We have the absolute Best Prime rib recipe. Learn how to make prime rib that is tender and flavorful for restaurant quality prime rib at home!
The Best Prime rib recipe!
We have really easy step by step instructions to make amazing prime rib. Once you learn how to make it at home, be prepared for everyone to want you to cook this often.
It is not difficult at all. Do not be intimated because it is actually super easy. If you have been hesitant to make this or maybe failed in the past, give it a try!
This recipe makes it so easy and you can’t mess this up! Dinner is going to be great.
- Prime Rib
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Thyme
- Minced Garlic
How to make prime rib
The first step is to allow the prime rib to sit at room temperature for 1 hour before you cook it. It needs to come to room temperature.
Go ahead and preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Get out a roasting pan and place the prime rib on the rack inside the pan. Make sure to put this with the bones down.
Use a small bowl and mix together the olive oil with the seasonings. Rub this all over the outside of the prime rib.
Put in the oven at 500 degrees for 15 minutes.
After that, you need to reduce the temperature to 325 degrees. Then cook the roast for 10 to 15 minutes per pound depending on your preference of how done you prefer the meat.
You will need to use a meat thermometer to make sure the beef is cooked to the temperature that you prefer.
Once cooked, take the prime rib from the oven. Put foil over it and allow the roast to rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
How to slice?
Slice the roast against the grain is approximately 1/2″ thick slices.
How long to cook a prime rib?
Here are the approximate time and temperatures needed based on how you like your prime rib cooked.
- Rare – Cook until the beef reaches an internal temperature of 120 degrees F (approximately 10-12 minutes per pound).
- Medium Rare – Cook until the beef reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees (approximately 13-14 minutes per pound).
- for Medium – Cook until the beef reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees (approximately 14-15 minutes per pound).
- Medium Well – Cook until the beef reaches an internal temperature of 150 degrees (approximately 15-16 minutes per pound).
Keep this in mind! The beef will continue to cook after it is removed from the oven. I remove the beef when the meat thermometer reads 5-10 degrees below by desired temperature.
I like to use a digital meat thermometer. They are so much easier to read.
You can get them inexpensively and they are nice to have in the kitchen when you cook meat. It also helps you to cook the perfect prime rib.
What to serve with prime rib?
- Mashed Potatoes – This is our favorite side to serve with this. Oh and sometimes we make loaded mashed potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes – This is an easy stove top recipe that is cheesy and delicious.
- Sweet Potatoes – So quick and easy in the microwave.
- Roasted green beans – Another favorite around here and so easy.
- Asparagus– Oven roasted and packed with parmesan flavor. It is so good!
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts – These are amazing roasted in the oven. It changes the texture and even the kids like them.
The best prime rib recipe
This Prime rib roast recipe is a must try. Put it on your menu plan and make it soon.
I promise you will not regret it. Prime rib sounds fancy but it is so easy to make.
Your family can enjoy a really nice meal at home for a fraction of the cost of going out. We think it tastes better too.
Let us know once you try this. Leave a comment telling us how it turned out. I think you will really like it.
Just make sure to follow the step by step instructions and you can’t go wrong!
Print this Easy prime rib roast recipe:
How to make Prime Rib
- 7 lbs Prime Rib
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Fresh Rosemary
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- Let the prime rib sit at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking so that it can come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Place the prime rib on a rack inside a roasting pan with the bones down.
- Mix together the olive oil with the seasonings in a small bowl.
- Rub the seasoning mixture on the outside of the prime rib roast.
- Bake the prime rib at 500 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- The cook for 10-15 minutes per pound depending on how done you prefer it to be (time and temperatures are listed in the recipe notes).
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the beef is cooked to the temperature that you desire.
- After the cook time, remove the prime rib from the oven. Cover it with foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- Slice the roast against the grain is approximately 1/2? thick slices. Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe