Enjoy this classic Olive garden shrimp scampi recipe at home in minutes. It is the perfect combination of garlic, butter and seasonings all tossed together with pasta and asparagus.
Olive garden shrimp scampi recipe
Fans of Olive Garden will love to make this Shrimp Scampi recipe at home. It tastes just like this classic Olive Garden recipe for a fraction of the price, and you will be shocked how easy it is to make and enjoy this at home.
The sauce is packed with flavor without being heavy. Even my kids that aren’t big asparagus fans will eat the veggie in this recipe. Olive Garden Shrimp Scampi is just an all around delicious dinner idea.
Make this today for a quick and easy meal that tastes like restaurant quality.
Is shrimp scampi breaded?
Traditional shrimp scampi is not breaded. It is sautéed in olive oil, butter and white wine.
Shrimp Scampi Ingredients:
- Raw Fresh Shrimp – Use large shrimp peeled and deveined. You can use frozen shrimp, but make sure to thaw it first.
- Angel Hair Pasta. You can substitute spaghetti noodles if you don’t have angel hair.
- Olive Oil
- White Onion– sliced. If you have children that are picky, you can dice this finely instead.
- dry White Wine – or cooking white wine.
- Minced Garlic. Minced is best but you can also use garlic powder in a pinch.
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and pepper
- stalks of Fresh Asparagus– cut into 2 inch pieces
- Tomato- chopped with the seeds removed
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Parsley – chopped
How to make shrimp scampi:
- First, cook the Angel Hair Pasta. It is best to cook this al dente based on the package instructions. You don’t want it to be mushy.
- Then heat the olive oil over medium heat. Go ahead and add the sliced onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic. Let this cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic. Be sure not to overcook the garlic, or it will become bitter. Your kitchen will smell amazing.
- Next, add the butter, white wine and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Place the lid on and let the wine and lemon juice mixture cook over over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and asparagus to the skillet and season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow this to cook uncovered for 1 to 2 minutes. The shrimp should turn pink and will not look translucent. Cook until the asparagus is slightly tender. Just be careful not to overcook the asparagus.
Pro tip – Asparagus will continue to to cook when you remove it from the heat, so make sure to cook it crispier than you like to avoid eating soggy asparagus.
- Finally, once you have cooked the shrimp, toss the pasta and tomatoes into the skillet that has the shrimp mixture, until mixed completely. Top with the fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese.
What pasta goes best with scampi?
Angel hair pasta is our favorite. It is light and thin. If you prefer a thicker noodle, try using linguine.
If you are eating low carb, you can use zucchini noodles as an alternative to serve over pasta. It is also really tasty and healthy.
What to serve with Shrimp scampi?
- Asparagus. There is already asparagus in the dish but sometimes I will serve more on the side. It is a great way to get more veggies in the kiddos diet.
- Salad. Never underestimate how delicious a simple side salad is. Just use your favorite salad greens and vegetables.
- Breadsticks. These garlic bread cheese sticks are perfect for dipping into the pasta. You can also grab some crusty bread from the bakery and that would be delicious as well. Either option is great but bread is a must in our family.
How do I make shrimp scampi without wine?
You can substitute chicken broth for wine in shrimp scampi, You can also use water but it is more flavorful if you use chicken broth.
If you do use water, I suggest using the pasta water. The extra starch will help when you make the broth.
What kind of white wine to use?
Try to use a good quality wine such as a Sav Blanc. Other ideas include Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay.
How to store leftovers
Place leftover scampi inside an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge up to 3 days.
It makes a great lunch the next day. However, we rarely have leftovers in our family. Everyone loves it so much.
Can shrimp scampi be reheated?
Yes. I like to reheat the shrimp scampi sauce on the stove using a sauce pan. It only takes a few minutes over medium heat.
The pasta can be reheated in the microwave while you reheat the sauce on the stove.
This is so easy.
You are going to love being able to enjoy this at home. It is delicious enough for company but easy enough to cook during the week.
Your family will love this easy shrimp scampi recipe. Everything comes together in about 15 minutes making it so easy.
We love having this for a nice family dinner at home. It is faster than going out and saves us a ton of money.
To complete the meal, try making Olive Garden’s Apple Crostata for dessert.
Print this Copycat Olive Garden Shrimp Scampi Recipe:
Olive Garden Shrimp Scampi
- 1 pound raw Fresh Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 16 oz Angel Hair Pasta
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ White Onion sliced
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- ½ cup Dry White Wine or cooking white wine
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 8 Stalks of Fresh Asparagus cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 Tomato chopped with the seeds removed
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley chopped
- Cook the Angel Hair Pasta based on the package instructions to al dente.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then add in the minced garlic. Cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic.
- Then add the butter, white wine and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the shrimp and asparagus to the skillet. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Cook uncovered for 1-2 minutes until the shrimp is pink and asparagus is just tender (be careful not to overcook the asparagus).
- Then toss the pasta and tomatoes into the skillet with the shrimp mixture.
- Top with the fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Will be making this tonight!!
I made this tonight and all was good. I found by squeezing in a little bit of lemon juice added some zest.
Now I need to go to Olive Garden and try there shrimp scampi, because this was so delish!!! It came out great!!!
This was the greatest recipe ever!!! Will make this again and again!!!