Cheesy potato casserole is a super easy side dish and perfect for any holiday, family dinner and more. Tons of cheese, creamy potatoes and more combine for the absolute best cheesy potatoes.
Are you ready for a delicious cheesy potato casserole?
Once you try this cheesy potato casserole, you will love it! This isn’t the best side dish option for a regular weeknight meal, but it is perfect for any holiday or gathering.
Since Easter is almost here, I wanted to share our favorite cheesy potato casserole. I bring it to our Christmas eve parties and it is now requested year after year.
It isn’t the healthiest dish in the world, but it is delicious! It is also very EASY to make.
No peeling or chopping, because I use hashbrown potatoes! If you can mix and dump, then you can make this cheesy potato casserole
We even have a slow cooker version and you can make crockpot cheesy potatoes for another option.
What ingredients do you need to make cheesy potatoes?
- frozen hashbrowns (shredded or diced)
- cream of chicken soup
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
This all comes together for an absolute amazing side dish!
How to make cheesy potato casserole with diced potatoes?
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Next, spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
Take your bag of frozen hashbrowns and break them up in the bag. You don’t want any large pieces.
In a large bowl combine the onion, cheese, milk, cream of chicken and sour cream. Make sure this is well combined.
Mix in the hashbrowns until everything is coated.
Pour into your pan and top with remaining cheese.
Bake and enjoy. It is that easy!
Keep reading for the full recipe.
Salt and pepper to taste.
This is the best cheesy potatoes!
You will have to try out this recipe this weekend!
It is very easy to make!
My favorite part is how easy it is to make. Since you are not peeling or slicing real potatoes, you can have this in the oven in under 10 minutes. Plus you can also combine it the day before, so all you have to do is plop it in the oven the next day!
Next time you are needing a delicious dish for Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, any holiday, a BBQ, or any potluck, remember this recipe!
Variation ideas for cheesy potato casserole:
- top with bacon. Yum!
- Mix in a packet of ranch mix. This gives the potatoes even more flavor!
- Top with crushed corn flakes on top.
- Top with crunchy fried onions on top just like you do on green bean casserole.
- Add bell peppers
- Use different types of potatoes- shredded, diced or even the ones with veggies in the mix.
What to pair with cheesy potatoes?
Since we normally make cheesy potatoes around the holidays, we often make this easy 4 Ingredient Crock pot Ham Recipe to go with the potatoes. It is amazing and so simple in the slow cooker.
The ham is tender and flavorful with very little work. Plus, the cheesy potatoes are amazing with the ham!
I also like to serve with this Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole. Yum!
Baked beans are also really tasty with this.
Tips for making ore ida cheesy potato casserole:
One of our favorite time saving tips is to use a small food chopper or processor to quickly and easily chop the onions. If you do not have one of these, I highly recommend them.
They are such a time saver. I usually just chop the entire vegetable and freeze what I don’t need.
It’s so nice to be able to just take diced onion out of the freezer for recipes. This is how I meal prep. It’s so quick and easy and helps get dinner on the table fast.
The recipe calls for onion but sometimes we also add bell peppers. It adds even more flavor!
I use the disposable pans if I am taking this meal somewhere. That also helps with clean up on those busy nights.
This dish is also perfect to take to potluck dinners or to someone recovering from surgery or with a new baby.
It’s nice to just be able to toss the dish. Plus, they don’t have to worry about trying to get it back to you.
I often will make 2 of these and put one in the freezer. It does not take any more work and you can have an extra for later.
Try cheesy potatoes this week!
It is the best comfort food and your family will love this easy potato casserole. We love to top with green onion and it just looks so pretty!
The hash brown potatoes are so amazing and cheesy. Once you make this, you will love it.
I made it once and now everyone asks for it again and again. It is my most requested dish at holidays, family gatherings and more. It is amazing!
Plus, it is so simple and easy so I do not mind at all making it. It is so very easy and not hard at all.
Let us know once you try it and how you like it. I have a feeling it will be a huge hit.
Print this Cheesy potato casserole below:
- 1 package of frozen hashbrowns (they can be shredded, the can be diced, they have have the peppers in them... any kind you want)
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of milk (just fill up the canned soup with milk)
- ½ onion chopped (this is optional) - you can add anything from bacon to bell peppers
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream (I have even used a half of container and it is good)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Take your frozen hashbrowns and break them up in the bag.
- In a large bowl combine the onion (or whatever else you want to include), 1 cup of cheese, the milk, and the cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Stir to combine.
- Mix in the hasbhrowns and stir to coat.
- Pour into a 9x13 pan. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake covered in preheated oven for 40 -50 minutes. I take the foil off the last 10 to 15 minutes so the cheese gets nice and brown.
Make a microwave baked potato in only minutes. The results are amazing!
Make this easy Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes recipe and never buy the store bought packaged scalloped potatoes again.
Find more easy side dish recipes here: