This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Green Bean Casserole with Cream of Chicken is a classic side dish that we serve every holiday. Simple ingredients make this recipe easy to prepare.
Green bean casserole with simple ingredients is perfect served as a Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish. It is loaded with flavor and is easy to make.
Green bean casseroles are a must for all of our holiday dinners. If your family loves it as much as mine, check out these variations. Chicken Green Casserole and Green Bean Casserole with bacon are easy to make but with a delicious twist.
Table of contents
Why you will love Green Bean Casserole:
- Very little preparation. You only need a few minutes of preparation.
- Make in advance. Prepare this dish in advance to save even more time.
- The best side dish. It is so delicious served during the holidays.
- Frozen Green Beans
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- Crispy Fried Onions (divided)
Jump to the bottom of the post and find the complete ingredient list in the recipe card.
Variations and Additions:
- Cream of Chicken Soup – We used canned cream of chicken condensed soup, but you can also make Homemade Cream of Chicken.
- Cream of Mushroom. Substitute Cream of Mushroom Soup for another tasty variation.
- Cheese – For a cheesy, creamy center you can add in shredded cheddar cheese to the mixture. We love the addition and perfect for all your cheese lovers.
- Potatoes – Another addition is add in diced potatoes. This is a delicious addition and the potatoes cook perfect in the casserole.
- Slow Cooker – If you prefer, you can make this recipe in the slow cooker. Check out Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole.
- Casserole Topping – Feel free to change the topping of the casserole. You can top with crushed crackers or dried bread crumbs. Salad croutons is also a great options. You may just need to crumble them up.
How to Make Green Bean Casserole:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Prepare Green Beans – Steam the green beans. If you are using a steamable pack, then cook them based on the package instructions. If not, boil water in a pot. Add the green beans to a steamer basket. Then cook for 5-8 minutes until they are just tender (do not over cook).
Step 3 – In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, milk, soy sauce and black pepper.
Step 4 – Stir in the green beans and half of the French fried onions.
Step 5 – Pour this mixture in a quart casserole dish.
Step 6 – Bake casserole in baking dish for 30 minutes. Then stir the mixture and then top with the remaining cup of French fried crispy onions. Then bake for 10 minutes. Serve and Enjoy!
- Prepare Green Beans – Prepare the frozen green beans before combining with the other ingredients. This ensures they are heated through before baking.
- Drain Green Beans – To ensure you do not have a soupy mixture. Make sure that there is no moisture on the green beans. We have even dried them with paper towels after steaming.
- Adding French Onions – Mix in half the French Fried onions into the mixture and bake. But the crispy topping is my favorite, so I like to add more on top. Add and then bake an additional 10 minutes. It is worth the extra baking time.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This delicious side dish stores well and reheats easily with your other holiday leftovers.
How to Reheat Leftovers:
Reheating your green bean casserole is easy to do. If you have a small serving, you can reheat in the microwave. Slowly reheat in 30 second intervals so you don’t overcook the green beans.
You can also place the leftovers in a casserole dish and reheat in the oven. Preheat the over to 350 degrees and heat for about 10 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, you can combine the green bean mixture ahead of time. We do not recommend adding in the crispy onions until you are ready to bake. If you add the crispy onions in to early the onions can get mushy.
You can use any type of green beans. We used frozen green beans and just steamed them in the package. This makes for an easy step. Canned green beans work great to as their is no prep work. Fresh green beans are great but you do have to prep them prior to adding to the casserole mixture.
This casserole should end up thick and creamy. If you do end up with a soup casserole, it may be because of the moisture from the green beans. As it cools from baking it will thicken up. But you can also add in a cornstarch slurry for the last 10 minutes of baking time. This will thicken the mixture to create the perfect green bean casserole.
More Easy Casserole Side Dish Recipes:
Try this green bean casserole recipe with cream of chicken for an easy side dish. Please leave a comment once you do. I love to hear from you!
Green Bean Casserole with Cream of Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Steam the green beans. If you are using a steamable pack, then cook them based on the package instructions. If not, boil water in a pot. Add the green beans to a steamer basket and cook for 5-8 minutes until they are just tender (do not over cook).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, milk, soy sauce and pepper.
- Stir in the green beans and half of the french fried onions.
- Pour this mixture in a casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stir the mixture and then top with the remaining french fried onions.
- Bake for 10 more minutes until the onions on top are browned.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe