This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Hasselback Potatoes is thinly sliced potatoes that are roasted with a crispy texture. Top with with cheddar cheese, bacon and sour cream for a delicious side dish.
Easy Hasselback Potatoes Recipe:
We love making potatoes as a side dish with many different recipes. We make mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes and grilled potatoes regularly. But we love these Hasselback potatoes because of the delicious texture.
You will love this thin slices potatoes because of how delicious they are. Add your favorite toppings to top these russets potatoes with cheese, bacon, and chopped green onions.
These potatoes look fancy but are one of the easiest side dish your will make. Serve with grilled steak or chicken for an complete meal idea.
Why are they called Hasselback Potatoes?
These Hasselback Potatoes were named from a Swedish Restaurant. They were popular side dish because of the crispy texture and the soft on the inside.
How to Cut Hasselback Potatoes:
Hasselback potatoes can easily be cut with these easy tips.
- Start with a medium size potato on a cutting board.
- We recommend placing wooden spoons or chopsticks to prevent cutting through the potatoes.
- Begin cutting the potatoes ⅛ inch thick slices.
- Make sure to cut almost all the way through the potatoes.
- We like to keep the skin on the potatoes to keep the slices together.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Salted Butter (melted)
- Minced Garlic
- Italian Seasonings
- Black Pepper
- Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Parsley (chopped)
How to Make Hasselback Potatoes:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Prepare Potatoes – Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Step 3 – Place potatoes – Place one of the potatoes on a cutting board. Lay chopsticks or skewers on both sides of the potatoes.
- Step 4 – Slice Potatoes – Use a sharp knife to cut slices into the potatoes. Cut that are approximately ⅛ inch thick. But do not cut all the way through the potatoes (stop when the knife hits the chopsticks or skewers).
- Step 5 – Continue – Continue this process until all the potatoes have been sliced.
- Step 6 – Add to baking sheet – Place the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil. Rub the olive oil onto the potatoes, getting into the slices if possible.
- Step 7 – Bake Potatoes – Bake for 55-60 minutes until the potato slices are starting to separate from the potatoes.
- Step 8 – Mix Seasoning – In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, minced garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Step 9 – Brush Potatoes – Brush the butter mixture onto the potatoes getting into the slices. But be careful not to break the slices off.
- Step 10 – Season Potatoes – Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the Parmesan Cheese over the potatoes.
- Step 11 – Bake Potatoes – Place the potatoes back in the oven. Then bake for 15-20 more minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Step 12 – Serve and Enjoy – Let the potatoes cool slightly and then they are ready to serve and enjoy.
- Potatoes – Make sure to clean and dry potatoes before slicing the potatoes.
- Slice Potatoes – Slice the potatoes in small thin slices but not all the way through the potato.
- Prepare Baking Sheet – Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil to prepare for baking. This helps for cleanup when serving.
- Oil Potatoes – When adding the oil to the potatoes, make sure to get into the slices.
- Cooking time will vary – Depending on the size of the potatoes and your oven, baking time will vary. If you have smaller potatoes they may take about 30 minutes. But larger potatoes take over an hour.
- Baking Potatoes – Bake the potatoes for about 50 minutes or until potato slices start to separate. You potatoes will be golden brown when they are finished cooking.
- Adding Seasoning – Combine the seasoning in a small bowl then brush on the potatoes. Make sure to be gently so the potatoes slices do not split. Then top with cheese for a crispy texture.
Baked Potato Variations:
- Potatoes – We used Yukon Gold Potatoes, but you can use any starchy potatoes. Russet Potatoes are a great option or any Idaho potatoes.
- Cheese – Feel free to change the cheese in this recipe. Top the potato with Monterey Jack Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese instead of parmesan cheese.
- Toppings – We love to add many different to these potatoes. Top with sour cream, salsa, and chopped bacon. We have drizzled cheese sauce for amazing taste and flavor.
- Garlic Butter Seasoning – You can easily change the garlic herb butter mixture to what you prefer. Add in fresh thyme, rosemary, and garlic.
- Air Fry – For a quick and easy recipe, you can easily make this recipe in the air fryer basket. We love using out air fryer and these potatoes will cook in about 20 minutes.
Can they be Prepared ahead of time?
These potatoes can be prepared ahead of time, but we do recommend serving shortly after being cooked. You can easily bake the potato, then when you are ready to serve, top with cheese.
Then place back in the oven to bake again.
Can I Use Sweet Potatoes?
Yes, you can easily use sweet potatoes for this recipe. Prepare the sweet potatoes as the recipe indicates and place in the oven.
Cooking time may vary when using a sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes cook faster in the oven then regular potatoes.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Print Recipe for Hasselback Potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Place one of the potatoes on a cutting board. Lay chopsticks or skewers on both sides of the potatoes. Use a sharp knife to cut slices into the potatoes that are approximately ⅛ inch thick but do not cut all the way through the potatoes (stop when the knife hits the chopsticks or skewers).
- Continue this process until all the potatoes have been sliced.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil. Rub the olive oil onto the potatoes, getting into the slices if possible.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until the potato slices are starting to separate from the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, minced garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Brush the butter mixture onto the potatoes getting into the slices but be careful not to break the slices off.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the Parmesan Cheese over the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes back in the oven and bake for 15-20 more minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Let the potatoes cool slightly and then they are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Potato Recipes:
- Pan-Fried Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
- Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe