This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe is super easy but the best comfort food. Use mashed potatoes and all of your favorite toppings to make delicious leftover mashed potatoes cake.
We always have so much leftovers after our holiday meal. We love to use the leftovers to make turkey pot pie and 15 Bean Soup with Ham Recipe. Using the leftover mashed potatoes to make these potato cakes was also a hit.
My kids love mashed potatoes and can eat them with every meal. If you are stuck with a whole container of mashed potatoes make these potato cakes. You can even make mashed sweet potatoes cakes to use up those leftovers.
Table of Contents
What are Mashed Potato Pancake:
This is the perfect to use up Thanksgiving leftovers. Your leftover mashed potato recipes is formed into a patties and fried to perfect but still soft on the inside.
They can be made with a variation of add-ins and then topped with sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- Left Over Mashed Potatoes
- Electric Skillet (this is the one we use)
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe in the recipe card.
- Additions – Add in Monterrey Jack Cheese, mozzarella cheese, bacon, green chilis or green onion into the potato mixture before frying. Parmesan cheese is also a great addition.
- Seasoning – Feel free to add in fresh herbs, garlic, chives, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper for added flavor.
- Veggies – Make veggie packed mashed potato cakes. This is a great way to get your kiddos to eat more vegetables. Try adding bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, onion. They are all delicious.
- Gluten-Free Flour – Feel free to make this recipe with almond flour. This variation will still taste amazing.
How to Make Potato Pancakes from Mashed Potatoes:
Step 1 – Beat the eggs with the flour in a large bowl.
Step 2 – Mix with the left over mashed potatoes to combine.
Step 3 – Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add butter to the skillet and allow it to melt and spread it around with a spatula.
Step 4 – Spoon the mashed potatoes portions by ¼ cup on the skillet. Allow the patties to cook golden brown. Then flip and smash the potato cake down so it flattens more and allow it to brown.
- Mashed Potatoes – Feel free to make this recipe with any type of mashed potatoes. They do work best with mashed potatoes without the skin.
- Shaping Pancakes – You can use a cookie scoop or a measuring cup to shape the pancake mixture. But we find it best to use your hands.
- Cooking Potato Cakes – Cook the pancakes in butter or oil of your choice.
What to Serve with Mashed Potato Cakes:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Store you leftover potato cakes in an airtight container in the fridge. They will last about 5 days if stored properly.
When you are ready to serve again, heat oil in a skillet. Then place pancake in skillet and reheat. We do not recommend reheating in the microwave as it will lost the crispiness.
More Easy Potato Recipes:
- Pan Fried Potatoes Recipe
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
- Microwave Baked Potatoes
- Crock Pot Cheesy Potato Casserole
We love hearing from you. Make sure to leave us a comment in you make this leftover mashed potato pancakes recipe.
Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe
- Beat the 2 eggs with the flour in a mixing bowl.
- Mix with the left over mashed potatoes and stir until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter to the skillet and spread it around with a spatula.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes by ¼ cup on the skillet. Flatten the mixture out until it's approximately ½ inch thick.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Then flip and smash the potato cake down so it flattens more and the cook the other side for 3-4 more minutes until the other side is browned.
- Remove from the skillet. Serve warm topped with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe