This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If you need an easy meal idea everyone will love, try Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup Recipe. Turn leftover ham into a rich and creamy soup that is the perfect comfort food.
Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
Our family loves soup and it is such an easy meal. We recently made a really delicious and Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup Recipe and it made me think about trying an Easy Ham and Potato Soup recipe.
We all love potato soup so the idea of adding hearty bites of ham just seemed like a really great idea. Plus, it is the perfect meal to use any leftover ham you might have from a big family meal.
Not only is it bursting with flavor and so filling but the slow cooker literally does all the work. I love coming home to dinner waiting and it really cuts down on the chaos around here.
If you want potato soup even faster, you might want to try our Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup Recipe.
- Diced Ham
- Fresh Parsley
- Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Sour Cream
How to make crock pot ham and potato soup
- First, place everything except the heavy cream and sour cream and cornstarch into the slow cooker. I used a 6 quart crock pot for this recipe. The carrot celery and onion give this soup a ton of flavor.
- Then just cook everything on low for 6 to 7 hours. Cooking times vary so you may find it needs 7-8 hours. If you need to cook it in less time, use the high setting for 3 to 3.5 hours.
- When the soup has finished cooking, add the cornstarch into the heavy whipping cream. Then stir this mixture and the sour cream into the crock pot.
- Finally, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or on high for 15 minutes until the soup has thickened. It should turn into a thick and creamy consistency.
- Serve with your favorite crackers. We like saltines or oyster crackers.
- Cornbread. Another good idea is cornbread. It is perfect for dipping or crumbling into the soup.
- Toppings. You can also garnish with diced green onion if you prefer. Shredded cheese is also tasty. Also try a dollop of sour cream and bacon bits.
How To Thicken Potato Soup?
- You can use xanthan gum to thicken the soup. Another option is to substitute 2 tablespoons of corn starch instead of the Xanthan gum to help thicken the soup in the last 15 minutes.
- You can also try using ¼ cup of flour if you prefer using a flour mixture for this soup recipe.
- Another option is to mash a few potatoes in the soup. This really thickens the soup and it is just the perfect consistency.
- Potato flakes also thicken the soup. Sprinkle a few potato flakes to easily thicken the soup.
I prefer to mash a few potatoes to get the desired consistency but you can certainly do whatever option you like. Sometimes I have added cream cheese to thicken the soup.
It changes the taste and texture a bit but we love it for a change in ham and potato soup. You can also use heavy cream for a richer soup.
How to store:
Let the soup cool completely. Place inside an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
Can you freeze potato soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup. Allow it to cool completely and then place in freezer containers or bags.
I prefer to use freezer bags because they freeze flat and take up much less space. The easiest way to do this is to use a cookie sheet to stack the bags until frozen. Then remove the baking sheet and stack the bags in the freezer. See Can you Freeze potato soup for easy tips.
How to make ahead:
This soup will stay good up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Simply make the soup as normal and place in the fridge. Reheat when ready to serve.
Why we love crockpot potato soup with ham:
- This soup is frugal. You can feed a large family inexpensively and everyone gets to enjoy the best comfort food.
- It is a great way to use leftovers. You can use leftover ham to make this soup but even if you have to buy a small pack of ham steaks, it is a great way to stretch your meat. The potatoes and delicious broth stretch the meat and can easily feed a hungry crowd.
- The slow cooker makes it so easy. There are some really good ones on sale right now. If you work all day, you may want to invest in a programmable crockpot. They are awesome because you can set them to start later, or to stop and switch to warm once the dinners are ready.
- This recipe has very little prep work. Toss and go and have this in the slow cooker in less than 20 minutes.
What to serve with potato soup:
- Cheese – Any kind of cheese will do
- Sour Cream – A spoon full of sour cream is amazing in a hot bowl of potato soup.
- Check out all 21 ideas on What to Serve with Potato Soup.
Ham and Potato Soup Crock Pot Recipe
- 4 large russet potatoes peeled and dice into 1 in pieces
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 pound diced ham
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Place everything except for the sour cream, cornstarch, heavy whipping cream in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-3.5 hours until the potatoes are the tenderness that you desire.
- Then stir in the cornstarch into the heavy whipping cream. Stir this mixture and the sour cream into the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or on high for 15 minutes until the soup has thickened.
- Serve with your favorite type of cracker or rolls and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe