This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Fried Potatoes Recipe will be an instant family favorite. It will remind you of your grandma’s pan fried potatoes. Easy and delicious side dish.
Easy Fried Potato Recipe:
We love making Fried Potato as an easy side dish. You can make them with your eggs in the morning or with brown beans for dinner. These crispy potatoes are the perfect comfort food and always a family favorite.
Fried potatoes cook with a crispy texture and fluffy in the center. The first dish to get eaten anytime I make them. Add your favorite seasoning including fresh herbs to create the ultimate side dish.
How Long does it take to Make Pan Fried Potatoes?
It only takes about 20 minutes to have the perfect pan-fried potatoes. Including the time it takes to peel and slice your potatoes, you’re looking at about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Trust me, they’re worth it. If you use a mandolin to slice your potatoes, you can save a little bit more time.
Do you Need to Boil Potatoes before Frying?
The short answer is no, you don’t have to boil your potatoes before you pan fry them. If you want to you most definitely can. All you need to do is simply bring a large pot of salted water to boil. You need just enough water to cover the potatoes.
Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook for roughly 20-25 minutes. Once the potatoes are fork-tender, you can fry them in a skillet for 5-10 minutes.
You can also use up those leftover potatoes in the fridge. Maybe you made too many baked potatoes, potato wedges or diced potatoes.
Instead of tossing them in the trash, pan fry them for super quick fried potatoes. They make the best breakfast potatoes with only minutes of cooking.
How Do you Tell if Fried Potatoes are Done?
Most of the time you can tell when the potatoes are done simply by looking at them. You want them to be crispy and golden brown on the outside.
Another good test to see if they’re done is by sticking your fork into them. You want them to be fork-tender, but not to where they are falling apart.
Ingredients for the Best Fried Potatoes Recipe:
- Russet Potatoes (you can also use Yukon Gold)
- Vegetable oil or Olive oil
- Onion; chopped or sliced (optional)
- Optional spices include garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, rosemary or even seasoned salt.
How to make Fried Potatoes:
- Step 1 – Peel Potatoes – First peel your raw potatoes. Then thinly slice them. Typically, I cut them in half long way and then slice them.
- Step 2 – Pour oil in Skillet – Next pour the vegetable into a large skillet. You want to use an oil with a high smoke point. This is the cast iron skillet that I used, though any skillet will do.
- Step 3 – Place Potatoes in Skillet – Add potatoes to the skillet and heat to medium in a single layer. Cook the potatoes in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Step 4 – Place lid on Skillet – Place a lid on the skillet and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until browned and they’re about halfway cooked.
- Step 5 – Season Potatoes – Season liberally with salt and pepper. If you do not want to use sliced onions, you can use onion powder in their place. For garlic lovers, you can also add some garlic powder.
- Step 6 – Continue Cooking – Add the onions and cook for an additional 10 minutes without the lid. Stir occasionally until potatoes are cooked through. Cooking time will vary based on how thick your potatoes are sliced.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – You know they’re fully cooked when they become more translucent and the potatoes are golden and crispy.
Best Potatoes to Use:
The best type of potato to fry is Russet Potato or Yellow Gold Potatoes. You can also use red potato. We do like to soak the russet potato before frying since they have starch content.
Do I have to Peel Potatoes?
Before frying the potatoes, we usually peel them but it is completely optional. If you prefer to not peel the potatoes just make sure to wash them before slicing.
Since you will be eating the entire potato, you want to make sure that you have removed any dirt and debris.
Ways to Serve Fried Potatoes:
There are many ways to serve fried potatoes. We have diced potatoes finely to make some hash browns. Which makes it a perfect side for your breakfast.
Fried potatoes and onions recipe is also a delicious way to make fried potatoes. Adding onions to the potatoes as flavor and texture to this side dish.
How to Store:
Store your leftover fried potatoes in an air tight container. Make sure the potatoes are at room temperature before storing. They will last about 4 days if stored properly.
How to Reheat Pan Fried Potatoes:
You can reheat the potatoes in the microwave or place them back in the skillet to reheat. Reheating in the skillet allows for the crispy texture.
Print Pan Fried Potatoes Recipe:
Pan Fried Potatoes
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. I used this cast iron skillet, but any skillet will do.
- Add the sliced potatoes to the skillet. Cover and cook for 10-15 until the potatoes are browned slightly around the edges and cooked halfway through.
- Season liberally with salt and pepper. Then gently stir in the onions. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes stirring frequently until the potatoes are tender and browned.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Potato Recipes:
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Microwave Baked Potatoes
- Mashed potato cakes recipe