This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix is so easy to make. It adds instant flavor to some of your favorite dishes. Skip the store-bought packet and make your own homemade ranch mix.
This Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix Recipe is easy to make and tastes great. When I found out I needed to stop eating gluten the hardest part was the ranch seasoning packets. Apparently I use them a lot in my cooking.
Homemade Seasoning Recipes save me time and money. I like to be able to change the ingredients to what I prefer and I know exactly what I am adding. Make sure to also check out my Homemade Lawry’s Seasoned Salt Recipe.
Table of Contents
What is Buttermilk Powder?
Dry Buttermilk Powder may just end up being your best kept secret ingredient for dry ranch seasoning mix. Once you start using it, you won’t be able to stop. It definitely helps make the best ranch dressing mix. It makes it so creamy.
Buttermilk powder is made by dehydrating what remains after churning butter. The result is powdered milk, that when it is combined with water creates a creamy liquid that is perfect for cooking with.
You can find buttermilk powder in most grocery stores in the baking aisle. Since it is dried, it has a much longer shelf life than buttermilk.
- Buttermilk powder (can also find in a local grocery store baking aisle)
- Dried Parsley
- Garlic Salt
- Onion Powder
- Dried Chives
- Salt and Black Pepper
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom for the recipe card.
The great thing about this Homemade Ranch Seasoning is you can change the spices. Here are some easy additions or substitutions.
- Teaspoon Dried Dill Weed
- Garlic Powder
- Fine Sea Salt
- Add in Fresh Herbs
How to Make Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
- Step 1 – Mix all the ingredients together including the garlic powder and onion powder. For easy storage, I like to use a mason jar.
- Step 2 – To get a smoother texture I recommend pulsing it into a food processor to make it smooth. This mini food processor is perfect for this.
How to make Homemade Ranch Dressing
If your family is like mine ranch salad dressing is a pantry staple.
- Step 1 – You can easily make your own buttermilk ranch dressing. Mix 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix, ½ cup milk, and ½ cup mayonnaise.
- Step 2 – Mix well and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow it to thicken. If you prefer a thinner dressing, just add additional milk until you reach the desired consistency.
How to Make Ranch Dip
Ranch dip is essential for every vegetable tray.
- Step 1 – To make your own ranch dip, simply combine 1 tablespoon of homemade ranch mix with ¾ cup mayo and ¾ cup sour cream.
- Step 2 – Once combined add 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice. The more lemon juice you add, the more tangy of dip you will have. You can omit the lemon juice or use vinegar if you prefer.
Also, if you want a lower fat version you can substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! The seasoning mix is basically the same, the only difference between ranch dip and ranch dressing is what is mixed with and the thickness.
Ranch dip has mayonnaise with sour cream or yogurt while ranch dressing has milk and mayonnaise.
Store homemade ranch seasoning recipe in an airtight container such as a mason jar.
This recipe makes 1 cup of a mix. I generally use 2 tablespoons of homemade ranch dressing mix to replace 1 grocery store packet.
More Homemade Seasonings
- Homemade Blackened Seasoning Recipe
- How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Easy Homemade Chili Seasoning
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
If you love making homemade seasoning, this ranch seasoning recipe is for you. Try it and leave a comment to let us know how you liked it.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
- Mix all the ingredients together. I placed mine in a mason jar.
- Then stir or shake together.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container. I used a mason jar.
- To get a smoother texture I recommend pulsing it into a food processor to make it smooth.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe