This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Make Cheesy Green Bean Casserole for an easy side dish to your holiday table. Add cheese to your classic recipe for amazing flavor.
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole Recipe:
Green Bean Casserole is a must for our holiday dinner. This classic recipe is easy to make and is made with simple ingredients. We decided to add cheese to change the flavoring and it was so delicious.
If you have been following for awhile, you know I love simple recipes. You all loved my classic Green Bean Casserole because how simple it is to make. Now we added bacon and made Green Bean Casserole with Bacon and my family was so excited.
Impress your guest this year and add cheese to your green bean casserole. The creamy, cheesy texture will have everyone coming back for more.
- Frozen Green Beans
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Black Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese
- French Fried Onions
How to Make Cheesy Green Bean Casserole:
- Prepare Oven – Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix ingredients – In a large bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup and ½ cup of milk. Then add in the salt, pepper and 1 cup cheese.
- Add in Green Beans and onions – Stir in the green beans and half of the french fried onions.
- Add to dish – Pour this mixture in a prepared baking dish.
- Bake casserole – Bake for 30 minutes, stir the mixture and then top with the remaining cheese and remaining onions on top.
- Continue Baking – Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Enjoy – Serve and enjoy.
Green Bean Cheesy Casserole Tips:
- No need to cover – You do not need to cover green bean cheesy casserole while baking. We like the french onions to get extra crispy and golden brown. We also like the cheese to be extra melty.
- Green Beans – We used frozen green beans in the casserole dish, but you can use canned green beans. It will take about 3 cans of green beans and they will need to be drained. You can also use fresh green beans.
Can Cheesy Green Bean Casserole be prepared ahead of time?
This casserole can be made up to 24 hours before serving. Instead of baking it, cool the casserole completely, cover it with foil or plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator.
Then when you are ready to bake it, let it sit at room temperature before baking. Add an additional 10-15 minutes to the bake time to make sure the casserole is heated through.
When preparing our Thanksgiving menu, I like to make note of the recipes that I can make ahead of time. This one is always on the list.
- Cheese – We used shredded cheddar cheese but you can use mix a combination of parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar with the other ingredients. This combination makes extra cheesy.
- Mushrooms – We used cream of mushroom soup, but you easily use fresh mushrooms that have been sauteed a bit.
- Cream Soup – Instead of using cream of mushroom soup, you can use cream of chicken or cream of celery. Use what you prefer and what you have.
- Crushed Crackers – You can add a layer of crushed crackers for an extra crunch to the casserole.
- Fresh Onion – For added flavor, you can always add in some fresh onion.
- Slow Cooker – You can also make this casserole dish in the slow cooker. We like making it in the slow cooker to save space for the oven.
- Chicken Brown – You can mix in some chicken broth to add flavor.
What to Serve with Green Bean Casserole?
Green Bean Casserole is a traditional side at our Thanksgiving dinner. It is almost as important as the turkey and ham. I make every year, but this year I am going to surprise the family by adding cheese.
These are our favorite sides to serve with this casserole dish.
- Easy Crock Pot Ham Recipe. Cooking ham in the crock pot is a great way to free up your oven space in the crock pot. Plus you will love how amazing it taste.
- Roasted Turkey – This Roasted Turkey is tender, juicy and packed with flavor. This oven baked turkey is so easy and really delicious.
- Mac and Cheese – This macaroni and cheese recipe is so creamy and delicious. We make this through out the year but we loving serving at the holidays the most.
How to Store:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
How to Reheat:
Reheating your green bean casserole is easy to do. If you have a small serving, you can reheat in the microwave. Slowly reheat in 30 second intervals so you don’t overcook the green beans.
You can also place the leftovers in a casserole dish and reheat in the oven. Preheat the over to 350 degrees and heat for about 10 minutes.
What Can I Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup?
We like to use canned cream of mushroom soup for the convenience of it. But you can make your own with simple ingredients.
Making homemade cream of soups for your recipes saves time and money. We also like to make them so we know the ingredients we are adding to our recipes. You can also make them gluten free.
Print Recipe here Cheesy Green Bean Casserole:
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, milk, salt, pepper and 1 cup cheese.
- Stir in the green beans and half of the french fried onions.
- Pour this mixture in a casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stir the mixture and then top with the remaining cheese and french fried onions.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Casserole Side Dish:
- Cracker Barrel Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 5 Ingredient Corn Casserole Recipe
- Asparagus Casserole Recipe
- Easy Jalapeno Corn Casserole Recipe