This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Tender chicken, fresh veggies and a zesty homemade dressing combine for a great grilled chicken salad. This is the perfect Summer salad with tons of flavor.
Grilled Chicken Salad
We love to prepare salads especially in the Summer. This Grilled Chicken Salad is so tasty and hearty enough for even the pickiest eaters.
It is packed with grilled chicken and a ton of veggies. You won’t go hungry eating this filling salad. Each bite has lots of fresh ingredients.
The entire salad is topped with a simple homemade dressing. You probably already have the ingredients on hand. It is light and tangy for the perfect amount of flavor.
The chicken doesn’t take long to cook and the dressing is simple to make. The preparation is minimum for the salad and the entire meal can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Chicken Breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Dried Oregano
FOR THE SALAD:
- Chopped Romaine Lettuce
- Chopped Cherry Tomatoes
- Sliced Red Onion
- Corn on the cob (grilled)
How to grill chicken for salad:
- Preheat your grill. It needs to be over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F).
- Mix together the seasonings. Combine the chicken seasonings together in a small bowl. Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle the seasonings on each chicken breast.
- Grill the chicken. Place the chicken directly on the grill grates and grill the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. You do not have to use a grill pan unless you want to. The chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Allow the chicken to rest. Move the chicken to a separate plate to rest for at least 5 minutes.
How to make dressing:
- Combine ingredients. In a medium bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
How to make Grilled Chicken salad:
- Then in time to prepare the salads. Remove the corn kernels off of the cobs and slice the chicken.
- Divide the lettuce. Place the chopped romaine lettuce in 4 individual serving bowls.
- Add the chicken and toppings to the lettuce. Top each bowl with the chicken, tomatoes, corn, red onions and avocado. We use a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle the salad dressing. Serve immediately and enjoy!
HOW LONG TO GRILL CHICKEN?
Chicken breasts do not take long to cook. They only take about 3 to 5 minutes per side on the grill.
The cooking time will vary based on how thick the chicken is.
How to know when chicken is done?
The easiest and most accurate way is to use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees.
Make sure to insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken breasts. This will ensure accuracy.
We have an instant read thermometer and it is so handy. You never have to guess or cut open the meat.
Grilled chicken salad topping ideas:
- Croutons. You can use store bought or try these easy homemade croutons.
- Tortilla Strips.
- Fried Onions.
- Nuts. Try either walnuts or pecans.
- Boiled Eggs. Chop boiled eggs for a protein packed topping.
- Legumes. Toss a spoonful or two of chickpeas, black beans or pinto beans on the salad.
- Protein. Substitute chicken for shrimp, salmon or tilapia.
- Veggies. You can use what is in season or anything you prefer. This easy salad is so versatile. We love cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli.
- Dressing. This homemade dressing is amazing but feel free to change the dressing. Some ideas include: Blue Cheese, Dijon Mustard and Ranch dressing. Sometimes, I just sprinkle lemon juice and olive oil on top.
- Meat Free. Skip the chicken all together. Add beans with the veggies for a vegetarian option that is filling and delicious.
How to store:
Store the chicken and toppings in separate airtight containers. Place in the fridge and enjoy another great salad for lunch or dinner.
We love leftovers because it is so easy to meal prep. I like to put salad in individual containers and chicken in individual containers.
The next day, we can grab one of each as we head out the door. This saves us from eating lunch at the drive-thru. Not only are we saving money but eating better food too.
We like to take this for lunches on the go, work and even school. The entire family enjoys this meal.
The best grilled chicken salad.
We all love this easy salad recipe. It is so delicious and simple to prepare.
The kitchen stays clean and cool since the chicken is cooked on the grill. The salad ingredients are simple as well. Just a little bit of prep work to chop and that is it.
If you meal prep, this is a great recipe for that. It is also healthy and an all around great meal.
Give it a try for an easy meal that everyone will enjoy. If you have hearty eaters that think salad isn’t a meal, this recipe will change their mind. It is always a crowd pleaser even for the biggest eaters.
It is simply amazing and easy to adapt to everyone’s preference. You can even set out a topping bar and let everyone make their own salad. It is a winner every time!
Print this Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe below:
Grilled Chicken Salad
- FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 4 cups chopped Romaine Lettuce
- 2 cups chopped Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced Red Onion
- 1 Avocado
- 1 corn on the cob grilled
- Preheat your grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F). Combine the chicken seasonings together in a small bowl. Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle the seasonings on each chicken breast.
- Place the chicken directly on the grill grates and grill the chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Move the chicken to a separate plate to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Then in time to prepare the salads. Remove the corn kernels off of the cobs and slice the chicken. Place the chopped romaine lettuce in 4 individual serving bowls. Top each bowl with the chicken, tomatoes, corn, red onions and avocado. Drizzle the dressing on top of each salad.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe