This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Green Bean Casserole with Bacon and Cheese is a delicious twist on a classic recipe. This green bean casserole is loaded with cheese, bacon and more. It has amazing flavor and perfect served this Thanksgiving.
If you are looking for a change in your favorite green bean casserole recipe, add in bacon and cheese. Trust me, you will not make this bacon cheddar green bean casserole any other way. It is cheesy, creamy and now this green bean casserole recipe with bacon and cheese is my go-to recipe.
Make sure to check out all of our Side Dish Recipes to make you holiday meal complete this year. We love the added in ingredients to our traditional green bean casserole. You may also love our Chicken Green Bean Casserole or Cheesy Green Bean Casserole Recipe.
Table of Contents
- Why We Love this Casserole:
- Variation Ideas:
- Step by Step Instructions:
- Recipe Tips:
- What is a Healthy Substitute for Cream Soup?
- How to Make Ahead of Time:
- Can I Freeze Green Bean Casserole?
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- More Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipes:
- Green Bean Casserole with Bacon and Cheese Recipe
Why We Love this Casserole:
- Simple Ingredients – We love that this is casserole is made with still the same ingredients. We just added a few more ingredients to change the flavor.
- Easy to Make – This casserole is always on our Thanksgiving menu. We love how easy it is to make and always a crowd favorite.
- Bacon and Cheese – The addition of the bacon and cheese really takes this casserole to the next level. It cheesy, crispy, and the perfect amount of delicious flavor.
- Frozen Green Beans
- Bacon (cooked and chopped)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Black Pepper
- Soy Sauce
- Cheddar Cheese (shredded).
- French Fried Onions
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe card for the full recipe.
- Cheese – Free free to sprinkle different types of cheese on this casserole. We used shredded cheddar cheese but you can use mix a combination of parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar with the other ingredients. This combination makes extra cheesy.
- Seasoning – We used simple seasoning in this recipe. You can definitely add in garlic, chicken broth, or heavy cream for added flavor.
- Crushed Crackers – You can add a layer of crushed crackers for an extra crunch to the casserole.
- Chicken – For a complete meal idea, add in shredded chicken. If we get a craving for this casserole throughout the year, I like to add in shredded chicken. It makes it hearty, delicious and a family favorite.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Fry the slices bacon in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Let the bacon cool and then chop the bacon.
Step 2 – In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup and milk. Add in salt, pepper, soy sauce and half of the shredded cheddar cheese and half of the cooked bacon.
Step 3 – Stir in the green beans and cook. Also add in half of the French fried onions.
Step 4 – Pour this green bean mixture in a casserole dish.
- Step 5 – Bake for 25 minutes to 30 minutes. Stir the mixture and then top with the remaining chopped bacon. Then add shredded cheese and crispy fried onions.
- Step 6 – Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Step 7 – Serve and enjoy. This casserole makes the perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
- Bacon – Cook and prepare bacon before adding in with the other ingredients. You can easily prepare ahead of time and just crumble into the mixture when ready to bake. Make sure to drain grease on paper towel lined plate.
- Combining Ingredients – Combine the ingredients until everything is mixed well together.
- Baking Casserole – Bake casserole then top with cheese, bacon and fried onions. Then continue baking. This allows for the cheese to melt and bacon to get extra crispy.
- Serving – This casserole is best served warm.
- Cheese – When adding in the shredded cheese, make sure you shred the cheese yourself. Pre-shredded cheese has added ingredients and doesn’t melt as well as shredded cheese.
What is a Healthy Substitute for Cream Soup?
This casserole is delicious a can of cream of mushroom soup. But if you do not like mushrooms, then you can easily make it with cream of chicken soup.
You can even make this recipe with homemade cream of soup with simple ingredients. Check out these option for a healthy twist on cream soup.
Making homemade cream of soups for your recipes saves time and money. We also like to make them so we know the ingredients we are adding to our recipes. You can also make them gluten free.
How to Make Ahead of Time:
This is the perfect casserole to prepare ahead of time. With holiday baking, I like to plan ahead and make this casserole about 24 hours ahead of time.
- Prepare Ingredients – Instead of baking it, cool the casserole completely. Then cover it with foil or plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator.
- Baking – Then when you are ready to bake it, let it sit at room temperature before baking. Add an additional 10-15 minutes to the bake time to make sure the casserole is heated through.
- Double the Recipe – If your family loves this recipe as much as I do, double the recipe. This way you can have another prepare for the next holiday.
Can I Freeze Green Bean Casserole?
Yes, green bean casserole can be frozen. Once the casserole has cooled to room temperature, place in a freezer safe container. Make sure to cover and date it.
If stored properly, the casserole will last about 6 months. When ready to enjoy, allow to thaw in the fridge and then reheat. You can reheat in the oven for an easy side dish.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. We think this casserole is even better the next day. The leftover green bean casserole marinates overnight for the best flavor.
This casserole can be made with different types of green beans. You can make with fresh green beans, frozen green beans or can green beans.
We used frozen in this recipe and we did not thaw before mixing with the other ingredients.
More Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipes:
- Easy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Green Bean Casserole with Bacon Recipe
- Large Skillet Green Bean Casserole Recipe
We love hearing from you. Make sure to leave us a comment or a star review if you try this green bean casserole with cheese and bacon recipe.
Green Bean Casserole with Bacon and Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the bacon in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Let the bacon cool and then chop the bacon.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt, pepper, soy sauce and half of the shredded cheddar cheese and half of the cooked bacon.
- Stir in the green beans and half of the french fried onions.
- Pour this mixture in a casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stir the mixture and then top with the remaining chopped bacon, shredded cheese and french fried onions.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe