Learn how to make this Crockpot potato soup recipe for the absolute best comfort food. The slow cooker does all the work to make the creamiest potato soup that will impress the entire family.
Crockpot potato soup recipe
Do you love potato soup but need a recipe that will work for the slow cooker? This 5 Ingredient Crock Pot Potato Soup makes the most delicious soup without any of the work.
We absolutely love potato soup around here and I was so happy to be able to use my crockpot. It is so nice coming home to dinner waiting.
- large russet potatoes (you can substitute with any kind of potato
- onion -diced
- chicken broth
- minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- heavy cream (milk can be used as well)
- sour cream
- Xanthan Gum
- cheddar cheese
- bacon -cooked and crumbled
- green onions
- sour cream (greek yogurt works great too)
- saltine crackers
These are our most favorite toppings but you can use whatever you like in your potato soup.
How to make potato soup from scratch
First, add the peeled and diced potatoes to the slow cooker. Then add the diced onions, chicken broth, seasonings, and butter.
Second, cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or on high 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are tender. You want the potatoes to be soft and fork tender. Just use a fork to test.
Finally, about 30 minutes to an hour before the soup has finished cooking, make the xanthan gum mixture to thicken the soup. If you cannot find xanthan gum, you can use cornstarch or flour to thicken it. See the recipe card for more information.
Use a small mixing bowl and whisk the heavy cream, sour cream, and the xanthan gum together. This will get thick but it’s normal. This is essential for the best creamy potato soup.
The last step is to stir it into the soup. Cook on high for 20 minutes or until the soup thickens.
Serve with your favorite toppings. We prefer cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives and bacon.
What Crock pot to use:
- Make sure you have a good slow cooker. There are some really good ones on sale right now. If you work all day, you may want to invest in a programmable crockpot.
- Another time saving tip is to use Crockpot liners. They make clean up a breeze. Instead of scrubbing and washing the pot, you can just toss the liner. It is practically no clean up.
Tips for crockpot loaded potato soup:
- You need toppings like you would for a loaded baked potato. Make sure you have butter, sour cream, crispy bacon, and chives.
- Serve these toppings along the side of the soup, and everyone can add their own toppings to make their favorite version of potato soup.
- Don’t skip the optional toppings. They really make the soup so amazing.
How do you thicken potato soup?
You can also try using ¼ cup of flour if you prefer using a flour mixture or if you are unable to find Xanthan gum at your local grocery store for this Potato soup recipe.
See How to Thicken Potato Soup for more tips
How to make this soup with hash browns?
If you don’t feel like cutting up the potatoes and want to make this soup even quicker, try using frozen hash browns.
You can substitute a bag of frozen hash browns instead of the the potatoes, and this just got even easier.
This is a great way to make this soup even more simple. The rest of the instructions are the exact same.
You will be surprised how the potato soup will still taste amazing even with using frozen potatoes.
- The recipe calls for russet potatoes, but You can use Yukon gold potatoes instead. Yukon golds really make it thick and creamy. Red potatoes are another option.
- If you prefer a smoother soup that is less chunky, you can use a potato masher to mash potatoes more to reach the desired consistency.
- If you want to be even lazier, you can skip the potatoes and use frozen hash browns. Just use an entire bag and follow the directions the same. You will be how it will still taste great.
- Try stirring bacon and ½ cup of sharp cheddar cheese in the soup right before serving for a different flavor.
- Another idea is Crock Pot Potato Soup with whipping cream. Evaporated milk is another option instead of heavy cream.
Crockpot Loaded Potato Soup is that easy!
You are going to love having this easy recipe to cook for your family. It is such a creamy soup.
It is the best comfort food and the bacon gives it extra flavor. The entire recipe is delicous.
What to serve with Crockpot Loaded Potato Soup
Load up that bowl of soup just like you would a baked potato. The toppings really make the soup so don’t skip this part. Besides the toppings we suggest you serve it with these ideas to make it a complete meal.
- This goes great pared with a salad. Soup and salad is a fun dinner idea.
- Saltine crackers are amazing dipped in this soup recipe.
- Serve with your favorite crusty bread or garlic bread.
- Breadsticks are also a fun option.
- See all our 21 ideas on our What to Serve with Potato Soup
Print this Crockpot potato soup recipe:
Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup
- 5 large russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Xanthan Gum
- Add the potatoes, diced onions, chicken broth, seasonings, and butter to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low 4 to 6 hours, or on high 3-4 hours – until potatoes are soft.
- About 30 to an hour minutes before it is done, in a small mixing bowl whisk the heavy cream, sour cream, and the xanthan gum together. This will get thick.
- Stir into the soup.
- Cook the soup on high for 20 to 30 minutes until the soup thickens slightly.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these easy crock pot soup recipes:
- Crock pot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Crock pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Easy Crockpot Stuffed Peppers Soup Recipe
- Crock Pot Taco Rice Soup Recipe
- Crock pot Crack Potato Soup Recipe