This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Sausage Potato Soup is hearty, creamy and delicious. The soup is perfect cooked on the stovetop but you can easily cook in your slow cooker.
We love making this sausage potato soup. It takes our classic potato soup to the next level by simply adding in Italian Sausage. This soup is rich, hearty and creamy which makes a crowd favorite soup.
Can I Make in the Crock Pot?
We love using our crock pot to cook our favorite soups. This is the perfect soup to make in your slow cooker to come home to after a long day.
- Cook Sausage – To save time on cooking day, prepare and cook your sausage ahead of time. Make sure to drain any excessive grease after cooking the sausage.
- Vegetables – You can add the vegetables and cook soft with the sausage or you can just add to the slow cooker.
- Add to Slow Cooker – On cooking day, place the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook. You will not heavy cream until towards the end of cooking.
- Close lid and Cook – Cook on low for 6 hours or cook on high for 4 hours.
- Heavy Cream – Add in heavy cream and turn your slow cooker on low. Combine with the other ingredients and serve topped with cheese.
- Ground Italian Sausage
- Onion (chopped)
- Minced Ggarlic
- Chicken Broth
- Russet Potatoes (peeled and diced)
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Parmesan Cheese (for serving)
How to Make Sausage Potato Soup:
- Step 1 – Cook Sausage – Brown the sausage with the diced onion in a large pot over medium high heat. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink and is cooked through. Drain off any excess grease.
- Step 2 – Add in Garlic – Then add in the minced garlic. Cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic.
- Step 3 – Add Chicken Broth – Slowly add the chicken broth to the pot. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to clean the bottom of the pan. This is to get the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and add more flavor to the soup.
- Step 4 – Stir in Potatoes – Once all the broth is added, stir in the diced potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Step 5 – Bring to Boil – Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook and stir uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes in the soup are fork tender.
- Step 6 – Make Cornstarch Slurry – In a separate small bowl, whisk together the heavy whipping and cornstarch.
- Step 7 – Turn Heat – Turn the heat up all the soup to medium heat. Then stir in the heavy whipping cream mixture.
- Step 8 – Allow to Thicken – Heat for 3-5 minutes until the cream is heated through and the soup has thickened.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve warm topped with the parmesan cheese and enjoy.
Potato Sausage Soup Recipe Tips:
- Cook Sausage – Make sure to cook sausage prior to mixing with the other ingredients. You want to drain excess grease off before adding the seasoning.
- Combining Ingredients – Combine the ingredients slowly together and heat. You want the mixture to heat for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Heavy Cream – You will mix the heavy cream with the cornstarch to create a cornstarch slurry. You will add this mixture at the end of cooking time for best results.
- Serving – Serve this soup warm with a slice of bread for dipping. Make sure to top with different types of cheese for best results.
How to Thicken Soup:
We love to serve this soup with a thicker broth. Combining the soup with heavy cream and cornstarch creates a delicious slurry. This added to the soup makes it thicken after cooking for about 5 minutes.
Allow the soup to simmer for about 5 minutes makes for a thicker soup.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Sausage – We used Italian Sausage in this recipe but feel free to use different types. You can use turkey sausage, pork sausage or ground beef to make it rich and hearty.
- Vegetables – Feel free to add in other types of vegetables for color and texture. We love to add in celery, carrots, or shredded zucchini.
- Potatoes – We used russet potatoes in this recipe but you can also use Yukon Gold Potatoes or red potatoes. Either one cooks perfectly in this stove top comfort food soup.
- Chicken Broth – This recipe can be made with chicken stock if you prefer. You can also add in vegetable broth for a different variation.
- Spicy – If you prefer a spicy option, add in red pepper flakes. This gives this soup so much flavor.
- Seasoning – We used simple seasoning to make this recipe. You can easily add in garlic powder, onion powder, and more for added flavor.
How Long is Sausage Potato Soup Good For:
Sausage Potato Soup is good for about 5 days. Make sure to store in the fridge. When ready to enjoy again, reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
We think this soup taste even better the next day. The ingredients marinate together overnight to add flavor.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Print Recipe for Sausage Potato Soup:
Sausage Potato Soup
- Brown the sausage with the diced onion in a large pot over medium high heat until the sausage is no longer pink and is cooked through. Drain off any excess grease.
- Then add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until the garlic is aromatic.
- Slowly add the chicken broth to the pot and use a wooden spoon or spatula to clean the bottom of the pan to get the brown bits off the bottom of the pan and add more flavor to the soup.
- Once all the broth is added, stir in the diced potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes in the soup are fork tender.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the heavy whipping and cornstarch.
- Turn the heat up all the soup to medium and stir in the heavy whipping cream mixture.
- Heat for 3-5 minutes until the cream is heated through and the soup has thickened.
- Serve warm topped with the parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe