Crock pot sweet potato casserole is a delicious blend of diced sweet potatoes coated in brown sugar and more. Each bite is topped with pecans and mini marshmallows.
Sweet Potato Crock Pot Recipe:
Sweet potatoes are simply amazing. They are sweet and delicious. I think they taste even better slow cooked.
This casserole is so tasty and the crock pot makes it really easy.
We have a traditional Sweet Potato Casserole we also make. This new recipe is a bit different because the potatoes are diced and not mashed.
It’s really good and the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving and more. The dish is not expensive at all and always a crowd pleaser.
You’ll need a crock pot for this recipe:
I use a 6 quart crock pot to make this sweet potato recipe.
If you don’t have a crock pot yet, there are some nice ones on sale. I love the programmable crock pot so that the slow cooker will automatically switch to the keep warming setting after it cooks.
It will cut off for when you programmed it, and keep it warm until you are ready to eat. I LOVE this feature and it is perfect especially during the holidays. Also it seals close so you can transport it.
I also love my Instant Pot Aura. This is a great crock pot as it has multiple cook features. You can sauté, bake or slow cook in the same appliance.
That means one more less pan to cook for most recipes. This has become my new favorite crock pot just because of that one feature!
Sweet Potato Casserole Crock Pot Recipe
- Sweet Potatoes – They need to be peeled and diced
- Butter– I use unsalted butter and it will need to be melted for this recipe.
- Brown Sugar – light or dark. It doesn’t matter so use what you prefer. Don’t skip this ingredient as it adds a delicious sweetness to this casserole.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract
- Pecan– chopped
- Miniature Marshmallows
Which sweet potatoes to chose for this casserole?
Make sure to use fresh sweet potatoes that do not have any root growing off of them.
I like to use medium size sweet potatoes to make this delicious side dish recipe.
How to make crock pot sweet potato casserole:
First, get out a small bowl. Add the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract and mix together.
Spray the crock pot inserts with a non stick cooking spray for easy clean up.
Second, put the diced sweet potatoes in a 4-6 quart crock pot.
Next, add the butter mixture to the crock pot. Mix everything together and toss the sweet potatoes so they are coated in the butter mixture.
Now, put the chopped pecans on top of the sweet potatoes and add the lid.
How Long to Cook Sweet Potato Casserole in a Crock Pot
Let the casserole cook on low for 7-8 hours or you can cook on high for 3-4 hours until the potatoes are soft and tender.
During the last 10 to 15 minutes add the marshmallows and put the lid back on. You just want them to melt a little bit.
I told you it was easy. Enjoy!
Keep reading for the nutrition information.
Prepping Sweet Potatoes for Casserole
The potatoes need to be peeled and diced for this recipe. You can do some prep work ahead of time if you prefer.
To save time, peel and chop up to a day in advance. Just make sure to keep them in a bowl of water in the fridge so they don’t brown.
Can you put raw sweet potatoes in a slow cooker?
Yes, sweet potatoes cook great in a crock pot. Just place them in a crock pot raw and they’ll cook perfectly.
Why is the top not brown?
The top of this casserole will not brown when made in a crock pot. If your crock pot insert is oven safe, you can put the entire insert in the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes. This will brown the top of this sweet potato casserole.
However, if you are using a crock pot with a ceramic insert do not put this insert in the oven as it will crack.
I do remove the lid from the crock pot for the last 15-20 minutes so any extra moisture will cook off.
How to Store Leftovers:
You can store in the fridge for 3-4 days. Just make sure you use a lid and it is covered well.
The casserole can be placed in another container with a lid or you can put the crock pot insert in the fridge.
- Use your favorite type of nuts. – The pecan topping in the recipe is optional. It will also be good with any of your favorite type of nuts. Walnuts or almonds would be great too!
- We used mini marshmallows but you can use regular size marshmallows as well. I think either one would be delicious.
- You can mash the sweet potatoes.
- This recipe leaves the potatoes diced. However, if you prefer you can use a potato masher and mash them.
- If you like things sweeter, add a little bit of maple syrup or honey to the sweet potatoes before cooking.
Tips for slow cooker sweet potato casserole:
- If you have a lot of other things to cook, it is helpful to do the prep work in advance by going ahead and peeling and dicing the potatoes.
- Make sure to peel the sweet potatoes entirely. The skin adds a toughness to the casserole so make sure to remove all the skin will peeling.
- Dice the sweet potatoes into even pieces. This will ensure that the sweet potatoes cook evenly. Try to get them in as even as sizes as possible.
This is quick and easy. You will love it! I just think sweet potatoes go hand in hand with Thanksgiving, Easter and really any day of the week!
It is so simple to prepare with very few ingredients. The results are absolutely delicious and the kids love all of the marshmallows.
Print recipe blow for crock pot sweet potato casserole:
Crock pot sweet potato casserole
- 4 lbs Sweet Potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Butter melted
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Pecans chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Miniature Marshmallows
- Mix together the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract together in a small bowl.
- Place the diced sweet potatoes in a 4-6 quart crock pot. Stir in the butter mixture and toss the sweet potatoes to coat the sweet potatoes in the butter mixture. Top it with the chopped pecans.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until the potatoes are soft.
- Place the marshmallows on top for the last 10-15 minutes to softly melt the marshmallows.
- Serve it immediately and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More thanksgiving side dish recipes:
- Crockpot Stuffing
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Crock Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Crock Pot Cheesy Potato Casserole
- See our Full post on 50 Easy Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes or check out our other Crockpot Side Dishes.