made in a 6 quart instant pot. If you are using a larger, 8 quart instant pot, you will need to increase the water added with the sauce ingredients to 1 ½ cups (instead of 1 cup) so that the instant pot can come to pressure.
- Use fresh beans – Make sure when making this recipe that you use fresh beans. When you do not use fresh ingredients, all the beans may not cook thoroughly causing some of the beans to be hard.
- Make on the Stovetop – If you prefer, you make these beans on the stovetop. Just add the ingredients to a dutch oven and cook on low for about an hour.
- Use your favorite BBQ Sauce – You can use any type of BBQ Sauce. You can even make Homemade BBQ Sauce.
- Liquid Smoke – Adding the liquid smoke is optional, but we think it adds so much flavor to the beans.
Can this recipe be make in the Crock Pot?
Yes, we also making these baked beans in the crock pot. Add the ingredients to the crock pot and cook on low for about 4 hours or on high for 2 hours. Delicious thick baked beans are made. This recipes is using canned beans.
Crock Pot Baked Beans is an easy side dish to take to a family get together.
Do beans have to be soaked?
No you do not need to pre-soak beans. I do recommend placing beans in a colander and removing any beans that look bad. This just makes sure that all you beans are cook evenly.
Can you make beans ahead of time?
Yes, this is the perfect side dish to make ahead of time. Especially if we are planning a BBQ these beans store great. In fact, we actually like them better the next day as all the ingredients really soak into the beans giving them lots of flavor.
You might need to add in a little water or chicken broth if them seem dried out.
What to serve with Baked Beans?
Baked beans are a standard side dish, rather we are grilling out with friends and family or just as a side to our favorite recipes. Everyone loves them and they are a great side to many things. Here are our favorites:
- Crock Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches – These sandwiches are so easy to make and combined with the baked beans make a perfect weeknight meal.
- The classic Grilled Hot Dogs and Hamburgers are always a crowd pleaser.
- It is also good with some Baked Ham. You can also dice up some of the ham and add to the baked beans instead of bacon.
How to store:
To store leftover bake beans, place them in an air tight container. They will last about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
When you are read to reheat, place bake beans in a sauce pan on the stovetop and reheat on low. You may to add a little water if the beans seem to thick or dry.
A Family Favorite recipe!
These Instant Pot Baked Beans are made from scratch with dried beans. But making them in the instant pot cooks them faster. They taste so much better than canned beans.
Add your favorite spices or jalapeños to make them your own. Combining the flavors of bacon and BBQ sauce makes the best side dish for your next summer BBQ.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Baked Beans:
Instant Pot Baked Beans
- 16 oz Dry Navy Beans or you can use dry Pinto Beans
- 9 cups water reserve 1 cup
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 8 slices of Bacon cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2 yellow Onion finely diced
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke Optional but we recommend it
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- Add the beans, 8 cups of water, salt and pepper to an instant pot. Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. After this cook time, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Then remove the beans to a stainer in the sink and rinse them with cold water.
- Switch the instant pot to the sauté setting. Cook the bacon and onion on the sauté setting for 3-5 minutes until the bacon starts to brown slightly. I cooked these items on the low sauté setting to prevent them from burning. Then scape down the bottom of the pot with a wooden or metal spatula to remove all the brown bits from the bottom of the instant pot insert.
- Then turn off the instant pot. Add in the beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke and brown sugar. Then add in the 1 remaining cup of water. Stir to thoroughly combine all these ingredients.
- Seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot after this cook time.
- Remove the lid and stir. If you want a thicker sauce, switch the instant pot back to the sauté setting and cook for a few minutes to allow the excess liquid to cook off which will thicken the sauce.
- Then serve warm and enjoy.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe