This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Try Mashed Sweet Potatoes for a fun twist on classic mashed potatoes. Each bite is sweet and buttery and the recipe is so easy to make.
This Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe is loaded with flavor. The creamy texture and the sweet flavor makes it a family favorite. They are perfect for the holidays or added to an easy weeknight meal.
If you enjoy these mashed sweet potatoes as much as I think you will, try my Pan Fried Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes recipe. But you also might love Garlic Mashed Potatoes, or Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
Table of Contents
Why this Recipe Works:
Sweet potatoes are a must for our Thanksgiving meal. There are many ways to make them and this simple recipe is one of our favorites. You just need a few ingredients which makes them a budget friendly side dish recipe.
We still make our classic Mashed Potato Recipe, but this just gives everyone another option.
- Sweet Potatoes
- Salt and Black Pepper
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe card.
- Add-Ins – This is optional but sometimes I also add a little bit of maple syrup or brown sugar to the sweet potatoes. It is so good and my kids go crazy over it. It taste just like a sweet potato casserole.
- Seasoning – For added flavor, feel free to add in a teaspoon of ground cinnamon. We have even added in fresh herbs such fresh thyme or rosemary for a savory flavor.
- Milk – For a creamier texture, you can substitute the milk for heavy cream. For a dairy free option, mix in almond milk.
- Sour Cream – We have even made this recipe with sour cream and fresh parsley. Serve topped with parmesan cheese for a delicious variation.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Step 1 – Peel and dice the sweet potatoes.
- Step 2 – Put the diced sweet potatoes in a large pot full of water. I like to use a large stockpot so that there is enough water to cover the potatoes and it does not boil over. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Step 3 – Drain the potatoes and let them sit a few minutes so any excess water can evaporate.
- Step 4 – Put the potatoes back in the stock pot or you can use a bowl and add the butter. Use a hand mixer or potato masher to blend everything together. Slowly add the milk as you mix the potatoes until they are the consistency you like.
- Step 5 – Sprinkle with salt and serve.
- Prepare Sweet Potatoes – We like to peel the sweet potatoes and cut in about the same size pieces. This ensures that the sweet potatoes cook evenly.
- Cooking Sweet Potatoes – I like to boil the sweet potatoes in a large pot covered with enough water. We like using a Dutch Oven to evenly boil the potatoes. They sweet potatoes should be fork tender when they are ready to mash.
- Mash Sweet Potatoes – Mash the sweet potatoes with a hand mixer or a potato masher. Slowly add in the milk so that your sweet potatoes are not runny.
How Long to Boil Sweet Potatoes:
Boil the sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes. We recommend covering the sweet potatoes while cooking, as they cook faster. If they are fork tender, they are finished cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions:
If you need an alternative to milk, try using coconut milk for a tasty dairy free option.
Yes, peel the potatoes before boiling. If you like the texture that the peelings add to mashed potatoes, you can certainly leave them on. However, we prefer to peel them and have a smooth consistency in the mashed potatoes.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They will last up to 4 days.
These mashed sweet potatoes are freezer-friendly. Scoop the cooled leftovers in a freezer container or a zip lock bag. They will stay fresh for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, allow to thaw on the counter and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More Sweet Potato Recipes to try:
- Pan Fried Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes
- Crock Pot Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
We love hearing from you. If you make this Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe, make sure to leave us a comment or a star review.
Homemade Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Place potatoes in a stockpot filled with water. Make sure there is enough water to cover the potatoes. Cook over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and let the potatoes sit for a few minutes to make sure all the water evaporates off the potatoes.
- Put the potatoes back in the pot and add in the butter. Mix with a hand held mixer. Then gradually add in the milk as you mix until the potatoes are the consistency that you prefer.
- Season with the salt and serve warm. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe