If you are looking for an easy way to make homemade dinner rolls, make Slow Cooker Dinner Rolls. Perfect for your holiday dinner and easy to make.
Slow Cooker Dinner Rolls Recipe:
Crockpot dinner rolls is an easy to make homemade fresh rolls. These rolls come out with a crispy texture and soft on the inside. Complete your holiday dinner with these made from scratch dinner rolls slow cooker recipe.
Dinner Rolls are a must with most of our dinner. Whether it is for a weeknight dinner or our holiday meal, we always have some type of bread. Making dinner rolls in the crock pot is an easy ways to serve them without a lot of work.
In less than 2 hours, you can have hot dinner rolls to serve along side your holiday meal. They are perfectly cook and the best dinner roll served with melted butter.
What Size of Crock Pot?
When making these dinner rolls, we used a 6 quart slow cooker. But a 5 quart would work too. If you are needing a recommendation for a new crock pot, we recommend this Instant Pot Aura.
We love that it is a multi-function slow cooker and it has a programmable timer.
- All Purpose Flour
- Warm Water
- Active Dry Yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
- Butter, divided
How to Make Dinner Rolls in the Slow Cooker:
- Mix Yeast with Water – Mix the warm water with the yeast in a large mixing bowl. Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to activate. You’ll know the yeast is activated because the mixture will start to bubble.
- Add in honey, salt and butter – Then stir in the honey, salt and ¼ cup of the melted butter.
- Start Mixing the Dough – Using a dough hook, mix in the flour slowly on medium speed. Slowly add in the flour until the dough is formed. You’ll know the dough is ready when it cleans the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Let dough rest – Then cover the bowl with a towel and let it sit at room temperature for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Divide Dough – Then punch down the dough and divide the dough evenly into 9 even sections. Then roll each section into a ball.
- Line Slow Cooker – Line a 6 quart slow cooker with parchment paper and place the dough balls in the base on the slow cooker on the parchment paper.
- Cook Dough – Cover and cook on high for 1-1/12 hours until the edges are lightly golden brown (the bottom of the rolls should be brown as well).
- Remove Rolls – Then carefully remove the bread from the crock pot using the parchment paper and place on a baking sheet.
- Brush with Melted butter – Brush the top of the rolls with the remaining melted butter.
- Broil Rolls – Then broil them for 1-2 minutes to brown the top of the rolls slightly.
- Serve and Enjoy – Then the rolls are ready to serve and enjoy this easy side dish.
Tips for the Best Crock Pot Dinner Rolls:
- Wheat Flour – You can substitute wheat flour for regular cups of the flour. Either substitute the entire amount or do half and half. I would do half and half so they are not too grainy.
- Parchment Paper – Make sure to line slow cooker with parchment paper.
- Stand Mixer– While you can certainly do this by hand, I prefer to use my stand mixer. It makes it super easy when you use the dough hook.
- Gluten Free – You can also use the 1 to 1 gluten free to make quick and easy gluten free rolls. Just make sure that you use a 1 to 1 option so that the dough will rise correctly.
- Yeast – Make sure the yeast is not expired. If you don’t use it often, it may have expired without you realizing it and the rolls will not rise properly with expired yeast.
- Baked Bread – This recipe can be made in the oven, if you prefer. This Quick 30 Minute Dinner Rolls Recipe is easy to make.
What to Serve with Crockpot Dinner Rolls:
These dinner rolls are so good topped with many things. Here are some of our favorites:
- Homemade Butter – Homemade butter is easy to make with simple recipes. It taste amazing on these homemade dinner rolls.
- Cinnamon Butter – If you love the cinnamon butter they serve at Texas Roadhouse, then you care going to love this copycat recipe.
- Honey – We love to drizzle honey over the tops of freshly cooked dinner rolls.
Variations and Add-Ins:
- Parmesan Cheese – Sprinkle over the top when they are fresh out of the crock pot and you have parmesan rolls. These would go perfect with any Italian Dish. I even like to sprinkle with Garlic salt as well.
- Honey – Drizzle honey on top fresh out of the crock pot, and you have delicious sweet rolls.
- Garlic Rolls – Brush on melted butter fresh out of the oven and sprinkle a little garlic salt on top. This is probably my favorite variation.
How to Freeze and Reheat Homemade Rolls:
You have two options to freeze homemade rolls. You may freeze the balls of dough, or you may freeze them after they have been baked. This is a great way to save time and still enjoy homemade dinner rolls.
These steps will help you freeze the Homemade dough:
- Place in a container – Place them in a foil pan wrap with saran wrap or foil and place in the freezer. I like to spray with cooking spray to prevent from sticking.
- Place in Crock Pot – When you are cook in the slow cooker, place in the fridge to thaw over night. Then cook as recipe indicates.
- Make Sure Thawed – You want to make sure frozen rolls are thawed.
Freezing Leftover Homemade Rolls:
- Cool Rolls – Once they have cooled completely then they are ready to freeze.
- Cover Rolls – Place rolls in a freezer safe container or zip lock freezer bag.
- Ready to Serve – You can bake the rolls from frozen but watch them as they could burn.
Easy Bread Recipe:
Skip the store bought rolls and make these instead. You will really love them. I also like knowing what exactly is going into the rolls. Making in the slow cooker saves time and knowing the slow cooker is doing all the work.
Store bought rolls often have lots of extra preservatives and hidden ingredients. You can rest assured knowing these rolls don’t have a ton of ingredients.
They are just so light and fluffy. Each bite is heavenly. The hardest thing about this recipe is eating only one. We make a lot of crock pot recipes during the year, but this one helps me especially during the holiday season.
Impress your family this holiday season with this Easy Dinner Roll recipe. They will think you spent all day preparing and baking them. This recipe is a great way to save on oven space.
Print Recipe here for Slow Cooker Dinner Rolls:
Slow Cooker Dinner Rolls
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 1 packet active dry yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter divided
- Mix the warm water with the yeast in a large mixing bowl. Cover and let it sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to activate. You’ll know the yeast is activated because the mixture will start to bubble.
- Then stir in the honey, salt and ¼ cup of the melted butter.
- Using a dough hook, mix in the flour slowly on medium speed. Slowly add in the flour until the dough is formed. You’ll know the dough is ready when it cleans the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Then cover the bowl with a towel and let it sit at room temperature for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Then punch down the dough and divide the dough evenly into 9 even sections. Then roll each section into a ball.
- Line a 6 quart slow cooker with parchment paper and place the dough balls in the base on the slow cooker on the parchment paper.
- Cover and cook on high for 1-1/12 hours until the edges are lightly golden brown (the bottom of the rolls should be brown as well).
- Then carefully remove the rolls from the slow cooker using the parchment paper and place on a baking sheet.
- Brush the top of the rolls with the remaining melted butter and then broil them for 1-2 minutes to brown the top of the rolls slightly.
- Then the rolls are ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Crock Pot Sides:
- Slow Cooker Potato Recipe
- Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe