This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Enjoy Olive Garden Breadsticks at home any day of the week. These soft and fluffy breadsticks topped with garlic butter never disappoint.
Olive Garden Breadsticks recipe
Your friends and family will love this copycat recipe for Olive Garden Breadsticks. It is so simple to make at home and really delicious.
These bread sticks are yummy served warm and pairs nicely with a host of dishes. Once you learn how simple it is to prepare Olive Garden breadsticks, you will be hooked. It is an all around great recipe.
If you are crazy over the endless bread basket at Olive Garden, make this recipe today. You are going to love being able to enjoy these soft and fluffy breadsticks at home.
They are so yummy served fresh out of the oven and the garlic butter topping makes it even better.
- warm water
- active dry yeast
- granulated sugar
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Flour, all purpose flour
Garlic Butter Ingredients
- unsalted butter, melted
- garlic powder
How to make Olive Garden Breadsticks:
- Combine the yeast. Mix warm water, instant yeast, and sugar in bowl or mixer. Let stand for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Mix in the olive oil. Add in the olive oil, salt and flour.
- Mix everything together. Knead the dough. Mix with the dough hook for 6-8 minutes on medium low speed until smooth.
- Prepare a bowl for the dough. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray.
- Allow to rise. Let rise until doubled in size. It should be about an hour.
- Preheat the oven. It needs to be set to 425.
- Punch the dough. Punch down the dough and turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Separate the dough. Divide the dough into 12 even portions, approximately 2 oz each.
- Shape into breadsticks. Roll out into 8-9 inch logs and set on baking sheet.
- Allow to rest. Let the breadsticks rest on the baking sheet for 10-15 minutes. The bread needs time to rest before baking. Please do not skip this step.
- Make the topping. While dough is resting, mix together the melted butter, salt and garlic powder to make the garlic butter.
- Bake the bread. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Top with butter. Brush immediately with garlic butter. I love to generously coat each one in this delicious topping. It is so yummy.
How to store:
While these are best served warm, you can still use leftovers. Just make sure they are cool and place inside an airtight container.
When ready to enjoy, reheat for about 5 minutes in the oven set at 350. Wrap the breadsticks in foil so they don’t get too brown on top.
It does not take long to reheat so keep a close eye on them. You can also microwave the breadsticks if you prefer. They will only take a few seconds.
Can Breadsticks be Frozen?
Yes, these breadsticks definitely can be frozen.
- Dough. You can freeze them prior to baking. Shape them into the breadsticks but do not let them rise the second time.
Place into a freezer container and freeze up to 3 months. Just thaw and let them rise at room temperature and then bake.
- Baked. Another options is to freeze the baked breadsticks. Allow them to cool and place inside a freezer container or bag.
They can be frozen up to 2 months. You can reheat them in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
Either option is a great way to freeze these breadsticks. However, if you like fresh baked breadsticks, I would freeze the dough. This will allow you to enjoy just baked bread without all of the prep work involved.
I actually like to keep some in the freezer for dinners and get togethers. It makes it super easy to serve homemade breadsticks without much effort.
Tips for the Best Breadsticks:
- Allow ample time for the breadsticks to rise. This step can’t be rushed or skipped.
- Don’t over bake the breadsticks or they will be dry.
- Also, don’t under the bake or the inside will be doughy.
- These breadsticks are best served warm.
- Unsalted butter is best to use in this recipe. Since you are also using salt in the coating, you do not want it to be overly salty.
This recipe really is simple and easy. While there are a few steps, each one is very easy. Anyone can make this recipe.
- Cheese. Coat the breadsticks with butter and sprinkle your favorite type of cheese on top. Some ideas include: Parmesan, Provolone, Mozzarella and more. Bake until the cheese has melted.
- Cinnamon and Sugar. Try making sweet breadsticks with a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Omit the garlic. Spread melted butter on the breadsticks and then sprinkle with the mixture. If you like the flavor of cinnamon sugar pretzels, you will love this.
We absolutely love the traditional garlic and salt breadsticks. However, both of these options are tasty ways to change the flavor.
Both options are really simple and so delicious. Give them a try for another way to enjoy these.
What Sauces to Serve with Breadsticks?
If you like to dip the breadsticks, try some of our favorite sauces. There are several options and pair nicely with these yummy breadsticks.
- Marinara– This classic dipping sauce is always a crowd pleaser with breadsticks.
- Alfredo– My favorite dipping sauce for breadsticks and this homemade recipe is so easy.
- Pizza Sauce– I love to sprinkle cheese on top of the pizza sauce. Then bake until just melted.
- Ranch – My kids love ranch with everything so this is very popular!
You can use store bought sauces but it is so easy to make homemade. I think they taste better as well. My family loves when I set out several ramekins of various sauces.
Everyone can choose their favorite ones. It works great as an appetizer too. Whenever we do this, everyone raves about it.
Try making these at home.
The next time you are craving these yummy breadsticks, make them at home. You don’t need to make a trip to Olive Garden to enjoy these.
They are so yummy and super easy to make. You are going to love being able to make this recipe at home. Plus, you will also save money.
Get started today and impress your family with these breadsticks served with dinner. They do not disappoint and always turn out fabulous.
Print this Olive Garden Breadsticks recipe below:
Olive Garden Breadsticks
- Mix warm water, yeast, and sugar in bowl or mixer. Let stand for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Add in the olive oil, salt and flour. Mix with the dough hook for 6-8 minutes on medium low speed until smooth.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray. Let rise until doubled in size. It should be about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Punch down the dough and turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into 12 even portions, approximately 2 oz each. Roll out into 8-9 inch logs and set on baking sheet.
- Let rest on the baking sheet for 10-15 minutes.
- While dough is resting, mix together the melted butter, salt and garlic powder to make the garlic butter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Brush immediately with garlic butter.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe