Make this Bacon Wrapped Filet for a steakhouse quality meal at home. The steak is so tender and the bacon makes each bite flavorful.
What is filet mignon?
Filet Mignon is a very tender cut of meat that is typically very expensive at restaurants. This type of steak melts in your mouth. It is so tender and delicious.
You can only get a small amount of this particular cut of meat when butchering so it makes it pricey.
Why do you wrap filet mignon in bacon?
When you wrap the filet in bacon, the steak is infused with tons of bacon flavor while cooking. Another great reason to use bacon is the beautiful sear it helps to give the meat.
The fat from the bacon, as it cooks, gives the filet mignon a perfectly seared appearance. Not only does it look pretty but tastes so delicious.
The bacon around the filet makes filet mignon even better. You definitely want to wrap the steak with bacon.
How to cook bacon wrapped filet in the oven?
This process starts with searing the steak in a skillet on the stove top. After browning each side for 2 to 3 minutes, place the cast iron skillet in the oven.
The steaks will finish cooking and take between 5 to 7 minutes depending on how you like your steak cooked.
More bacon wrapped recipes to try:
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf Recipe
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Chicken Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin Recipe
- Baked Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts Recipe
- Beef Filet Mignon, trim off any excess fat
- Bacon, 1-2 pieces per filet
- Salt and pepper
- Olive Oil
How to cook bacon wrapped filet?
- Preheat the oven. Set the oven to 450 degrees.
- Add bacon and secure with a toothpick. Prepare the filets by wrapping a slice of bacon around each fillet. Secure with a toothpick so the bacon stays on the meat.
- Season the meat. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the filets.
- Heat a cast iron skillet. Use a skillet over medium high heat. Add butter and oil to the pan until melted.
- Put the filets in the pan. Cook them 2 to 3 minute per side. You just want to brown each side and not fully cook them.
- Put the skillet in the oven. Leave the filet mignon in the cast iron skillet and place in the oven. Continue to cook for 6-7 minutes until the steaks are cooked how you prefer them.
- Let the steaks rest for a few minutes. Once you remove steaks from the oven, let the steaks sit for 3 to 5 minutes before serving. Then serve and enjoy these delicious steaks.
Don’t skip or rush this step. It is important to allow the steak time to sit so all of those flavorful juices stay inside.
Steak Temperature for Steak Doneness:
- Rare – 120F, cool to warm red center
- Medium Rare – 130F, Warm red center
- for Medium – 140F, Hot pink center
- Medium Well – 150F, Mostly brown center
- Well Done – 160F, full brown in color
The best way to test for doneness in a steak is by inserting an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the steak. Do this through the side, not the top of the steak.
Cooking Steak Tips
- Room temperature. Allow the meat to come to room temperature before you cook it.
- Remove the meat from the oven when it is slightly underdone. This is because the meat will continue to cook for about 5 minutes after you take it out of the oven. The internal temperature of the steak will increase by 3 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit.
In order to cook the steak to your preference, it is important to remember to cook it slightly underdone.
- Use a meat thermometer. It is so easy to determine how your steak is cooked by using a digital easy read meat thermometer. Make sure to insert the thermometer through the side and not the top.
It is also important to do this at the thickest part of the steak.
What to serve with Bacon wrapped filet?
For more ideas, learn what to serve with steak.
Make Bacon Wrapped Filet for a tasty dinner.
No need to pay a lot of money at a fancy steakhouse for a great meal. Anyone can cook filet mignon at home for a wonderful dinner.
Impress your family this week by serving filet mignon. It is easier than most people realize to make this type of steak at home.
While it sounds fancy, it is actually very simple to cook. Just follow these simple recipe instructions and tips. The results will be amazing steak that is so tender and flavorful.
Print the Best Bacon wrapped filet recipe:
Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon
- 4 Beef Filet Mignon approximately 4-6 oz each, trim off any excess fat
- 8 slices Bacon 1-2 pieces per filet
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- First preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each of the filets and secure the bacon onto the meat with a toothpick.
- Then season both sides of the filets with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter and the oil to the pan and heat it through. Then place the filets in the pan and cook each side for 2-3 minutes to brown both sides.
- Leave the filets in the cast iron skillet and move the pan to the oven. Cook in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the steak is cooked to the preference that you desire (see notes for the temperature of the steak).
- Let the steak sit for 3-5 minutes and then serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe