I recently had lunch at Panera and decided to try to make Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup. I am happy to report that this copycat recipe turned out creamy and delicious. It is the best comfort food.
Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
Not that long ago I had lunch at Panera with a friend and I ate their broccoli cheese soup. It was delicious and of course it got me thinking, how can I recreate this?
Well, I am happy to report that I have a wonderful Panera Bread copycat recipe Broccoli Cheese Soup. Just like my Copycat Chicken noodle soup I think you are going to love this easy soup recipe.
I love being able to enjoy great meals at home for a fraction of the price. Plus, it is just not always that convenient to go out. Now, I can make delicious soup at home anytime I want!
Save time and money with this recipe!
Like my other CopyCat recipes, this tastes just like the real deal, but without the “real” price tag.
If you are in the market for a new set of pans, Amazon has a variety of options that has everything you need to make this recipe, Broccoli Cheese Soup.
When we eat this soup I usually put 2 large serving bowls in the center of the table and we serve ourselves right at the table. I like not having to get up to give everyone seconds – and most everyone has seconds of this recipe. Don’t forget the ladle!
We all love this soup and the kids ask for seconds too. It is a big hit around and just the sort of recipe that makes you feel better!
It is literally a big bowl of comfort food. Yum!
What goes good with broccoli and cheese soup?
We love to serve this soup with crackers or warm bread like Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls Recipe. The broth is so delicious that you will want something to dip into the soup and get every last drop.
The soup has the best flavor so you will want to get every single last drop. It is that good.
You can also just grab a loaf of french bread from the bakery and serve the soup with that. Keep it simple and do what is easiest for you!
You could even make a bread bowl like Panera does and serve it in that. The possibilities are endless!
What are the ingredients in the broccoli cheddar soup at Panera?
- Melted Butter
- Half and Half Cream
- Chicken Broth
- Cheddar Cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
The panera broccoli cheddar soup ingredients are so simple!
How to make PANERA’S BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP:
1. In a large pot, sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter until onions are soft. Add in the flour and ¼ cup melted butter. Stir with the onions over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
2. Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let this simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. Add the broccoli and carrots. Simmer on medium-low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
4. Add nutmeg, salt, pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup you can puree it in a blender… but we love the chunks!
5. Enjoy! Jump to recipe below for all the details.
Is this Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup gluten-free?
No, it is not due to the flour in the soup. You can try using a gluten free flour as a substitute in the soup if you need to make it gluten free.
Tip for panera’s broccoli cheddar soup:
This recipe like many calls for diced onions. Another time saving tip is to use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop the onions.
If you do not have one of these, I highly recommend them. They are such a time saver and you can get the veggies really fine if you have children that are picky.
I usually just chop the entire vegetable and freeze what I don’t need. It’s so nice to be able to just take the diced onion out of the freezer for recipes.
This is how I meal prep. It’s so quick and easy and helps get dinner on the table fast.
Learn and how to freeze onions and also how to freeze peppers to save so much time in the kitchen!
Try this panera broccoli cheese soup recipe today!
This delicious soup is perfect to enjoy on a cold day but light enough to enjoy year round. It is such a wonderful soup.
Try this soup this week and see how your family likes it. We all just love this soup.
It comes together quickly on the stove and you can use a dutch oven that is perfect for serving. You can’t go wrong with this amazing soup.
It is the best comfort food!
What to serve with broccoli cheese soup
- Copycat Panera Strawberry Poppyseed Salad
- Slow Cooker Dinner Rolls Recipe
- See What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup for more side dishes.
Print this copycat panera broccoli cheese soup recipe below:
CopyCat Panera recipe – Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ lb fresh broccoli (I used one frozen 10 oz bag and it was perfect)
- 1 carrot (julienned (I used a food processor on pulse for nice slices))
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter until onions are soft. Add in the flour and ¼ cup melted butter. Stir with the onions over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock.
- Add the broccoli and carrots. Simmer, covered on medium-low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt, pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup you can puree it in a blender… but we love the chunks!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this CopyCat Panera recipe – Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Try these other easy copycat recipes:
- Hot Chocolate Starbucks CopyCat Recipe
- Copycat Panera Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Panera Strawberry Poppyseed Salad
- Panera Bread Tomato Soup Recipe
- CopyCat KFC Chicken Pot Pie
- CopyCat Panera Bread Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- FREE CopyCat Girl Scout Recipes
- Crock pot White Hot Chocolate
- Crock pot Pasta Fagioli Soup
Try these other soup recipes:
- Crock pot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Easy Crock pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Black Bean Cilantro Soup
- Easy Crock pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Creamy Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Easy Crock pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Easy Crockpot Stuffed Peppers Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Creamy Taco Soup
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Easy Crock Pot Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Ham and Potato Soup Crock pot Recipe
When do you add the extra 1/4 cup butter and are there extra onions or is this just a typo? (Instruction #3)
Kari – Thank you! It was a typo. I have corrected the post. The 1/4 cup melted butter is added when the flour is added. Also, there are not extra onions to be added so I have removed that duplication. Thank you for letting me know! 🙂
Do you think this soup can be frozen? It sounds delicious! I can’t wait to try it!! 🙂
Can I freeze leftover soup?
What is a serving size?
Can you freeze some for later?
Could I make this in the crock pot? If so what settings and time would you suggest? Thank you!
Yes, I think it would work great. I would cook it on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours in the crock pot. Let us know how it turns out. Thank you!
Just made this and absolutely loved it ??
Carrie,You are a wonderful cook. Thank you for your recipes.
That is one of my fave meals!