We love this creamy Panera Bread Tomato Soup copycat recipe. It is delicious and easy to make. Simple ingredients gives this soup so much flavor.
Copycat Panera Bread Tomato Soup Recipe:
Panera Bread’s Creamy Tomato Soup is always a family favorite. We love going to Panera for their delicious salads, sandwiches and their soups. This tomato soup is creamy, delicious and we love it topped with black pepper focaccia croutons.
Copycat recipes are one of my favorites to create. It saves me time and money making my families favorite recipe at home. Copycat tomato soup at Panera Bread was made with simple ingredients and now it is on our weekly menu.
Serve with a side of grilled cheese or breadsticks to get the very last drop of this creamy, delicious soup. This soup will warm you on a cold day and is tasty to very last drop.
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic
- Peeled Tomatoes (28 oz cans)
- Chicken Broth
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Basil
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese (for serving)
How to Make Panera Bread Tomato Soup:
- Step 1 – Cook Garlic and Onion – Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the garlic and diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent (5-8 minutes).
- Step 2 – Combine Ingredients – Add in the peeled tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar, dried oregano, dried basil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a low simmer. Cook uncovered for 12-14 minutes until the mixture has thickened (stirring occasionally).
- Step 3 – Stir in Heavy Whipping Cream – Stir in the heavy cream and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Step 4 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve warm topped with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Tips for Panera Tomato Soup:
- Blending Ingredients – If you do not have an immersion blender, you can carefully transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Canned Tomatoes – Since tomatoes are the main ingredient in this recipe, I like to use quality tomatoes. Use a brand that you prefer.
- Broth – We used chicken broth in this recipe, but you can use vegetable stock, chicken stock or vegetable broth if you prefer.
- Seasoning – We recommend adding in the dried oregano and dried basil. It gives the soup so much flavor. Fresh basil is also tasty as the perfect topping when you are ready to serve.
- Sweetness – The sugar added adds the perfect amount of sweetness and what is needed to make this tomato soup.
- Thicker Soup – If you prefer that you soup be thicker, you can add in a cornstarch slurry. Add a tablespoon of cornstarch to a cup of cold water. Blend and add to the soup and allow it to heat until thicken.
Perfect Toppings for Creamy Tomato Soup:
This delicious soup is made easily in about 15 minutes. So it is the perfect weeknight meal. There are many different toppings that I set out for my family when serving this soup. These are some of our favorites.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Black Pepper
- Chopped Bacon
What to Serve with Tomato Soup:
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches – A grilled cheese and tomato soup is the perfect combination. We love to dip our sandwich in this creamy soup.
- Bread Sticks – Serving with breadsticks makes sure you get every last drop of the soup.
- Crackers and Cheese – This is a simple side but one of my favorites. I like to crumble crackers in my soup while eating.
- Bacon Sandwich – Make a delicious BLT to pair with this tomato soup for a delicious combination.
- Salads – A nice green salad pairs perfectly with this soup. Makes for a light and healthy lunch or dinner.
- Change the seasoning – Since this soup is made at homemade, change the seasoning to what you have on hand. Add a little spice by adding in some red pepper flakes.
- Tomatoes – We recommend good quality tomatoes when making this soup. Try adding in some fire roasted tomatoes for added flavor.
- Add Vegetables – Feel free to add in some shredded carrots or other vegetables.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. When you are ready to reheat, we recommend reheating on the stove in a sauce pan. This makes sure there is no hot spot.
You can also reheat in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl. Reheat in 30 second intervals to make sure that it doesn’t overheat.
Can you Freeze Tomato Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup. I like to put the soup in small pre-portioned containers or bags so that I can easily grab for quick lunches and dinners.
Simply place the ingredients in a freezer bag and then reheat on low when ready to enjoy. We love easy ideas for meal time around here and this soup is a family favorite.
Since we often freeze small containers of leftovers to enjoy for quick lunches during the week, it saves us time and money. It is such a time saver and really tasty.
Print Recipe here for Panera Bread Tomato Soup:
Panera Bread Tomato Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 2 cans Peeled Tomatoes 28 oz cans
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese for serving
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the garlic and diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent (5-8 minutes).
- Add in the peeled tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar, dried oregano, dried basil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a low simmer. Cook uncovered for 12-14 minutes until the mixture has thickened (stirring occasionally).
- Stir in the heavy whipping cream and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Serve warm topped with parmesan cheese and enjoy!
- If you do not have an immersion blender, you can carefully transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Copycat Panera Bread Recipes:
- Copycat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- Copycat Panera Bread Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Panera Bread Asian Sesame Chicken Salad Recipe