This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
How to Cook a Baked Potato in the Microwave is quick and easy. It only takes minutes and the results are amazing. Baking a potato in the microwave saves so much time.
Microwave Baked Potato:
When I discovered how easy it is to make a bake potato in the microwave, my life changed. I love bake potatoes but I am glad that I can skip the process of heating up the oven just to make one.
Baking a potato in the microwave is the perfect solution when you want to enjoy a delicious baked potato without all the work. This easy microwave potato recipe is the perfect solution.
Whether it is really hot outside or you are craving for a potato now, you are going to love how easy and delicious this microwaved baked potato really is.
How to Make a Potato Bar:
Have you ever done a potato bar? This is the perfect meal idea to feed big crowds. We love doing this when we have friends over for the big game.
You can have your potatoes done and have your toppings set out so everyone can fix their own.
- Green Onions
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
Baked Potato Topping Ideas:
Besides the normal toppings, we also have had meat toppings.
- Chopped Brisket
- Chopped Turkey
- Chili – I use this Easy Quick Chili Recipe. I love to keep leftovers in the freezer and it’s so simple to just take out of the freezer.
- Shredded Roast
- I also like Twice Baked Potatoes with Broccoli and Cheese. Yum! It’s amazing what a great meal this is.
This is a great way to use up leftovers if you have roast or brisket from a previous meal. It becomes another meal and everyone will rave how easy the meal it was to put together.
How Long to Microwave a Baked Potato:
Just keep in mind if you have smaller or larger potatoes, you may need to adjust the cooking time. This is minutes per side. These tips will help you know how long to microwave a potato.
- 1 Potato – 3-4 minutes
- 2 Potatoes – 4-5 minutes
- 3 Potatoes – 5-6 minutes
Sweet Potatoes can also be baked in the microwave. Use these times to help with cooking them. Make sure to adjust depending on the size of potato.
- Russet Potatoes
- A Microwave
- Toppings you want for you baked potatoes
- Season with Salt and Pepper
How long to Make a Baked Potato in the Microwave:
- Step 1 – Prepare Potato – Wash potato skin thoroughly. It’s optional but you can also coat with a little olive oil and seasoned with salt. This helps to crispy the skin.
- Step 2 – Poke Holes – Poke the potato with a fork a few times for the steam to escape.
- Step 3 – Place potato in Microwave – Place the potatoes in the microwave. No container needed. I put them on a paper towel or a microwave safe plate, but you don’t have to.
- Step 4 – Cook Large Potatoes – Cook on high for about 10 -15 minutes. It depends on how many potatoes you are cooking.
- Step 5 – Flip Potato – Flip each potato 1 times each side and continue to cook.
- Step 6 – Continue Cooking – Cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Step 7 – Serve and Enjoy – Each potatoes for baked potato should feel soft to touch when they are done. We felt like 20 minutes was plenty with the 4 big ones we had. You may need to increase or decrease time a little depending on how many potatoes you are cooking.
Note these microwaved baked potatoes are really hot so I like to use oven mitts when handling the hot potatoes. You can wrap in plastic wrap if not eating right away. Just make sure to use microwave safe material if putting something in the microwave.
How to Prepare Microwave Bake Potatoes:
To prepare the potato for cooking in the microwave, follow these steps.
- Scrub the potato with a brush and rinse with water.
- Drizzle with Olive Oil and season with Kosher Salt.
- Poke the Potato with a fork several times all over the sides. This allows the steam to escape.
- Place in a microwave safe dish or place on a paper towel in the microwave.
How to Cut a Baked Potato like a Restaurant:
After you have cooked your bake potato, then you are ready to slice and enjoy.
- Slice the bake potato lengthwise.
- The slice the potato crosswise.
- Place hands on the ends of the potato and gently push the sides in and out. This allows the potato to open.
- Now you are ready to top with your favorite toppings.
How to Use Leftover Baked Potato:
These are some of our favorite ways to use leftover bake potatoes.
- Potato Salad – Make a delicious potato with your leftovers. Warm or cold, that potato will taste awesome in a nice potato salad at your next picnic.
- Potato Soup – This is my personal favorite and it is so easy to make when you have left over baked potatoes. Simply chop up the potatoes, add in onions, chives and whatever cheeses you might like and whip it up into a nice soup.
- More Ways to Use Leftover Baked Potato – We love to use our leftovers in many different ways. Don’t throw you leftovers out, use them in one of these recipes.
What to Serve with Bake Potatoes:
Bake potatoes are a easy and budget side dish that you can serve with many different recipes. Here are some of our favorites:
- Grilled Steak
- Baked Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Salad
Print Microwave Baked Potatoes recipe:
Microwave Baked Potatoes Recipe
- 4 Russet Potatoes (you could buy baking potatoes for the bigger ones if you want)
- a microwave
- any toppings you want for you baked potatoes
- Wash potatoes thoroughly.
- Poke them with a fork a few times (this is optional, but makes me feel better) 😉
- Place in the microwave – no container needed. I put them on a paper towel, but you don’t have to.
- Cook on high for about 10 minutes.
- Flip each potato (careful it will be hot)
- Cook on high for another 10 minutes.
- They should feel soft to touch when they are done. 20 minutes was plenty with 4 big ones we had. You may need to increase or decrease time a little depending on how many potatoes you are cooking.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Microwave Recipes:
- How to Microwave Sweet Potatoes
- 27 Easy Microwave Dessert Recipes
- How to Steam Broccoli in the Microwave
More Easy Side Dish Recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe
- Easy Parmesan Roasted Zucchini Recipe
- Oven Roasted Parmesan Asparagus