This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Loaded Baked Potato Casserole is loaded with flavors and tastes amazing. It is easy to make and the perfect side dish.
Easy Loaded Baked Potato Casserole Recipe:
We make different types of potato recipes as a side dish for holiday meals and family dinners. This baked potato casserole is one of our favorites as the potatoes are cooked tender and loaded with cheese.
If you are looking for the ultimate potato casserole, then this is the one to make. Start by cooking fresh diced potatoes and then combined with other ingredients.
All the ingredients are baked to perfection in a casserole dish. This side dish is almost like a twice baked potato casserole, so I know your family will love it.
- Large Russets Potatoes
- Minced Garlic
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Bacon cooked and crumbled
- Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- Green Onions (diced)
How to Make Loaded Baked Potato Casserole:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then spray a 9X13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Step 2 – Prepare Potatoes – Clean, peel and dice the potatoes.
- Step 3 – Cook Potatoes – Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Step 4 – Drain Potatoes – Drain the potatoes and then return them back to the pot. There is no need to use a potato masher, you want the potatoes to stay in a diced form.
- Step 5 – Combine in ingredients – Gently stir in the garlic, cream cheese, sour cream. butter, salt, pepper and milk.
- Step 6 – Stir in Bacon and cheese – Then carefully stir in most of the bacon (reserve some for topping). Also add in 1 ½ cup of the shredded cheese.
- Step 7 – Place in Baking Dish – Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Step 8 – Bake Casserole – Bake for 20-25 minutes. Top with reserved bacon and remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Step 9 – Top with Green Onions – Remove from the oven and top with the diced green onions and serve.
- Step 10 – Serve and Enjoy – Then the casserole is ready to serve and enjoy.
Do you Cook Potatoes before making Casserole?
Yes, in this recipe you will cook the potatoes until they are a soft consistency. You can test the potatoes by inserting a fork in them.
- Preparing Baking Dish – Make sure to spray the baking dish with cooking spray. This makes it easy to clean up the baking dish and serving the casserole.
- Cooking Bacon – Cook the bacon until it is crispy. This is a great option to prepare the bacon ahead of time.
- Cooking Potatoes – Cook the diced potatoes until they are fork tender. You can also prepare the potatoes ahead of time. You want the potatoes cooked until they are soft not like mash potatoes.
- Mixing Ingredients – Combine ingredients in a large bowl until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Baking Casserole – Bake the casserole for about 20 minutes. You will need to cook the casserole until the cheese is melted.
Baked Loaded Potato Casserole Variation Ideas:
- Potatoes – We used Russet potatoes in this recipe, but you can use other types of potatoes. Use Yukon Gold Potatoes or Red potatoes.
- Bacon – We like to cook our own crispy bacon, but you can also use bacon bits. We have also used already cooked bacon for an easy addition to this casserole.
- Add in Vegetable – Feel free to add in vegetables to this casserole. We have sprinkle in broccoli, onions, and more.
- Seasoning – You can easily add in different seasoning to this casserole. Mix in garlic powder, chopped onions, and more.
- Cheese – We used cheddar cheese but you can also use sharp cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese for this recipe. Use what you have but we do recommend shredding cheese yourself. It melts better and is more creamy.
- Add in Meat – For a complete meal idea, you can easily add in meat which makes the perfect potluck recipe. Fold in ham, chicken, or ground beef.
Can you Make Ahead of time?
Yes, this recipe is great to prepare ahead of time and pour into the casserole dish. Then place in the fridge until ready to bake. We have even doubled the recipe and placed the other one in the freezer.
Prepare the casserole and place in a disposable pan. Cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Then place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to cook, you can thaw overnight in the fridge. Then it is ready to bake. This is the perfect side dish to prepared ahead of time for all your holiday baking.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week. This casserole is even better leftover. Store in individual containers and reheat in the microwave.
The flavors really marinate together as it stores in the fridge.
Print Recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Casserole:
Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9X13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Clean, peel and dice the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and then return them back to the pot.
- Gently stir in the garlic, cream cheese, sour cream. butter, salt, pepper and milk.
- Then carefully stir in most of the bacon (reserve some for topping) and 1 ½ cup of the shredded cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Top with reserved bacon and remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with the diced green onions.
- Then the casserole is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Potato Casserole Recipes:
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Crockpot Hamburger Potato Casserole Recipe
- Cottage Potatoes
- Easy Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe