Instant Pot Pinto Beans is a simple, delicious no soak recipe. These beans go from dry beans to cook beans in less than an hour.
Instant Pot Pinto Beans Recipe:
Pinto beans are a classic recipe that we cook often in the slow cooker and on the stove top. Now we make beans in the instant pot for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. The pinto beans are made with simple ingredients and are so flavorful.
Cooking pinto beans in the instant pot results in tender and delicious beans made in less than an hour. There is no need to pre soak the beans which saves so much time. Pinto Beans are budget friendly and taste so much better when cooked at home.
Skip the canned pinto beans and make them at home. If you grew up on eating pinto beans, then you will love this recipe. Add a side of corn bread or fried potatoes to complete this delicious meal.
What are Pinto Beans?
Pinto Beans is a common bean that is used in chili or mashed and made into refried beans. These beans can be purchased dried or purchased cooked in a can. They are hearty and delicious and a great source of protein.
Pinto beans can be cooked in a slow cooker or on the stove top.
Do I Need to Soak Beans beforehand?
You do not have to soak these beans when cooking them in a instant pot. Growing up my mom would prepare a batch of beans by soaking them in a large pot of water overnight.
But now that I make pinto beans in the instant pot there is no need to pre-soak the beans. Cooking the dry beans in the instant pot is the easiest and best way to prepare tender and delicious pinto beans.
These pinto beans are done in less than 45 minutes which results for an easy weeknight meal.
- Dry Pinto Beans
- Yellow Onion, finely diced
- Minced Garlic
- Bay Leaves
- Ground Cumin
- Dried Oregano
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth
How to Cook Pinto Beans in the Instant Pot:
- Step 1 – Rinse the dry beans in a colander and remove any damaged beans or any debris from the package of beans. Then place the beans in an instant pot.
- Step 2 – Add the remaining ingredients to the instant pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Step 3 – Seal and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. After the cook time, do a quick release by turning the steam value to the vent position on the lid.
- Step 4 – Once the pressure has been released and the pin on the valve drops, remove the lid and remove the bay leaves from the instant pot.
- Step 5 – Serve warm with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
How Long does it take to cook Pinto Beans in the Instant Pot:
We love that cooking pinto beans in the instant pot doesn’t take long. After preparing beans by washing them and removing and debris, place the beans in the instant pot.
Add the seasoning and stir to combine with the pinto beans. Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker.
Seal and cook on high pressure for about 35 minutes. Then do a quick release. We like doing a quick release instead of a natural release.
Pressure cooking has saved my family so much time and money. I was amazed how quickly I can serve my family a hearty meal in less time it takes to go through the drive-thru.
What is the Ratio of Water to Pinto Beans in and Instant Pot?
The ratio for 1 pound of pinto beans and water is about 6 cups of cooking liquid. We add in 4 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of water for flavor. But you can easily just use 6 cups of water.
How Many Cups is 1 Pound of Pinto Beans:
One pound of pinto beans results in about 2 ¼ cups of pinto beans.
What to Serve with Pinto Beans:
Instant Pot Pinto Beans can easily be served as a main dish or as a side dish to your favorite Mexican recipes or any recipe. Here are some of our favorite ways to serve Pinto Beans:
- Pan Fried Potatoes – There is just something about crispy fried potatoes that brings me back to my childhood. This is the perfect side to pinto beans and takes about 15 minutes to prepare.
- Corn Bread – Cornbread is a must when making pinto beans. I love to top my with butter and honey but my husband likes to crumble in his bowl of beans.
- Over Nachos – Make a plate of nachos and spoon pinto beans over the top.
- Make Burrito or Tacos – Make your favorite taco meat and mix some cook pinto beans.
- Mix in Rice – Make a delicious budget friendly meal and mix beans and rice together.
- Chili – Make your favorite chili recipe and add pinto beans in the mix.
- Bake Potato – We like to make bake potatoes and spoon some pinto beans over the time. Filling and healthy meal idea.
- Refried Beans – Mash some cook pinto beans for easy refried beans.
- Soups – We love to make taco soups and adding fresh pinto beans to the batch makes for the best soup. That is why I like putting pinto beans in individual containers to easily add to soups and chili.
- No Pre Soak Needed – You do not have to soak these beans when cooking them in an instant pot.
- Quick Release – We used quick release option on the pressure cooker. This allows the water to immediate turn to boil and helps to thicken up the liquid.
- Fresh Beans – We recommend to use beans that are fresh from the store. They cook better and the results are tender beans.
- Uncooked Beans – After the cooking time if your beans are still tough, give the bean mixture a quick stir. Then close the lid and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Change Seasoning – You are welcome to change the seasoning to what you have on hand. We make sure to salt and pepper them as soon as they are done cooking.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftover beans in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Store in individual containers for an easy lunch the next day. Reheat in the microwave in 30 seconds intervals to heated thoroughly.
How to Freeze Pinto Beans:
Freezing pinto beans is easy to do. This is great way to prep your pinto beans to mash and make refried beans.
- Cool Completely – After cooking the pinto beans, allow them to cool completely before storing.
- Place in Container – Separate the pinto beans in a freezer safe container or a zip lock bag. I like to store in small portions so that I can use as a side dish.
- Freeze – If pinto are stored properly they will last up to 3 months.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Pinto Beans:
Instant Pot Pinto Beans
- 1 pound Dry Pinto Beans
- ½ Yellow Onion finely diced
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 cups Water
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Rinse the dry beans in a colander and remove any damaged beans or any debris from the package of beans. Then place the beans in an instant pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the instant pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. After the cook time, do a quick release by turning the steam value to the vent position on the lid. Once the pressure has been released and the pin on the valve drops, remove the lid and remove the bay leaves from the instant pot.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Bake Beans Recipe
- Easy Instant Pot Refried Beans Recipe
- Instant Pot Green Beans and Bacon Recipe