This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crockpot Potato Corn Chowder is the perfect comfort food recipe. This hearty and delicious soup is loaded with potatoes and corn is easy to make.
As a mom of 8, I am an expect of creating delicious crock pot recipes. This slow cooker potato and corn chowder is loaded with flavor and the perfect soup to enjoy all year long and use frozen or fresh corn.
The combination of these ingredients make a delicious sweet and savory soup recipe. Add a side of garlic bread and roasted vegetables to complete this delicious meal.
Table of Contents
- What is Corn Chowder?
- Variations Ideas:
- How to Make Potato Corn Chowder:
- Corn and Potato Chowder Recipe Tips:
- What to Serve with Potato and Corn Chowder:
- What Type of Corn do you Use?
- How to Thicken Potato Corn Chowder:
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- More Easy Corn Chowder Recipes:
- Crock Pot Potato Corn Chowder Recipe
What is Corn Chowder?
Potato Corn Chowder Recipe is a thick and creamy soup that is made with chunks of vegetables. It is a one pot meal that can be made in the slow cooker, instant pot and stove top.
This corn chowder finished off with a cornstarch slurry to thicken the texture. You can use fresh sweet corn or whole kernel corn. It is an amazing dish with delicious flavor.
- Slices Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- Small Onion (diced)
- Rib Celery (sliced)
- Carrot (peeled and diced)
- Minced Garlic
- Dried Thyme Leaves
- Chicken Broth
- Russet Potatoes (peeled and diced)
- Frozen Corn
- Light Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (for serving)
- Green Onions (for serving)
Scroll to the bottom of the post for full ingredients and recipe in the recipe card.
- More Vegetables – You can easily sneak in my vegetables in this creamy soup. Diced up bell peppers, shredded carrots or diced celery are always great options.
- Beans – You can mix in some black beans or pinto beans if you prefer. Both options go well with this soup.
- Add in Chicken – This is a great soup to use leftover chicken in. You can also use rotisserie chicken, chicken thighs, or canned chicken to add some protein to the soup. We have even added in diced up beef stew meat.
- Add in Extra Spice – This corn chowder recipe would be delicious made with a little kick. You can add some hot sauce or tobacco sauce. Sprinkle in some red pepper flakes when serving.
- Diced Tomatoes – This recipe would be delicious with a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies for color and added flavor.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning. We always add in salt and pepper but you can add in other simple seasoning such as garlic powder.
- Chicken Broth – We used chicken broth in this recipe, but you can also use chicken stock.
How to Make Potato Corn Chowder:
Step 1 – Place the potatoes, corn, crispy bacon and onion in slow cooker. Then add in celery, carrot, minced garlic in a crock pot.
Step 2 – Place the potatoes, corn, crispy bacon and onion in slow cooker. Then add in celery, carrot, minced garlic in a crock pot.
- Step 3 – Cover and Cook – Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Cook until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- Step 4 – Make Cornstarch Slurry – In a separate bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and cornstarch. Stir this mixture into the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes to 30 minutes to thicken the soup.
- Step 5 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve warm topped with the cheese and green onions. Enjoy!
Corn and Potato Chowder Recipe Tips:
- Prepare Bacon – Make the bacon ahead of time by cooking it crispy then crumble it into bite size pieces.
- Vegetables – Prepare the vegetables but peeling and dicing about the same size pieces. This allows the veggies to cook evenly in the slow cooker.
- Cooking Time – Cooking time will vary based on your slow cooker. I like to cook the ingredients on low. So I can set it in the morning and it is ready for dinner.
- Cornstarch Slurry – When mixing in the slurry mix, you can use a immersion blender to combine it with the other ingredients.
What to Serve with Potato and Corn Chowder:
Add a side dish to your bowl of corn chowder. This slow cooker corn chowder recipe is a complete meal, but adding a side dish always is a good idea.
Here are some of our favorite options.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich – There is something so comforting and delicious about a classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe. Each bite is loaded with melted cheese that is creamy and amazing. The perfect combination is soup and grilled cheese.
- Homemade Bread – Make these homemade cheese sticks for a delicious combination. You can easily dip the bread into the soup to make sure you get every last drop.
- Salad – Another great combination is soup and salad. It is light and refreshing and the perfect addition to this soup.
What Type of Corn do you Use?
This corn chowder recipe can be made with canned corn, frozen corn or fresh corn. Feel free to use what you prefer. Since corn is the main ingredient in this soup, make to add the correct amount.
- Fresh Corn – If it is in season, then fresh sweet corn on the cob would be delicious. You will need about 10 ears or 4 to 5 cups.
- Frozen Corn – If you want to use frozen corn instead of canned corn. You will need about 2 bags of frozen corn.
How to Thicken Potato Corn Chowder:
To thicken this soup, we recommend making a cornstarch slurry. The combination of the cornstarch and cream allows you to have thick and creamy soup.
I have also removed some of the potatoes and mashed them in a small bowl. Then added the mashed potatoes back into the soup and that allows for a thicker soup.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Refrigerate the potato corn chowder crock pot recipe in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This soup taste even better the next day as the ingredients have time to marinate together.
When you are ready to reheat, and you have a large portion leftover. Place it in a large pot on the stove and reheat. If you are reheating individual servings, place in a microwave safe bowl and reheat. You may need to reheat in 30 second intervals.
More Easy Corn Chowder Recipes:
- Easy Corn Chowder Recipe
- Crock Pot Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
- Potato Corn Chowder
If you try this Crock Pot Potato Corn Chowder Recipe, leave us a comment or a star review. We love hearing from you.
Crock Pot Potato Corn Chowder
- 2 slices Bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 1 Rib Celery sliced
- 1 Carrot peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 Russet Potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 cups Frozen Corn
- 1 cup Light Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese for serving
- Green Onions for serving
- Place the potatoes, corn, bacon, onion, celery, carrot, minced garlic in a crock pot.
- Pour the chicken broth on top and season with the salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream and cornstarch. Stir this mixture into the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes to thicken the soup.
- Serve warm topped with the cheese and green onions. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe