Learn how to grill steak so that it turns out perfectly each and every time. We have lots of tips and tricks for the best steak!
how to grill steak
Today we are going to learn how to grill steak perfectly each and every time. No one likes an overdone or burnt steak and these tips will ensure the perfect steak.
Our family loves to grill and it doesn’t matter the weather or time of year. We will grill year round. The food tastes amazing and you have less clean up in the kitchen.
We are always grilling something. You might want to check out this post on how to grill chicken breasts perfectly every time.
Let’s learn how to make this grilled steak recipe!
Our family loves steak so I just had to share the best steak marinade around! It is a 3 ingredient steak marinade that is so delicious and easy.
What you need for perfect grilled steak:
- Steak (Strip, Ribeye and T-bone are my favorite)
- Oil (Olive oil, Canola or Vegetable for oiling grill grates)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Butter (½ tablespoon per steak)
How to grill steak perfectly every time:
Remove the steaks from your refrigerator 45-60 minutes prior to grilling to allow them to come to room temperature.
Season the steaks on both sides with Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
Heat grill to 400 degrees F.
Spray or wipe oil onto the grill grates.
Place steaks on a hot grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes depending on your Steak preference.
Flip the steaks over and grill for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until steak is cooked to your preference.
Remove from the grill and allow steaks rest a minimum of 5 minutes before cutting or serving.
Salt and pepper to taste.
What temperature do you cook steak on a gas grill?
This will depend on how you prefer your steak. Take a look at the guide below:
- Rare – 120F, cool to warm red center
- for Medium Rare – 130F, Warm red center
- Medium – 140F, Hot pink center
- Medium Well – 150F, Mostly brown center
- Well Done – 160F, full brown in color
When checking the internal temperature of steak, make sure to insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the steak. Do this through the side, not the top of the steak.
Do you close the grill when cooking steak?
Yes, it is best to keep the grill lid closed. Keeping it open will slow down the cooking process.
What to serve with grilled steak:
- Grilled Zucchini Spears
- Easy Macaroni Salad
- Grilled Vegetable Foil Pack
- Grilled Zucchini Foil Packs Recipe
- Easy Greek Salad Recipe
- Grilled Vegetable Foil Pack Recipe
- Balsamic Grilled Zucchini
- Grilled Zucchini with Teriyaki Sauce
- Easy Grilled Corn
We also loved baked potatoes with steak:
- Easy twice baked potatoes in only 4 steps
- Instant Pot Baked Twice Baked Potatoes Casserole Recipe
- Easy to make microwave baked potatoes
- Crock pot Baked Potatoes
Easy salads to go with grilled steak:
- Easy Pasta Salad Recipe
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Roasted Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
- Cucumber Onion Salad
- Classic Italian Pasta Salad
Sometimes, we just serve the steak with a baked potato and simple salad. You can’t go wrong with this recipe and it is sure to be a family favorite!
We all love grilled steak and it is one of our most requested meals around here.
Try this delicious grilled steak!
Cooking steak is simple once you know these tips and tricks. Give it a try and let us know how your steak turns out for you.
You will save so much money from going to the steakhouse. Not only will your budget thank you but these steaks are amazing.
Plus, we just love to grill. It is so fun and keeps the kitchen cool. Clean up is easy and you have less mess.
Grilling is always a good idea. 🙂 Give this a try enjoy grilling steak at home!
Print this recipe for grilled steak below:
How to Grill Steak
- Steak Strip, Ribeye and T-bone are my favorite
- Oil Olive, Canola or Vegetable for oiling grill grates
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Butter ½ tablespoon per steak
- Remove the steaks from your refrigerator 45-60 minutes prior to grilling to allow them to come to room temperature.
- Season both sides of the steaks with Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Spray or wipe oil onto the grill grates.
- Place steaks on a hot grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes depending on your Steak Doneness preference.
- Flip the steak over and grill for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until steak is cooked to your preference.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest a minimum of 5 minutes before cutting or serving.
Rare – 120F, cool to warm red center
Medium Rare – 130F, Warm red center
Medium – 140F, Hot pink center
Medium Well – 150F, Mostly brown center
Well Done – 160F, full brown in color
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
This beer brats recipe is so simple and the onions give it amazing flavor.
Try these other easy grilling recipes:
- BBQ Ranch Grilled Chicken Marinade
- Parmesan Grilled Corn on the Cob
- 50 Healthy Grilling Recipes for you to try
- Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- Grilled Balsamic Glazed Chicken
- Parmesan Grilled Zucchini
- How to grill pizza
- how to grill hot dogs