Pan Fried Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes is a healthier version of the normal pan fried potatoes and it’s ready in just over 15 minutes! Everyone will love this super easy side dish!
If you’re not a fan of sweet potatoes, I encourage you to try this skillet sweet potatoes recipe because you might find that you actually really do like them! If not, you have to at least try these pan fried potatoes!
I have a small love for sweet potatoes and pan fried sweet potatoes and onions hit the spot every time! My love for them may be a bit differently than you might think.
Basically, I HATE sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving. Crazy, I know. I don’t understand why people think you should put marshmallows on sweet potatoes. Just because they have the word sweet in their name doesn’t make them a dessert. Marshmallows are meant for chocolate or to make Rice Krispie Treats. Am I right?
I have a different love of Sweet potatoes. I like them savory – I love them salty. If my family didn’t complain, we would eat them every night.
They are good for you and if you cook them just right… they are fabulous! And really, you can’t go wrong with a 20 minute side dish!
My favorite way to cook sweet potatoes is to pan fry them. You don’t have to use much oil, but when you mix them with regular potatoes, you get a party in that pan.
If your family isn’t a fan of sweet potatoes, then you should really try this recipe… you just might change their mind. The potatoes mixed with the sweet potatoes is the perfect combination.
Do sweet potatoes and regular potatoes cook the same?
Generally speaking, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes take about the same time to cook when you’re pan frying them. If anything the sweet potatoes might cook a little quicker.
If you’re worried about it, you can always cut your sweet potatoes a little thicker than your regular potatoes so that they have about the same consistency when you’re done.
Ingredients you need:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Russet Potatoes
- Vegetable Oil (olive oil will work, too!)
- Salt and Pepper
How to pan fry potatoes and sweet potatoes:
- First, you need to peel and slice your potatoes. You’ll want them to be about ⅛ of an inch thick. Don’t worry about making them perfect, but try to get them close to the same thickness so that they cook uniform. Also, chop up your onion into bite-sized pieces.
- Then, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. I like to use a cast iron skillet, but any skillet will do.
- After the oil is hot, add the sliced potatoes to the skillet and season them with salt (table salt or sea salt will work) and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cover the skillet with a lid. Allow the potatoes to cook, covered, for about 10 minutes. You need to stir the potatoes frequently so that they don’t stick and burn in your skillet.
- Next, gently stir in the onions. Cover your skillet and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally like before. Cook your potatoes until the potatoes are tender and browned around the edges.
Print your Pan-Fried Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes recipe below:
Pan-Fried Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 3 Medium Size Sweet Potatoes sliced into 1/8" thick slices
- 3 medium russet potatoes sliced into 1/8" thick slices
- 1/2 onion chopped (Optional)
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the potatoes and season them with the salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium heat and cover the skillet with a lid.
- Allow the potatoes to cook covered for approximately 10 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Then gently stir in the onions. Cover and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes (stirring frequently) until the potatoes are browned around the edges and tender.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
I know you will love this fun and easy recipe. Make sure you add it to your menu next week.