Take your Classic Green Bean Casserole to the next level and make Green Bean Casserole with Bacon. The ingredients are simple and the flavor is amazing.
Green Bean Casserole with Bacon Recipe:
We love having traditional sides at our holiday dinner. Green Bean Casserole is one side that is made every year. This year we decided to add bacon to our traditional recipe and I am so glad we did.
All the ingredients are the same from the traditional green bean casserole. But adding bacon takes this classic recipe to the next level. It adds flavor and an extra crunch to the green bean mixture.
Surprise your guest this year with a twist on classic recipe. You might also like our cheesy version. We love easy side dishes recipes for the holidays and this one of the easiest you will make. This is the ultimate green bean casserole with bacon. You can also add in cheddar cheese.
Are you suppose to Cover Green Bean Casserole when Baking?
No, you do not need to cover the green bean casserole when baking. If not covered, the french fried onions that tops the casserole gets extra crispy. We also like the top to get an extra golden brown and hot and bubbly.
- Frozen Green Beans, or Fresh Green Beans
- Cream of Mushroom Soup (10 oz each)
- Slices of Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
- Minced Garlic
- French Fried Onions, divided
How to Make Green Bean Casserole with Bacon:
- Prepare the Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook Green Beans. Boil water in a saucepan over medium high heat and cook the green beans for approximately 5 minutes in the water. Drain and rinse the green beans under cold water and set aside.
- Prepare Bacon – Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until the bacon is crispy. Move the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Drain Grease – Drain off most of the bacon grease (leave approximately 1 tbsp of grease).
- Cook Mushrooms – Add the mushrooms to the skillet. Cook them over medium high heat for approximately 5 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Add in Garlic – Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic. Sauté the mushrooms and garlic together. Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Add in Ingredients – Crumble the bacon and add it back to the pan. Then stir in the cream of mushroom soups, milk and salt and pepper. Then gently fold in the green beans.
- Add in Onions –Top with 2 cups of the French fried onions into the mixture.
- Add to baking dish – Pour this mixture in a casserole dish.
- Bake Casserole – Bake for 30 minutes, stir the mixture and then top with the remaining french fried onions.
- Bake until Golden Brown – Bake for 10 more minutes. Cooking time will vary.
- Serve and enjoy.
Can I use Can Green Beans in Green Bean Casserole?
You can also use canned green beans in this recipe if you prefer. If you use canned, use approximately 3 cans. Drain them and you do not need to pre-cook them before stirring them into the mixture.
What is a Healthy Substitute for Cream Soup?
We like to use canned cream of mushroom soup for the convenience of it. But you can make your own with simple ingredients.
Making homemade cream of soups for your recipes saves time and money. We also like to make them so we know the ingredients we are adding to our recipes. You can also make them gluten free.
Can you make Ahead of Time?
This casserole can be made up to 24 hours before serving. Instead of baking it, cool the casserole completely, cover it with foil or plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator.
Then when you are ready to bake it, let it sit at room temperature before baking. Add an additional 10-15 minutes to the bake time to make sure the casserole is heated through.
When preparing our Thanksgiving menu, I like to make note of the recipes that I can make ahead of time. This one is always on the list.
How to Store:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can you Freeze Green Bean Casserole?
Yes, you can freeze green bean casserole. Once it has cooled to room temperature, place in a freeze safe container. Wrap the casserole in a plastic wrap and then with foil. Place in the freezer and if stored properly, it will last up to 6 months.
When you are ready to serve, let the green bean casserole thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then place in a baking dish and reheat in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
You can also place small portions in the microwave if you prefer.
What to Serve with Bacon Green Bean Casserole:
Bacon Green Bean Casserole is the perfect addition to your holiday meal. Here are some of our favorite holiday recipes to serve with the casserole.
- Easy Crock Pot Ham Recipe. Cooking ham in the crock pot is a great way to free up your oven space in the crock pot. Plus you will love how amazing it taste.
- Roasted Turkey – This Roasted Turkey is tender, juicy and packed with flavor. This oven baked turkey is so easy and really delicious.
- Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes – This recipe is a game changer and makes mashed potatoes so simple. No need for separate pans and boiling potatoes. This easy recipe does not require any boiling or draining.
How do you Keep Green Bean Casserole from getting mushy?
To keep the green bean casserole from getting mushy, make sure you don’t overcook the green beans. Undercooking the green beans allows them to finish cooking in the oven.
Print Recipe here for Green Bean Casserole with Bacon:
Green Bean Casserole with Bacon
- 24 oz Frozen Green Beans or fresh
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup 10 oz each
- 6 slices Bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cups Fresh Mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups French Fried Onions divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil water in a saucepan over medium high heat and cook the green beans for approximately 5 minutes in the water. Drain and rinse the green beans under cold water and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until the bacon is crispy. Move the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Drain off most of the bacon grease (leave approximately 1 tbsp of grease). Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook them over medium high heat for approximately 5 minutes until they are golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic. Then remove the pan from the heat.
- Crumble the bacon and add it back to the pan.
- Then stir in the cream of mushroom soups, milk and salt and pepper. Then gently fold in the green beans and 2 cups of the French fried onions into the mixture.
- Pour this mixture in a casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stir the mixture and then top with the remaining french fried onions.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Casserole Recipes:
- Easy Green Beans Casserole Recipe
- Skillet Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Asparagus Casserole Recipe
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Crockpot Green Bean Casserole Recipe