This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes makes the perfect side dish. It is loaded with flavor and it is a twist on a classic casserole recipe.
Easy Hasselback Sweet Potatoes Recipe:
If you are looking for a delicious side dish to impress your family and friends this holiday, make Hasselback Sweet Potatoes. Once you figure out how to slice, add your favorite toppings for easy and delicious dish.
You maybe familiar with Hasselback Potatoes and these are just as delicious. This crispy texture and soft center always makes so delicious. We love making classic sweet potato casserole, but these Hasselback sweet potatoes have become a close second.
Impress your family this holiday with a twist on their favorite sweet potatoes. Top with them a butter and brown sugar topping to add to the sweetness.
What are Hasselback Potatoes?
Hasselback Potatoes thinly sliced potatoes that are baked to perfection. They are from a famous Sweden Restaurant and make the perfect side dish.
How to Cut Hasselback Sweet Potatoes:
These Sweet Potatoes are easy to cut with these simple steps. It is important to follow these steps. To ensure that it does not cut through the entire sweet potatoes.
- Start with a medium size sweet potato on a cutting board.
- We recommend placing wooden skewer or chop sticks to prevent cutting through the potatoes. Place these on the side of potatoes.
- Begin cutting the potatoes ? inch thick slices.
- Make sure to cut almost all the way through the potatoes.
- We like to keep the skin on the potatoes to keep the slices together.
- Sweet Potatoes
- Butter (melted)
- Olive Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
How to Make Hasselback Sweet Potatoes:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven – Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2 – Prepare Sweet Potatoes – Scrub and dry the sweet potatoes.
- Step 3 – Place Sweet Potatoes – Place a sweet potato on a cutting board. Then place 2 wooden spoons or chopsticks on both sides of the sweet potato.
- Step 4 – Cut Sweet Potatoes – Use a sharp knife to cut slices down the length of the potato. That are approximately ⅛ inch thick. The wooden spoons or chopsticks will keep you from cutting all the way through the potato.
- Step 5 – Continue cutting – Continue this process until all the potatoes have been prepared.
- Step 6 – Place on baking sheet – Then place the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Step 7- Combine topping – Stir together the melted butter, oil, salt, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Step 8 – Brush Potatoes – Brush half of this mixture onto the potatoes and in between the slices with a pastry brush.
- Step 9 – Cover with Aluminum Foil – Cover the potatoes loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Step 10 – Remove from Oven – Remove from the oven and uncover. Then brush the remaining butter mixture onto the top of the potatoes.
- Step 11 – Bake Uncovered – Bake (uncovered) for 30-35 more minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Step 12 – Serve – Remove from the oven. Serve warm and enjoy.
- Prepare Medium Sweet Potatoes – Make sure to prepare sweet potatoes by wash and scrub them before baking.
- Slice Sweet Potatoes – Slice the potatoes with the same amount of thickness to ensure the potatoes cook evenly.
- Prepare Baking Sheet Pan – Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil to prepare for baking. This helps for cleanup when serving.
- Oil Potatoes – When adding the oil to the sweet potatoes, make sure to get into the slices.
- Cooking time will vary – Depending on the size of the sweet potatoes and your oven, baking time will vary. If you have smaller potatoes they may take about 30 minutes. But larger potatoes take over an hour.
- Baking Potatoes – You will bake the sweet potatoes covered initially and then uncovered to get the skin nice and crispy. Make sure the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Adding Seasoning – Combine the seasoning in a small bowl then brush on the potatoes. Make sure to be gently so the potatoes slices do not split. Then top with cheese for a crispy texture.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning to top the potatoes. You can season with pepper, paprika, minced garlic, and thyme. You can even add fresh herbs such as parsley, rosemary or chives. It is even topped with garlic herb butter.
- Topping – These sweet potatoes are great sprinkle with finely chopped pecans, chicken, and parmesan cheese. We have even served it topped with sour cream and turkey breast.
- Maple Syrup – We have even drizzled the sweet potato halves with maple syrup for a savory flavor.
Can I Prepare Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can prepare ahead of time by slicing the potatoes. Then place the slice potatoes in the fridge until you are ready to bake and serve.
Can You Freeze Hasselback Sweet Potatoes?
If you like to plan ahead for your holiday dinners, you can easily make these sweet potatoes ahead of time. After baking the sweet potatoes, place them in an air tight container.
Then store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to reheat, allow the sweet potatoes to thaw. Then reheat in the air fryer.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can reheat the leftover in the oven, air fryer or microwave.
Print Recipe for Hasselback Sweet Potatoes:
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub and dry the sweet potatoes.
- Place a sweet potato on a cutting board and place 2 wooden spoons or chopsticks on both sides of the sweet potato.
- Use a sharp knife to cut slices down the length of the potato that are approximately ⅛ inch thick. The wooden spoons or chopsticks will keep you from cutting all the way through the potato.
- Continue this process until all the potatoes have been prepared.
- Then place the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Stir together the butter, oil, salt, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush half of this mixture onto the potatoes and in between the slices with a pastry brush.
- Cover the potatoes loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, uncover and brush the remaining butter mixture onto the top of the potatoes.
- Bake (uncovered) for 30-35 more minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from the oven. Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe