This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Sweet potato pie is a creamy and delicious pie that is perfect for Fall. Try this Southern classic for Thanksgiving or the next potluck. It’s sure to be a hit.
Sweet potato pie with Graham Cracker Crust
This easy recipe is simple to follow and the results are fantastic. Better than store bought, we have the absolute best sweet potato pie recipe for you to try.
This pie has the perfect blend of spices and each bite is rich and delicious. You and your family will love it.
I love sweet potatoes and this pie really allows for the main ingredient to shine. The spices are simple yet delicious. You will not find anything overpowering in this recipe.
Have you tried sweet potato pies in the past that just had too much going on? I did not like other recipes I have tried.
I want to be able to taste the sweet potato. So we took all the work out of this for you and made it easy. We have the perfect blend of everything to make this pie a crowd favorite.
- Large Sweet Potatoes – Generally, I get the large ones because it means less peeling is needed. If you can find large ones, you can get some smaller ones, just get more to make sure you have enough for this pie.
- Granulated Sugar and Brown Sugar (firmly packed) -The combination of both types of sugar is delicious in this pie.
- Instant Vanilla Pudding mix – I love using a pudding mix in this recipe. It add moist and helps the pie hold its form.
- Evaporated Milk
- Large Egg– room temperature. Eggs at room temperature rise easier when baking and mix easier with the other ingredients.
- Gutter– softened at room temperature
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract – This adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this pie recipe.
- Pre-made Graham Cracker Crust – You can make your own if you prefer but I generally use the pre-made ones and they work great.
How to make sweet potato pie
First, you need to cook the sweet potatoes. Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork and wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet.
Next, bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the potatoes are soft. I like to check them at 30 minutes because smaller sweet potatoes cook faster.
The cooking time may vary and you may need longer if the depending on the size of the sweet potatoes.
Once they are finished baking, let the sweet potatoes cool. Remove the foil and the skin from the sweet potatoes.
Some recipes call for boiling the sweet potatoes instead of baking them. However, I think the baked sweet potatoes bring out more flavor so I recommend baking them instead of boiling them.
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie Filling:
Now, it is time to make the pie filling.
Start by placing the sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Then add all of the other ingredients except for the pie crust.
I like to included cinnamon but nutmeg is also great to include.
Mix everything together until it is combined really good with an electric mixer.
This mixture is ready to go. Just pour into your pre-made pie shell.
Time to bake it!
The pie bakes at 450 degrees in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 40 minutes.
Times may vary slightly based on your oven. You want the pie to be set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the pie time to cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes.
How to make Homemade Graham Cracker Crust:
Yes, you can use a homemade graham cracker crust instead of a store bought pie crust. Just simply use a pie plate and one of your favorite pie crust recipes.
What to serve it with?
- Ice cream – vanilla is delicious.
- Whipped cream – This is my favorite topping. Sometimes I even make this homemade whipped cream.
- Cool Whip – This is also a crowd favorite to top this pie with.
Can you use canned sweet potatoes?
No, this pie recipe is best with fresh sweet potatoes. The results are worth it to use fresh!
Can I make this pie ahead of time?
Yes, you can. I usually make this at least 24 hours ahead of time.
Not only does it save time on the actual holiday or event but I think it tastes better.
My family usually enjoys this pie at Thanksgiving and it’s now a traditional to make this pie the night before to save time in the kitchen.
How to store Homemade Sweet Potato Pie:
Allow the pie to cool completely. Once cool, wrap with foil or plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
Do not skip this step. If you put the pie in the fridge before it has totally cooled, condensation will form and this will make the top crack.
Tips for traveling:
If you plan to take this pie on the road, it is worth it to invest in a thermal pie carrier. These are great for keeping the pie in place.
I even spotted some with 2 layers if you need to transport more than 1 pie.
These are so handy and you will get lots of use out of it.
Try this Southern sweet potato pie recipe.
Give this yummy pie recipe a try. While we love pumpkin pie, this sweet potato pie is something different and so delicious.
It will definitely be a crowd pleaser. The pie is just so creamy and flavorful.
Make one of these pies and be prepared for it to be a new holiday tradition! Everyone will love it.
Print this Easy Sweet potato pie recipe:
Sweet Potato Pie
- Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork and wrap in foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes until the potatoes are soft. You may need more cook time depending on the size of your sweet potatoes.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool. Then remove the foil and the skin from the sweet potatoes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add in all the other ingredients except for the pie crust. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour this mixture into the pre-made pie crust.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 40 minutes until the pie is set.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve topped with ice cream, whipped cream or whipped topping and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe