Learn How to Bake a Potato so that it has a crispy texture and is soft on the inside. Easy steps to make the best steaming hot bake potato.
Easy Baked Potato Recipe:
Baking potatoes in the oven require a little more time and preparation than if you were to bake them in the microwave. Potatoes make the perfect side or we have even had them as a main dish.
Making the perfect potatoe is easy to do with these steps. They come out with a crispy skin and soft, fluffy inside. It helps to coat the skin with sea salt to add so much flavor to the skin.
There are many things to top a potato. You can top with meat or keep it as simple as cheese and butter. We love that potatoes are simple and easy to make and are budget friendly.
How to make a Bake Potato:
When we are preparing to make potatoes, we use russet potatoes. We love the way the skin gets crispy and really fluffs up during the baking process.
Prepare your potatoes but rubbing your potatoes with avocado oil and salt. Poke holes in the potatoes with a fork and place in the oven. In about an hour, you will have the best potatoes.
Then top with your favorite toppings.
- Medium Russet Potatoes, cleaned and dried
- Avocado Oil – You can also use Olive Oil.
- Sea Salt
How to Bake a Potato:
- Prepare Oven – Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Get Potatoes ready for baking – Use a fork to poke various holes into the potatoes. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet, rub the potatoes with the oil and then sprinkle the salt all over the outside of the potatoes.
- Place potatoes in oven on oven racks – Bake the potatoes for 1 hour – 1 hour and 15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender and the skin is crispy. The cooking time will vary based on the size of the potatoes.
- Remove from oven – Allow the potatoes to cool slight before serving. Then cut with a paring knife, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
What type of Potatoes for baking?
We like to russet potatoes for baking. If we plan on baking potatoes, we do not use the ones in the bag. In the produce section, there is an area designated for bake potatoes and those are the ones we get.
Russet potatoes have a thicker, sweet texture and make the perfect baked potato.
Can I use Sweet Potatoes?
We love putting sweet potatoes in the oven. You can prepare them the same way as you do the russet potatoes with the oil and the salt. We have found that sweet potatoes do not take as long to bake as russet potatoes.
How long to Bake a Potato:
When we are purchasing bake potatoes, we try to get the same size of potatoes. This ensure that they will be done around the same time.
Bake potatoes for an hour in the oven. Poke potato with a knife or a fork to see if tender. If fork slides in easily, then potatoes are done. If not, then bake for for another 15 to 20 minutes.
Can I put Potatoes in the Microwave?
Yes, you can put potatoes in the microwave. This is a quick way to prepare your potatoes but they do not come out as crispy texture as they do in the oven.
Bake Potato Toppings:
- Classic Toppings – These are our favorite classic toppings butter, cheese, chives, sour cream, salt and pepper or bacon bits.
- Top with Meat – Any type of meat – shredded chicken, pork, beef
- Chili – Top with your favorite traditional chili and cheese.
- Vegetables – If you have some roasted vegetables, top them on your potato.
Tips for Bake Potatoes:
- Dry Potatoes – Make sure that the potatoes are dry before baking to prevent any burning on the outside of the potato skin.
- No Foil Needed – For the best crispy skin, do no wrap potatoes in foil. This causes the skin to softened.
- Add the Salt – We recommend not skipping on the salt. Adding the salt makes the skin extra crispy and gives the skin so much flavor. I used to not eat the skin, until I started adding the salt.
- Cooking time will vary – Depending on the size of the potatoes and your oven, baking time will vary. If you have smaller potatoes they may take about 45 minutes. But larger potatoes take over an hour.
- Wash Potato – Make sure to thoroughly wash the potato before preparing it for baking.
How to Store:
Store any leftover potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days. Potatoes are really good leftovers. We top them with more cheese and bake again for about 10 minutes. It gets the skin extra crispy.
Print Recipe here for How to Bake a Potato:
How to Bake a Potato
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes cleaned and dried
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Tbsp Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a fork to poke various holes into the potatoes. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet, rub the potatoes with the oil and then sprinkle the salt all over the outside of the potatoes.
- Bake the potatoes for 1 hour – 1 hour and 15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender and the skin is crispy. The cooking time will vary based on the size of the potatoes.
- Allow the potatoes to cool slight before serving. Then cut, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe