This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
There isn’t anything more classic than this delicious Sweet potato casserole. Layers of sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows and pecans make this more like a dessert than a side dish. Yum!
The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe:
There is always one dish at family gatherings that everyone fights over. This sweet potato casserole is “that” dish in our family. What’s not to like about creamy and sweet potatoes topped with lots of delicious pecan streusel and marshmallows?
This is an amazing recipe that completes your holiday dinner. At any holiday or special occasion, everyone expects to see this sweet potato casserole. I always sign up to bring it because it really is so easy.
If you are looking for the best sweet potato casserole marshmallow recipe, then this is the one to make. This recipe is perfect for Christmas, Easter and more.
What is the difference between Sweet Potatoes and Yams?
Sweet potatoes have a lighter skin and canned yams are much darker. The flesh is also different. Yams are dryer and not as sweet.
The flesh of Sweet potatoes have more moisture and also taste sweeter. They are both great Thanksgiving Side dishes.
Can I use Canned Sweet Potatoes?
Yes, you can. You can use canned or frozen sweet potatoes when making this sweet potato casserole.
The canned sweet potato are smaller in size so take that into consideration when you are preparing your sweet potato casserole.
Do you peel sweet potatoes before boiling?
Yes! Go ahead and peel the potatoes prior to boiling. This will make the entire process easier. After you peel the sweet potatoes, cut them into equal size cubes. This will help them to cook evenly when you boil them.
We like to make this recipe as easy as possible. So I usually will have the kids start peeling the sweet potatoes while I am working on the other dishes. I am all about team work when it comes to making our holiday meal.
Ingredients for Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe:
- Sweet Potatoes – peeled and cut into cubes
- Light Brown Sugar – packed
- Unsalted Butter – softened
- Pecans – chopped, divided
- Cinnamon – You can also sprinkle in some pumpkin pie spice. This gives it so much flavor.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mini marshmallows
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole from scratch
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – First, preheat the oven to 375°F. Next, grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Step 2 – Cook Sweet Potatoes – Place sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water. Simmer for 15 minutes to 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain.
- Step 3 – Sweet Potato Mixture – In a large pot, mash the sweet potatoes with brown sugar. Then add in butter, cinnamon, and salt & pepper with a potato masher. You can also use a hand mixer.
- Step 4 – Fold in half of the pecans and spread into large bowl with the melted butter.
- Step 5 – Put the combined ingredients in a baking dish or baking sheet.
- Step 6 – Add Toppings – Sprinkle with the marshmallows and the remaining pecans.
- Step 7 – Bake Casserole – Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until marshmallows and baking are golden brown. Cook potatoes are heated through.
- Step 8 – Serve and Enjoy – Make sure you keep an eye on the casserole. So that the marshmallows on top do not burn. It doesn’t take long for the cooked sweet potatoes, marshmallows and streusel topping to get golden brown.
What you need:
They are great because you just throw them away when you are done. We use them often so help out on those crazy busy nights.
- Stir Ingredients – Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl to create amazing texture.
- Cooking Sweet Potatoes – You can easily cook the sweet potatoes ahead of time to save time when making this casserole recipe. Peeled and cubed sweet potatoes to cook the sweet potatoes faster.
- Preparing Baking Dish – We recommend spraying the baking dish with cooking spray. This helps to make for easy cleanup and easy to serve.
- Vanilla Extract – For a warm flavor, feel free to add in vanilla extract or maple syrup.
- Marshmallows – If you prefer, you can make this recipe without marshmallows. You can use what you prefer. We recommend using mini marshmallows.
Is it Better to Boil or Bake Sweet Potatoes for Casserole?
When making these sweet potato casserole you can boil or bake the sweet potatoes. It is all about your preference. The flavor of the casserole is still delicious no matter how you prepare.
We even have used leftover sweet potatoes to make this casserole.
How to Store Leftovers
This sweet potato casserole can be made ahead of time. The perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving dinner.
You can store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. For your leftovers, cover and put in the refrigerator. This casserole stores so well. Make sure the casserole has come to room temperature before storing in an airtight container.
How to Freeze Sweet Potato Casserole
If you do plan on making sweet potato casserole and freezing for a later meal. I would not put the pecan and marshmallow topping on until you are ready to eat.
You can freeze this casserole for up to a month. When placing in the freezer be sure to wrap first with a plastic wrap and then with aluminum foil.
Print the recipe for sweet potato casserole marshmallow below:
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- ¾ cup pecans chopped divided
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon or to taste
- 1/4 salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Place sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water. Simmer for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and salt & pepper.
- Fold in half of the pecans and spread into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with the marshmallows and the remaining pecans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown and potatoes are heated through.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these casserole recipes:
- Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole Recipe
- 5 Ingredient Corn Casserole recipe
- Skillet Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Easy Stuffing Recipe
- Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Try these other 50 Easy Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes and Easy Thanksgiving Casseroles Recipes